List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if West Coast missing out on Baker by not getting Pick 14 from the Hawks, would mean they're more interested in Dev Rob now?
Still a long way to go in trade period. all these picks that have been swapped today will probably change hands multiple times before the end of next week.

Last edited:
With all the stuff going on with the Demons with Petrecca, Oliver and the administration, isn't it a little surprising that Sharp has nominated them?
Money and opportunity count for a lot... and I think there's plenty of opportunity at Melbourne. IF Melbourne can manoeuvre there way through this off-season (after the Oliver mess resolves), there's no reason they can't be competitive next season (well... their lack of forward line is still a problem!).

Can always trade for it again next yr...got to load up now whilst we can.
Absolutely makes sense to trade late picks from next year, into this year. The revised points value of those mid-late picks are significantly decreased.
The Carlton trade cost 326 points, but returned 622 points.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Happy to keep Prior. If we trade out all of Sharp, Prior, and Dev we have certainly impacted our depth and set up a bit of a list re-fresh. I think all of these players have been excellent team players and more than capable of playing 1sts for us or elsewhere...
We've got Coleman doedee coming back in with existing back 6 plus brain looks more capable, prefer to see Prior traded if deal is right.

Even more ridiculous that MFC signed Oliver to such a deal. No wonder their club is stuffed.

I was told ages ago when the Clarry thing was first going full dumpster fire that Melbourne had reasonable off-field cultural issues prior to the flag but that it went into unchecked override after the flag. Did he sign this deal shortly after the flag? I think the MFC were a bit blinded by the success and thought it’d just keep rolling as it had not realising they’d been walking a tightrope and as soon as you get the release of a flag it’s likely to catch up with you all at once.

It also hasn’t helped that they’ve had a forward problem for years which for some reason they never addressed.

So it looks like we’ve covered off on the picks, or at least well on the way to doing so next week anyway.

Now we just need to find an extra KPF to either plug and play or to provide some depth. Doesn’t look like we’ll be doing so through a trade so the delisted FAs are next.

Think I’ve settled on Day being perhaps the best of an underwhelming bunch. Already lives in SEQ, is a mature body who can crash packs and has shown he can compete in the ruck. Only recently turned 32 so should be ok for a season or two. Obviously struggled with injury his whole career and I see he only had the 5 games this year. Was that due to being injured again, or like Levi, just Dimma wanting to play the younger guys?

So we are premiers and feeder club at the same time.

Way to go lions. Love it.
Yep - but surely this is part of the point of academies in general. The Vic-mafia see it as an unfair advantage, but at its core we're developing players that would likely otherwise not play AFL so increasing the draft talent pool. The "next-gen academies"... they're bringing almost nothing.

Top Dog Bassat can rest easy, knowing he is a champion defender of the vaunted halls of moral high ground.

I might also reflect on a certain Riewoldt, who from memory was part of a catchment area back in the day, which was within the claws of a recent threepeat premier......and weren't the rules changed prior to that specific draft, ensuring that a club bearing an uncanny resemblance to St Kilda were the beneficiaries?
yes, but it was Collingwood president that drove the change to the zone rule. It was also the Collingwood president that drove the change to the 'go home' extra money Brisbane had in salary cap of which gold coast, GWS and Sydney still have. Now McGuire is gone its Bassat that wants changes to suit his own club.

Slightly off topic but figure this is the action thread today. Did anyone catch what Zac Bailey's injury was this year? I know he had the leg injury after Melbourne (where he looked really good) but the roar deal mentioned in one of their marathons 'we know zac played with an injury'? he had quite a down year. was really good vs cats though in the prelim, would have been best on if he kicked straight. could be someone to kick more goals next year

It's also worth considering later picks will ultimately be worth more points than they are now. You'd assume that with our current picks, a bid on Levi will consume about our first 5 picks. Same goes for any other academy / father-son picks that come before Marshall. the later picks we hold slide up and increase in value. If our later picks 60,66,73 (value 231 points) remain unchanged and slide up 5 places before a bid on Marshall, then go to 55,61,68 (value 401 points).

Cal Twomey's phantom draft has Leo Lombard (Gold-Coast academy) and Isaac Kako (Essendon next-gen. academy) before Marshall. If those 2 clubs equally load up on late picks, our late picks could be worth even more points by the time we get to Marshall.

Slightly off topic but figure this is the action thread today. Did anyone catch what Zac Bailey's injury was this year? I know he had the leg injury after Melbourne (where he looked really good) but the roar deal mentioned in one of their marathons 'we know zac played with an injury'? he had quite a down year. was really good vs cats though in the prelim, would have been best on if he kicked straight. could be someone to kick more goals next year
Syndesmosis

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely makes sense to trade late picks from next year, into this year. The revised points value of those mid-late picks are significantly decreased.
The Carlton trade cost 326 points, but returned 622 points.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
Earlier in the year I was ok with taking a deficit into next year. With all these points changes, that 100% needs to be avoided - a points deficit taken out of this year is effectively a double or triple penalty next year because of the changes. That said, bringing an F2 into this year then becomes a lot more valuable if it helps us avoid that - and at the end of the day clubs are usually willing to turn late picks into future picks through Day 2 if we've got stuff left over, especially given the relative regard of this year's draft over next year's.

Earlier in the year I was ok with taking a deficit into next year. With all these points changes, that 100% needs to be avoided - a points deficit taken out of this year is effectively a double or triple penalty next year because of the changes. That said, bringing an F2 into this year then becomes a lot more valuable if it helps us avoid that - and at the end of the day clubs are usually willing to turn late picks into future picks through Day 2 if we've got stuff left over, especially given the relative regard of this year's draft over next year's.
We're so lucky we get Levi (and Marshall) through before the rule changes.
If we assume Levi will attract bid 2, next year that will cost 2232 points. If we assume our starting place is picks 18,36,54 (excusing picks traded out), that is only 1167 points. That's a huge gap to make up, particularly considering there's only 54 picks with points value.

The footy gods are certainly smiling on us in 2024! :)

I really hoped Sharpie would make it with us... in fact makes me sad he won't. I think each year he developed and it's easy to forget how young he is given he's been on our list so long. He was in a long line of players but for a wing spot...

My biggest fear for him is what the move to the Dees will actually do for him as a person... from the outside it just seems to be a cesspit. He's always seemed like a great team mate... I hope they don't screw him up.

Far, far better off going there now, after a few years with us, than if he got drafted there - and that goes for the D's as a club too.

As to Prior - better for him, and us as a club, that he goes somewhere that he has a chance of regular first team footy than staying here.

All in all wrapt in our off field staff. An excellent day.

It's also worth considering later picks will ultimately be worth more points than they are now. You'd assume that with our current picks, a bid on Levi will consume about our first 5 picks. Same goes for any other academy / father-son picks that come before Marshall. the later picks we hold slide up and increase in value. If our later picks 60,66,73 (value 231 points) remain unchanged and slide up 5 places before a bid on Marshall, then go to 55,61,68 (value 401 points).

Cal Twomey's phantom draft has Leo Lombard (Gold-Coast academy) and Isaac Kako (Essendon next-gen. academy) before Marshall. If those 2 clubs equally load up on late picks, our late picks could be worth even more points by the time we get to Marshall.
Where is Twomey's phantom draft?

Hasn't put it up yet - just his pure rankings of the talent.
Yeah,rankings just give an indication of where each is generaly considered. Where clubs pick players is totally different matter. Kako may go before Lombard if the latest scuttlebutt is to be believed.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back