List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we really need another half back flanker? We have more pressing needs surely.

*Tall, KPD to help Weitering.

*Speedy midfielder who can kick.

*goalkicking medium forward who can mark.
No-one on our list is close to his impact by foot. His kicking would immediately be the best at our club by a distance.

So short answer is yes, if it's Houston.

A full pre season for Walsh, get Cerra’s hammy right, build Elijah’s tank and defensive running, see what Lord and Wilson can do and hope Ben Campo can have a debut season like his old man. If we get Rachele I’d be planning to run him through the midfield rotation, maybe even Kemp. I reckon that’ll do it.
Rachelle …is he a Victorian looking to return home?

He would be great.

I think our midfield needs a real good fix. No idea who or where we get them from but our boys apart from Cripps are not going to cut it imo.

I look at filth …they gave up treloar and Adam….they were aggressive to get their mid mix right.

Rachelle …is he a Victorian looking to return home?

He would be great.
No idea if Rachele wants to come but I just think we really lack an X factor type like him capable of kicking goals as a small forward who can run thru the middle (eg De-Goey, Martin in his prime, Rankine). These players are rightly highly sought after and IMO he is the most gettable option for players with that skill set.

I think our midfield needs a real good fix. No idea who or where we get them from but our boys apart from Cripps are not going to cut it imo.
At their best Walsh is a gun and Cerra not far behind. I also think Elijah has a potential to become a star midfielder if he gets fit enough. I’d like to see what happens with these guys before considering any major overhaul. I think we have other more pressing areas of need like a second key defender and an explosive small forward who can also play midfield.

I look at filth …they gave up treloar and Adam….they were aggressive to get their mid mix right.
Yes but the Pies also got a generational talent in Nick Daicos via the F/S which allowed them to let go of guys like Treloar so I don’t think using them as an example is a realistic comparison.

Go get Malcolm Rosas. Has massive pea hearts syndrome like the rest of Fold Toast but he's a massive talent. Charlie Cameron type speed and is a silky finisher, think he'd be better off elsewhere, that club is cancerous for development.

Dropped again this week would only cost a 2nd rounder id think

If we have been looking for a third or second tall that can pinch hit in ruck in the side this season . Is it to much to say it's a bad sign that lemmey name hasn't been put up instead of young as even an emergency . Considering he is at the end of his second year ..

No idea if Rachele wants to come but I just think we really lack an X factor type like him capable of kicking goals as a small forward who can run thru the middle (eg De-Goey, Martin in his prime, Rankine). These players are rightly highly sought after and IMO he is the most gettable option for players with that skill set.

At their best Walsh is a gun and Cerra not far behind. I also think Elijah has a potential to become a star midfielder if he gets fit enough. I’d like to see what happens with these guys before considering any major overhaul. I think we have other more pressing areas of need like a second key defender and an explosive small forward who can also play midfield.

Yes but the Pies also got a generational talent in Nick Daicos via the F/S which allowed them to let go of guys like Treloar so I don’t think using them as an example is a realistic comparison.
Yeah I’m pretty clear in my mind that our mid group is unbalanced. We need variations thru there. We are way too predictable. Teams like crows cut us up. Gws little guys ran rings around us. Sydney cut us up badly. Filth continue to have the edge over us.

Walsh/cerra are not going to change that regardless of how well they train in preseason. Walsh tries his guts out and runs all day but I don’t see a real lot of impact. He gets high possessions when Crippa dominates but we aren’t winning games off back of Walsh/cerra.

Heaven forbid Crippa goes down …we’d be destroyed.

No to Houston. Wanted us to draft him back in the day (3rd round rookie pick), but not for a top 10 pick in this draft, not with those contract numbers.

Very good attacking defender, but with an athletic kit and skill set that is fairly easy to cobble together from any given draft pool. We're not in any great rush to bring in a mature version of such a player at full market price, especially at 27.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No to Houston. Wanted us to draft him back in the day (3rd round rookie pick), but not for a top 10 pick in this draft, not with those contract numbers.

Very good attacking defender, but with an athletic kit and skill set that is fairly easy to cobble together from any given draft pool. We're not in any great rush to bring in a mature version of such a player at full market price, especially at 27.
I agree with you, as good as he is we don’t need another half back, but what if we are planning on playing him through the midfield or even on a wing?

Yeah I’m pretty clear in my mind that our mid group is unbalanced. We need variations thru there. We are way too predictable. Teams like crows cut us up. Gws little guys ran rings around us. Sydney cut us up badly. Filth continue to have the edge over us.

Walsh/cerra are not going to change that regardless of how well they train in preseason. Walsh tries his guts out and runs all day but I don’t see a real lot of impact. He gets high possessions when Crippa dominates but we aren’t winning games off back of Walsh/cerra.

Heaven forbid Crippa goes down …we’d be destroyed.

I still think the more pressing need is an our tall back stocks. The midfield has its flaws but I think it’s still a pretty solid unit. If we could get Rachele he would definitely give us a point of difference if he is played through there. Also don’t underestimate what Elijah could become. He is big and strong, makes quick usually decisive decisions by hand and foot, a booming and accurate kick and has a nice ability to create separation when breaking away from a contest. I reckon with a goos pre season he could become a genuine star next year.

I still think the more pressing need is an our tall back stocks. The midfield has its flaws but I think it’s still a pretty solid unit. If we could get Rachele he would definitely give us a point of difference if he is played through there. Also don’t underestimate what Elijah could become. He is big and strong, makes quick usually decisive decisions by hand and foot, a booming and accurate kick and has a nice ability to create separation when breaking away from a contest. I reckon with a goos pre season he could become a genuine star next year.
Agreed.

EHollands is a little unique in that he’s not quick by foot but he does have an uncanny step that seems to elude oppo so he usually doesn’t get caught HTB and somehow manages to get the ball away. Definitely good to have him rotate through there.

Also agree that a 2nd KPD is our highest priority.

I sense some things will happen this off season.

They’ve already acted on Russell.

I think we’ll delist cunners Marchy and Martin. We just have to. They’ve teased us enough (not deliberately of course).

I’m not sure what to think about campo boys. Not overwhelming based on tid bits here…but they are young and haven’t even step foot inside afl circles. Can only hope they give us something.

Injuries have crippled us far too long. With the above changes and 1-2 good trades we should be ready to go full boar and have a decent crack again next season.

Nothing wrong with exploring all options.

With Huston's contract, is it a case of if Port HAD to offload it to us do we get a draft pick on top like Gold Coast did with Geelong over their deal a year or two ago?

If we have been looking for a third or second tall that can pinch hit in ruck in the side this season . Is it to much to say it's a bad sign that lemmey name hasn't been put up instead of young as even an emergency . Considering he is at the end of his second year ..

Just raw and needs to show more consistency. Starting to show some positive signs but needs another pre season

I agree with you, as good as he is we don’t need another half back, but what if we are planning on playing him through the midfield or even on a wing?

I reckon run and good ball use off HB is an issue for us. Houston is a star. If he wanted to come to us I would do it

Bergman may be a better option as only 21 and won't cost as much

Of the mature options available to us (and the potential price) I rate Haynes as the best available. He is not a genuine KPD, but can play tall.

For posters thinking this is an old bloke at the end and past it, you are wrong. Haynes is currently behind the spectacular list of key/tall options at the disposal of the Giants. Taylor arguably the best KPD in the game, Buckley a very under rated stopper who has developed his offensive game in recent times (ask our Charlie his opinion of Buckley or indeed the 3rd tall Connor Idun) Harry Himmelberg is almost an optional extra in that spectacular defensive unit. GWS are gettable with quality small forwards, we struggle because they are the best around at blunting our star talls. Then they have young KPD Leek Aleer who is only a small downgrade on Taylor and Buckley.

Haynes would be a walk up start at probably any other club in the competition, despite his age. The riches they (GWS) have are to be envied. Haynes has earned a million a year, last year and this off the back of back ended contracts. He is All Australian and B&F. He has been overlooked in favour of an elite young defensive unit. They are paying and playing the now and the future. Haynes reportedly is happy to play for “ordinary” money. Think any offers at GWS would be basic and he is eying a return to Victoria, cutting out interstate suitors.

I would prefer a genuine KPD in the wings and don’t particularly want another third tall type pushing Kemp out of the team, but Haynes has not gone in to massive decline and has some positives on the side of mentorship. We have been bereft of leaders in defence. Bear in mind that our general developed during a dark period of our history and has not had much mentorship of his own.

No brainer for mine. Love the idea of a mentor for Kempy, or someone to release him to be tried in other roles.

Not a fan of the spitballing for the old or flawed players from oppo teams, I want the draft for our next generation of players, but Haynes gives us decent options. Plenty around the league are proving age is just a number. He will be hungry (ravenous) to go out on a high.
I'll come back next season if they nab Haynes. He's so good still. Everything marchbank was supposed to be, probably more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back