List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Day could be worth a look. Can play but injury prone. Keep him cotton wool until needed.
Problem is that he'd probably get injured when taking the cotton wool off him and miss six weeks

100% agree. I do believe there is the ability for his tackling to really improve. Send him, and a few others, to the Bronco's preseason for some tackling drills. Learn how to stop grabbing and drive the shoulder in. If not that, Courtney Hodder has great technique a lot could learn from. Even Bruuuce could show him a few things. I think he's also gotta stop thinking he's a front rower too, trying to break thru tackles.

I remember a couple years ago Rich doing some side work with the Broncos as a kicking coach here and there.

Wish they’d return the favour and get a broncos player to teach us how to tackle…

I remember a couple years ago Rich doing some side work with the Broncos as a kicking coach here and there.

Wish they’d return the favour and get a broncos player to teach us how to tackle…
I reckon the techniques must be too different to translate. Its not just coming mostly forward at each other, but tackling from different angles and how you have stop the offload and halt momentum is pretty different too

Broncos not huge on tackling this year

Whether it be through trade/FA or even as a delisted FA, we need to bring in at least one extra KPP player for a bit of depth at the end of the year. There’s no guarantee Dizz and/or Doedee make it back or certainly to the same level, but we can’t leave ourselves exposed next year to injuries in that position again.
Yep, I'm with ya. This six week stretch of games for Joyce will tell us how aggressive we need to be in the market for a tall defender. It really is a test for him, possibly career defining.

If Joyce shows good signs, fits well, proves competent or better, he gets a longer contract, better development and we can look lower down the pecking order in the market place to save dollars and/or draft picks. I know this is out of the box but someone like Jack Madgen, that was delisted by Collingwood, still playing in the Sanfl. He's 31, a bit of a spud but he wouldn't cost much of anything but if Joyce proves promise in these 6 games we'd only need Madgen as a break glass replacement.

If Joyce just fairs OK, he still gets a year contract, but he remains as the break glass replacement. We now need to look higher up the pecking order. Payne and Dizzy are injury prone, I don't think that will change. Opportunity will be there for a Barrass-Granger type to take his shot. I think it's something that level player would recognise too. He'd see the chance to crack into a finals team, it might appeal.

Lester, Doedee and Gardiner are our med talls. We have Andrews, Payne and Joyce as genuine talls, Dizzy plays talls well. You'd reckon 6 tall/med talls first grade ready would be enough but this season has shown its maybe not. Fingers crossed there's no more injuries. It makes a case for the need for another one.

Or do we look at this season as a freak event that's unlikely to happen again and stick with what we have.

I reckon the techniques must be too different to translate. Its not just coming mostly forward at each other, but tackling from different angles and how you have stop the offload and halt momentum is pretty different too
I would have agreed with you a couple of decades ago, but not any more. These days rugby league players do truckloads of work in pinning arms to prevent offloads. Think the skillset really is very transferable.

Who are the best wingers in the comp?

I know we have some good young wingmen coming thru, Fletcher, Bruuuce, Sharp took a big step this year, but they are young. Berry n Clugg are spending less time there. If we have the cash etc, should we have a look at getting the best winger we can?

Fwds tall n small were good, if we take this year as an anomaly re tall back injuries were good for tall n small backs, our ruck division is getting better as Henry develops. (Lanes injury or delisting asks questions of need). Our midfield is getting deeper n stronger with Levi n Sam arriving.

I've read on here, not necessarily this thread, that some don't think we use our wingers to best effect. That the wing is an area that needs improvement. Should we chase one? Would a quality genuine wingman make a difference to our team, would it make us better.

Who are the best wingers in the comp?

I know we have some good young wingmen coming thru, Fletcher, Bruuuce, Sharp took a big step this year, but they are young. Berry n Clugg are spending less time there. If we have the cash etc, should we have a look at getting the best winger we can?

Fwds tall n small were good, if we take this year as an anomaly re tall back injuries were good for tall n small backs, our ruck division is getting better as Henry develops. (Lanes injury or delisting asks questions of need). Our midfield is getting deeper n stronger with Levi n Sam arriving.

I've read on here, not necessarily this thread, that some don't think we use our wingers to best effect. That the wing is an area that needs improvement. Should we chase one? Would a quality genuine wingman make a difference to our team, would it make us better.
I have been pushing for us to get a true wingman for quite a few years now.

Berry was our only good winger the last few years. His shoulder issue forced the change, but he has been good. Still is.
McCluggage is a good winger but was always destined to get more midfield time as he got older, and he has.
Fletcher fitted into the role quite well and next year is his third and should get better
Reville has also been good and should improve and be more consistent the more he plays.
Wilmot has filled the wing spot and played well on a few occasions the last 2 years as well.
Ah Chee & Bailey also can fill in.
Sharp can also come in if we have injuries.
Sharp has improved considerably this year but i see all the above ahead of him at present.

I believe the club has now got a good mix of players that can play pure wing or a mixture of wing/mid/forward.

Berry (he will get some midfield run with roles), Fletcher, Reville & presently Ashcroft.
Then you have stints from McCluggage. He gets more wing time if Berry gets a run with role.
Levi Ashcroft comes into the side next year and he also may find some wing time.

Not many list spots available for 2025 either. More of a need for a KPP that won't cost us much or via the draft.

So, it's a no from me now on getting a dedicated good winger from another club that will cost us in some way.

Last edited:
I have been pushing for us to get a true wingman for quite a few years now.

Berry was our only good winger the last few years. His shoulder issue forced the change, but he has been good. Still is.
McCluggage is a good winger but was always destined to get more midfield time as he got older, and he has.
Fletcher fitted into the role quite well and next year is his third and should get better
Reville has also been good and should improve and be more consistent the more he plays.
Wilmot has filled the wing spot and played well on a few occasions the last 2 years as well.
Ah Chee & Bailey also can fill in.
Sharp can also come in if we have injuries.
Sharp has improved considerably this year but i see all the above ahead of him at present.

I believe the club has now got a good mix of players that can play pure wing or a mixture of wing/mid/forward.

Berry (he will get some midfield run with roles), Fletcher, Reville & presently Ashcroft.
Then you have stints from McCluggage. He gets more wing time if Berry gets a run with role.
Levi Ashcroft comes into the side next year and he also may find some wing time.

Not many list spots available for 2025 either. More of a need for a KPP that won't cost us much or via the draft.

So, it's a no from me now on getting a dedicated good winger from another club that will cost us in some way.
Goodo, I agree. Just wanted to pose the question.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to have Nick Blakey although not gettable, never seen anyone bust lines like he does.

When Kiddy went down I thought it could have been a mortal blow to our back 6 rebound game but up steps Zorks, he has been exceptional down back.

Surely must be close to another AA jacket.

I thought this would be his final year but it's a no brainer to extend him, he is currently on 268 games played, if he plays all the remaining 8 games this year(if we make the GF) that would take him to 276 games, he would have to play 24 in 2025 to get to the magical 300 game mark. What an achievement that would be after making your debut as a 23 year old.

Zorko playing on is very good for us. I think next season could see him rested more and used as the sub which could prolong his career and provide maximum impact for us.
I hope so, Zorks would be an excellent sub because he can come in and turn the whole game around, plus he can play on every line.

Given our lack of draft currency given the need to get Levi and perhaps Marshall in the draft, have we been linked to any free-agents or other trade targets whatsover?

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back