List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

This just popped up in my feed.
Thought I would share.
I miss him already!

Joe has a bit of Elaine about his dancing with his finger guns lol

Julia Louis Dreyfus Dancing GIF

You don't think it at the time, but they just said on Gettable, that 14 of the 21 players traded were contracted i.e. two thirds.

Pretty remarkable and something to think that a player contracted doesn't mean its off limits - you probably need to pay more, but I guess it also shows how vulnerable any club is including us even if you have most of your keepers contracted.

You don't think it at the time, but they just said on Gettable, that 14 of the 21 players traded were contracted i.e. two thirds.

Pretty remarkable and something to think that a player contracted doesn't mean its off limits - you probably need to pay more, but I guess it also shows how vulnerable any club is including us even if you have most of your keepers contracted.
What it says to me is the importance of recognising what is essentially two currencies involved in the AFL. There's the salary cap of course, but draft points is the other form of currency, and while each team has the same salary cap (notwithstanding Cotton On contracts, random blocks of land and cushy jobs for the misso), the draft points each team has each year is inversely proportional to their finishing position.

Joe's retirement has really hit home for us the importance of this second currency. While from all reports it leaves enough room in our salary cap to pay for a replacement Joe, we simply don't have the draft points, and that would probably have been the case even without needing to accommodate Will, Sam and whoever else from our academy.

This is the system working exactly as it's intended, where this "2nd currency" of draft points is designed to work hand in hand with the salary cap to avoid a Penrith Panthers-style dynasty which has occurred in the NRL, where they have a salary cap only.

With the draft points sliding scale tightening up considerably next year, it really leaves free agency as the only method available for strongly-performing clubs to keep bucking the trend and rorting the system.

What it says to me is the importance of recognising what is essentially two currencies involved in the AFL. There's the salary cap of course, but draft points is the other form of currency, and while each team has the same salary cap (notwithstanding Cotton On contracts, random blocks of land and cushy jobs for the misso), the draft points each team has each year is inversely proportional to their finishing position.

Joe's retirement has really hit home for us the importance of this second currency. While from all reports it leaves enough room in our salary cap to pay for a replacement Joe, we simply don't have the draft points, and that would probably have been the case even without needing to accommodate Will, Sam and whoever else from our academy.

This is the system working exactly as it's intended, where this "2nd currency" of draft points is designed to work hand in hand with the salary cap to avoid a Penrith Panthers-style dynasty which has occurred in the NRL, where they have a salary cap only.

With the draft points sliding scale tightening up considerably next year, it really leaves free agency as the only method available for strongly-performing clubs to keep bucking the trend and rorting the system.

The Penrith situation is also exacerbated but the level of talent in the NRL being at an all time low and most of the good players now come through that system.

The Penrith situation is also exacerbated but the level of talent in the NRL being at an all time low and most of the good players now come through that system.
It's a great credit to Phil Gould for having the foresight to realise several decades ago how their system could be rorted and also to Penrith as a club for having the patience to see through what has essentially been a 20+ year strategy which has really only borne fruit in the last 5 years after some very difficult times leading up to that.

Which gets back to my earlier point - Allen and Fogarty, do you want to win a premiership?

Or are you in this caper to get slightly better cashies at sportsmans nights in Perth and Adelaide?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no doubt we're going to be looking for an A Grade key forward if our ambition is to have a generational power team.

The problem is they're not that easy to find let alone get.

The best solution is to be Top 4 again next year, save our shekels and be prepared to cull if we have to.

As long as you're a very attractive destination the answer will turn up.

It's a great credit to Phil Gould for having the foresight to realise several decades ago how their system could be rorted and also to Penrith as a club for having the patience to see through what has essentially been a 20+ year strategy which has really only borne fruit in the last 5 years after some very difficult times leading up to that.
Didn't Phil Gould sack Ivan Cleary before having to eat humble pie and rehire him? All I'm saying is, the man makes mistakes.

I don’t get the link to Sam Darcy. Father / Son at the Dogs, Dad played 200+ games at the club, is a director and you’d think the family is through and through Dogs.

Is the link genuine or just unfounded hopium b/c I’ve seen it crop up in quite a few places?

I don’t get the link to Sam Darcy. Father / Son at the Dogs, Dad played 200+ games at the club, is a director and you’d think the family is through and through Dogs.

Is the link genuine or just unfounded hopium b/c I’ve seen it crop up in quite a few places?
No hope.

Unless Bevo goes full troppo on him and he can't take it any more.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back