List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We get those skills at the draft and via free agency and trade. I genuinely believe the club hadn't identified it as a weakness up until this season and thought Cunners, Martin, Williams etc would be enough this season if they could stay fit and healthy.
This.
We’ve banked on our(quick step players) injury prone players to come good and they haven’t.
It’s hurt us big time imo
The mini revamp should of happened last year

WE don't even need a B+ ruckman. Take the 2 firsts and run, then find whichever ruck is on the discount rack this year and buy cheaply.

We desperately need some young talent after gutting our draft hand for the last 5 drafts trading to find thr 'missing piece'.

If there's a way we get to two first rounders in ahead on Ben Camporeale this year, and two first rounders next year, while only giving up a 25 year old ruck who has one good season so far under his belt... i think we have no choice but to take it.

The only other path i see to genuine improvement is to trade one of the two big forwards for ideally a pick or two, some depth and a younger replacement. Essendon have too many talls by far and might give up depth to add big Harry... Melbourne also desperate.

It would hurt to lose Harry but I genuinely can't see how else we improve our list enough to escape the 6th-10th quagmire we are in now...
"6th-10th quagmire", based on what? Last year we finished 3rd, in '23 we were 9th!! This year isn't even over and you've written it off!
I don't mind the context of your message but Harry would be the last I'd trade, you want some currency see what you'd get for Robin????

TRADE TABLE
  • Zac Williams (salary dump)
  • Adam Cerra
  • Marc Pittonet
  • Adam Saad
  • Jordan Boyd
  • Matt Cottrell
  • Matt Kennedy
  • George Hewett
  • Lachlan Fogarty
  • Corey Durdin
  • Lewis Young
DELIST
  • Caleb Marchbank
  • David Cunningham
  • Domanic Akeui
  • Jack Martin (F/A)
  • Jack Carroll
  • Matt Owies (F/A)
  • Sam Durdin
We'd be trading Owies and Carroll not delisting. And I'd add Jesse Motlop to the trade table list, absolute plodder.

We can very easily improve our list without trading Harry. The issue is our peripheral players don't compliment our big guns whatsoever. Replace the slow plodder types with players with more speed and skill and we're better off, even if they're similar in quality.
Im not suggesting we trade H but we arent going to get much for the poddler types you're talking about (from your previous post) either.

I think sooner or later we (and all afl teams) will be playing the fast pace footy the afl is trying to promote with subtle rule changes.

So we need to look at the players we have and try and trade out players who are not suited to this style.

And bring in new players (draft/trade) who are suit the new modern game style.

We need to bite the bullet and make as much change as possible this off season.

How do we add players with speed and skill? That's the exact combination everyone wants right now and Hawthorn's little run (and demolition of us) is going to make everyone double down on that.

So how do we add that when we have maybe one pick in the top 10, need all the rest for F/S picks (who aren't those traits)...

Slow-ish and clunky by foot (but smart and versatile) has been going cheap the last few years... that's how we got Hollands, Acres, even Hewett all nice and cheap.
I think getting everyone on the same page on what we need is a good start. If I read about Greg Williams being slow, therefore speed isn't important again, I'll spew up. We just keep them coming in and hopefully give some games next year.

Im not suggesting we trade H but we arent going to get much for the poddler types you're talking about (from your previous post) either.

I think sooner or later we (and all afl teams) will be playing the fast pace footy the afl is trying to promote with subtle rule changes.

So we need to look at the players we have and try and trade out players who are not suited to this style.

And bring in new players (draft/trade) who are suit the new modern game style.

We need to bite the bullet and make as much change as possible this off season.
I'm fairly confident the 22 I posted would contend for a flag within 24 months. What we do agree on though, is that this list is built for a prehistoric AFL era. The shift has been clear over the last couple of years - Pace, skill and repeat sprinters are the way the AFL is going.

I would love Austin & Lloyd to explain why we gave Pittonet Young Cottrell Durdin multi year contract extensions long before their seasons were up

These type of deals for fringe players can really restrict list decisions and improvements
Agree 100% list cloggers.

Cottrell is the only one i would justify.

I think getting everyone on the same page on what we need is a good start. If I read about Greg Williams being slow, therefore speed isn't important again, I'll spew up. We just keep them coming in and hopefully give some games next year.
The worst is 'quick decision makers are more important than leg speed because the ball moves faster than players do'. Thats great and all but its impossible to intercept and pressure oppositions kicks if we're constantly trailing our man by 5m due to being slow as snail shite.

There’s a common theme in here tonight with people thinking our trash is somehow valuable.

Pittonet, Motlop and co aren’t bringing home anything decent.

You have to part with a good player. It’s time for one of McKay and Curnow to be on the table.

I believe either player will benefit with the other’s departure.

But if Voss stays, nothing changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s a common theme in here tonight with people thinking our trash is somehow valuable.

You have to part with a good player. It’s time for one of McKay and Curnow to be on the table.

Pittonet and Motlop are not trash. They just don't compliment our list at all. Too slow, not creative, don't provide anything we don't already have an abundance of.

Trading the best key forward of the last 3 years and one of the best key forwards in the comp is not the answer. Not even close.

Hewett, Kennedy, Motlop, Kemp, Owies etc are all players that would get a return, even if it's not a large one. All decent enough players on their own, they are just all as slow as all hell.

We also have 2 full years of draft picks at hand we can utilize.

Unwarranted & poor form 👎

Utter nonsense. Why would I want to put a boot into something I love? It’s a crap day. We learn from it and reload.

I love Saad. Doesn’t mean $700k and pick 8 for a small defender is good list management. But I think you know that which is why you played the poster

The Saad stuff seems a strange hill to die on. Google Adam Saad trade and it comes up 5 years at $650,000, yes we gave up pick 8, but we then got 48 back.

I think we paid slightly over the odds here, but not a great deal.

When we had been banking cap space the previous few years, paying $650,000 for a quality, durable and reliable player was a solid move.

Go your hardest on the Williams deal which was the same trade period, 4 years later and i still dont know if he’s a good player or not.,

It’s the joys of having 7 players on 900k or so plus each year that we are experiencing.

Mckay
Curnow
Walsh
Cripps
Weitering
Tdk
Williams

Then there’s players on very very good pay

Cerra, Saad and Docherty

So 10 players at a guess chewing up around 8.5 million of the 15.8 million cap. So 30 others are on minimal wages really after these 10 mentioned.

IMO we shouldn’t have more than 3 players close to a million on the list. Happy for a shit ton to be on 500k to 700k but the price we are paying our so called elite (6 out of the 7 played today mind you).

Something has to change and maybe either we rejig some contracts or we need to remove at a minimum 1 of our so called elite this off season. But we aren’t winning a premiership with so many players on huge wages and the majority on very minimal. We need more of an even spread.

We all love A grade talent but what I love more is a champion team, not a team of champions. And I think the latter is what we currently have.

I wish people would stop with Salary Cap issues. It is fine and it is also being increased. We have money to bring in players if needed

Firstly and i think you agree, its needed.

So IF we have money, we will bring quality in, IF we have another trade period like last year, then we dont.

Im not interested in what the club says, their actions will speak louder than any words.

We need to trade one of Cerra/Hewett/Kennedy. Honestly I don't care who it is at this stage.
Walsh is the interesting one. Possibly a generational player … but will his body be right? Contracted to 2026 so have some time to find out.
Not sure it’s worth trading any of our other mids.

I would love Austin & Lloyd to explain why we gave Pittonet Young Cottrell Durdin multi year contract extensions long before their seasons were up

These type of deals for fringe players can really restrict list decisions and improvements

I can understand it under the lens that multi year contracts for fringe players gives them some trade value as opposed to losing them for a fourth round pick swap like we did with Samo, Dow and Setters.

Walsh is the interesting one. Possibly a generational player … but will his body be right? Contracted to 2026 so have some time to find out.
Not sure it’s worth trading any of our other mids.
Walsh seems to be a victim of back-to-back years with no pre season. Hes really dropped off the last few weeks, and doesn’t seem to have the running power he had during our winning period

The Saad stuff seems a strange hill to die on. Google Adam Saad trade and it comes up 5 years at $650,000, yes we gave up pick 8, but we then got 48 back.

I think we paid slightly over the odds here, but not a great deal.

When we had been banking cap space the previous few years, paying $650,000 for a quality, durable and reliable player was a solid move.

Go your hardest on the Williams deal which was the same trade period, 4 years later and i still dont know if he’s a good player or not.,
I didn’t want Saad at the time, and even I think it has worked out to be a fair deal for us.

McGovern could be the interesting one this off season.
It'll depend on if Weitering re-signs and if another KPD is interested in playing for us but he could be of interest to a club looking for someone that can play either forward or back.
His injury history probably will keep him at Carlton though.
That's our biggest problem, anyone with even a shred of currency has injury issues.
Only ones off the table should be Cripps, Charlie, McKay and Weitering. Maybe Walsh.
Everyone else should be "gettable."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back