List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I struggle to see any of them that I would be a big addition to our side that we wouldn't have to pay through the nose for. Not a year we should be involved in many trades that aren't shuffling picks/points
Lot of free agents or restricted free agents on that list. No need to trade for them.

With Lester once they gave him the same role week in and week out. He got better and better as he knew his role.
I do think some of our players are not playing the role which best suit them
Berry looks better now he been getting mid minutes.
Bailey I see more as a sneaky forward.. Although we have Charlie, Lohmann there now as well as Rayner, AhChee and Morris.
Why they all do not fire in every game

With Lester once they gave him the same role week in and week out. He got better and better as he knew his role.
I do think some of our players are not playing the role which best suit them
Berry looks better now he been getting mid minutes.
Bailey I see more as a sneaky forward.. Although we have Charlie, Lohmann there now as well as Rayner, AhChee and Morris.
Why they all do not fire in every game

Many on here would say Fagan doesn't move the magnets enough

But only when we're losing

Craven is contracted as a rookie next year

Unless he's been extended, only McLachlan is contracted next year. Beecken and Craven were on six month deals.

Many on here would say Fagan doesn't move the magnets enough

But only when we're losing
Yep some players end up filling whatever spot needed.
Lester was like this
AhChee has been as well.
Some of the kids come in and play not exactly where they where used to from juniors.
Lohmann had a few games where he playing of HB if I remember before Linc/Darcy went down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 months.
From what I have seen I reckon all three mid season recruits are projecting well and have AFL attributes. Both Beecken and Craven should be offered an extension on their current contracts to see how they develop. Beecken especially looks AFL standard already. He is projecting well as a run and carry type player that can break the lines. I wonder if he will become a wingman ? Or is he more suited to the half back line? Several years ago we really did not have that many half back flankers or wingman of AFL standard and now we have an abundance. Our main weakness from what I can see is key backs.

From what I have seen I reckon all three mid season recruits are projecting well and have AFL attributes. Both Beecken and Craven should be offered an extension on their current contracts to see how they develop. Beecken especially looks AFL standard already. He is projecting well as a run and carry type player that can break the lines. I wonder if he will become a wingman ? Or is he more suited to the half back line? Several years ago we really did not have that many half back flankers or wingman of AFL standard and now we have an abundance. Our main weakness from what I can see is key backs.
Key backs are a real worry - we are extremely vulnerable to either Payne or Andrews being injured or heaven forbid both going down. I am sure the Club would be well aware of that.

Key backs are a real worry - we are extremely vulnerable to either Payne or Andrews being injured or heaven forbid both going down. I am sure the Club would be well aware of that.
Maybe we should make a play for unrestricted free agent Josh Battle, not an elite defender but way ahead of Darragh Joyce?

I think most clubs as susceptible to this. Rayner + Ah Chee can play down back, so not absolutely dire.

Joyce made sense for 1 game but I’m not sure what approach we would take to cover Payne or andrews for the rest of the season. Don’t think it would automatically be Joyce.

Maybe we should make a play for unrestricted free agent Josh Battle, not an elite defender but way ahead of Darragh Joyce?
He’s going to get north of $700k. We’re not paying that for a reserve. And he’s got several teams chasing him for their best 22.

Just out of curiosity, would Beecken qualify as a DFA if he didn’t want to re-sign with the Lions because perhaps Crows/Port could already be into him and have something in the table for him if he simply turns his back on the Lions which I guess he’d be entitled to do?

Although this would be unlikely to eventuate I think the best move if Payne or Andrews went down would be Hipwood to defence (Leppitsch style) with a potent small forward line of Daniher, Rayner, Ah Chee, Lohmann, Charlie, Morris + potentially Fort to bring the ball to ground.

I think most clubs as susceptible to this. Rayner + Ah Chee can play down back, so not absolutely dire.

Joyce made sense for 1 game but I’m not sure what approach we would take to cover Payne or andrews for the rest of the season. Don’t think it would automatically be Joyce.
Entice Harry Arnold back to the club if we don’t think Joyce is the answer (I don’t) or has Arnold not progressed in his time at the Swans?

We have had 4 key backs medically retired, over the years to concussion.

Justin Clarke
Jack Frost
Marcus Adams
Matt Maguire

Edited: added Maguire

Last edited:
I think he has been injured quite a lot.
A lot. Arnold's played a grand total of ten games in the VFL since joining Sydney in last year's MSD.

Just out of curiosity, would Beecken qualify as a DFA if he didn’t want to re-sign with the Lions because perhaps Crows/Port could already be into him and have something in the table for him if he simply turns his back on the Lions which I guess he’d be entitled to do?
No.

Rookies can qualify as DFAs after their second year if they're being offered a third year on the rookie list but a senior spot elsewhere. That's at the end of next year for Beecken.

Back