List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

No one knows your name or the bank you work for so spill your guys I say and let us know ball park figures.
Yeah nah, I think someone on here already figured out who I was.

As much as I love bigfooty I love getting paid and none of you bums will pay my mortgage if I get fired.

Big O is in that 5-10 top ruckman bracket but can be a top 5 ruckman when rested. I don't think it is feasible to get more than 80% ruck time out of him. He cannot do a Gawn/Grundy and ruck the whole game and have a significant effect. I think we can replicate Joes 50 goals through a combination of Cameron/Rayner/Lohman/Ah Chee/Bailey. Hence, I think replacing Joes ruck minutes is more important than replacing Joes forward craft.

Before Joe in 2019/20 we were reliant on Stef/Big O combo with Cameron as the deepest forward. I think we should go back to such a setup with Fort/Big O and then going smaller with Rayner/Dunkley rotating as playing 'third tall'. I think we should also be giving Smith or Ryan some game time in periods whilst managing Fort/Big Os loads throughout the season and aim for the double ruck/two tall set up for the finals next year. Lloyd should rotate with Morris to keep him fresh.

We should also focus on developing Gardiner/Lester/Doedoe into a defensive forward as an alternative setup. If one of them can genuinely swing between forward and back then we can really flex our matchday 22 into different setups throughout the game (ie play a defensive forward or then switch them back and play Rayner as a more mobile third tall). I don't know how successful that would be. We have seen Gardiner try in 2024. We also saw Lester play some swingman/forward minutes in 2017/18 (remember that goal he kicked against the Dons to get us one of our handful of wins in the spoon year?). We have seen McStay play a similar role before he left. I think negating a Darcy Moore type is just as important as kicking 2-3 goals a game.

I think we should either recruit a DFA Key Forward after the draft or keep a spot open for the mid-season draft in case someone like Hipwood gets injured and we need a warm body. With Casboult retiring, I think we should have someone like Sam Day in mind. The rest of Joes money should go into keeping the list together for as long as possible. Shelling out money and draft picks/points for players like Tom Lynch will mean that we end up regressing our list.

The AFL system is designed to regress teams back to the pack through the draft and cap system. We need to use the various exploits to build out our list when opportunities arise. At the moment the opportunity is in the Academy and Father-son rorts. Hopefully by paying forward some contracts with Joe's money we can then rort the Free Agency window in 1-3 years and keep maximising the list. Going against the wave and spending draft capital and cash now means we will be poorer in 3 years just in time to bottom out with a fresh Tasmania entering the competition.

Last edited:
At 800k?
Tell im’ he’s dreaming!
While everyone is of the opinion that is crazy money for Owies, and rightfully so. Having a look at the bigger picture, you can gain a bit of an understanding about his managers approach.

Carlton paid Martin 650k/year back in 2019 and are currently paying Zac Williams 900k/year, to basically play the same role. With availability and performance of late you’d have Owies out preforming both.

The Blues were lauded for their approach during these two trade periods, is this the negative result of buying players for short term wins?
With the blues being so top heavy, I’d imagine a few others would be feeling similar.

While everyone is of the opinion that is crazy money for Owies, and rightfully so. Having a look at the bigger picture, you can gain a bit of an understanding about his managers approach.

Carlton paid Martin 650k/year back in 2019 and are currently paying Zac Williams 900k/year, to basically play the same role. With availability and performance of late you’d have Owies out preforming both.

The Blues were lauded for their approach during these two trade periods, is this the negative result of buying players for short term wins?
With the blues being so top heavy, I’d imagine a few others would be feeling similar.
Uhh...that's exactly what we're doing now we're buying players for short term wins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back