List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Salary space is one thing, trading for both would be near on impossible if the Blues can match the offer.

Mackie being a fat headed campaigner, SDK would cost 2 firsts in any trade. TDK just as much if not slightly more.

Can't see any team being able to trade for both
Ummm, Gold Coast have 5 first round picks to trade next year.

I think Lohmann has more of the charteristics of Stevie j I'd say Morris is more that Bradshaw type forward great marking very accurate kick at goal

Love 🐐 McMorris but I sadly would not call him an accurate kick at goal so far.

Not terrible, but he’s miles better at shooting in general play than set shot goalkicking thus far.

Cam Rayner signs six-year contract extension, spurning thoughts of a return to Victoria​

Cam Rayner could have been one of the biggest free agents on the market in 2025, with Victorian clubs’ big-money offers circling. He tells JAY CLARK why he’s spurned Victoria and re-signed with the Lions on a monster deal.

Brisbane Lions’ star goal kicker Cameron Rayner says he wants to become a “Lion for life” after inking a mega six-year contract extension.
The Herald Sun can reveal the brilliant forward has dismissed any prospect of a return home to Victoria as a free agent at the end of next year, signing on up north until the end of 2031.
It is a massive coup for Chris Fagan’s men as Rayner, the No. 1 draft pick from Hillside in Melbourne’s northwest, was set to become one of the most sought-after players in the competition next year.
But the talented playmaker said he couldn’t be happier in Brisbane and was determined to help keep the club in the premiership mix after its extraordinary run to the flag this year.
“I am stoked to be a part of this great football club for the future and hoping that it means I will be a Lion for life,” Rayner said.
“The club and list are in such a strong position, and I feel like if I can continue to add to that I am happy.

“We are back at the top of the mountain where we belong, and I hope that we can stay there for as long as we can.
“I love this club from top to bottom, whether it’s the staff or players, everyone is so lovely and have made my journey so far as smooth and easy as it can be.”
The Lions were made to sweat over the future of Hugh McCluggage this year but will avoid any distraction over Rayner’s deal after inking the early signature.
It means cashed-up Victorian clubs such as Western Bulldogs, Essendon, St Kilda and North Melbourne will have to look elsewhere for top free agency targets next year.
Rayner, 25, emerged as one of the league’s most dangerous playmaking forwards as part of career-best season in 2024, booting 31 goals across 27 games.

It included an explosive two-goal second half to sink Geelong in the thrilling preliminary final win after booting three goals to help thrash Carlton in the elimination final triumph.
The Lions have lauded Rayner’s resilience in the face of question marks over his fitness levels earlier in his career and durability after a devastating 2021 knee reconstruction.
He is also one of the club’s most popular team members and an emerging leader who blossomed on a half forward flank after ditching hopes of becoming a full-time midfielder.
Fagan said the club “were partly trying to turn him into something he wasn’t” but “with a little bit of trial and error” had “found that right spot for him”.

Football manager Danny Daly said the Lions’ were thrilled to lock away the dangerous forward after losing spearhead Joe Daniher to retirement following the premiership win.
“Cam is an exceptionally talented player who has shown in his time with us how important he is on and off the field, which has been a key factor in our success,” Daly said.
“As a 25-year-old we see Cam as being a key part of the future of our football club and we know our fans will be delighted that he has recommitted to the club.”
The Lions are in talks with former Gold Coast forward Sam Day about helping replace Daniher for next season, while marking targets Lincoln McCarthy and Darcy Gardiner are also on the comeback from ACL injuries.

The Lions have ensured their most important players are off limits to rivals after locking away McCluggage and Rayner (2031), gun key defender Harris Andrews (2029), and Oscar McInerney and Lachie Neale (2026).
The string of signatures will ensure the Lions remain well-placed to contend again next year as the club prepares to welcome father-son prodigy Levi Ashcroft in next month’s draft, adding to its midfield riches.
Ashcroft’s brother, Will, won the Norm Smith medal in only his second season on the back of a knee reconstruction last year.

happy homer simpson GIF

Of course I’m glad he’s re-signed but I really dislike these excessively long term deals. A 4 year extension is enough for any player unless they are a generational key forward IMO (ie not Max King).

I guess it’s the way the competition is going.

Forward planning: Lions meet to craft plan for flag defence without Joe Daniher​

The Brisbane Lions will meet on Monday for the first serious time since the grand final and Joe Daniher’s surprising, but not shocking, decision to retire to decide what life will look like next year without their star full-forward.

After Joe “said it was so” days after the premiership and confirmed the pre-grand final rumours that he would retire, despite having another year at roughly $900,000 on his contract, the Lions have spent the past month celebrating the flag and digesting the Daniher news before meeting to craft a way forward.

Finding a like-for-like replacement is not really possible for a player of Daniher’s rare ability, even so the Lions did not target a ready-to-play key forward in the recently completed trade period.
Sam Day presents as the most likely prospect to be considered as a delisted free agent whom they could bring in to the club for nothing (in a trade sense), should the Lions decide to recruit a player who is ready to play a role.

The Lions have long been admirers of the Gold Coast big man, who was only recently cut by the Suns after he became surplus to requirements in a forward line that boasts Ben King, Jed Walter and Ben Long with young elite talents Mac Andrew and Ethan Read as options for key positions at either end of the ground.

A 32-year-old forward and second ruck, Day played 155 games in 14 seasons for the Suns and booted 117 goals. He only played five games this season but did rank first in the AFL for contested marks per game and marks inside his team’s 50-metre arc this year.

If the Lions go outside their list for a ready-made role player Day is the most likely choice. However, the success of ruckman Darcy Fort coming into their team for their grand final win will have them contemplating whether they could utilise Fort and Oscar McInerney in a tandem ruck-forward role.

The Lions’ general manager of football Danny Daly said there were existing options in the club’s playing group to complement talls Eric Hipwood and Logan Morris.

The intent, Daly said, was to keep the same structure and find someone to play the Daniher role, rather than change the system to match personnel.

“We will meet on Monday to discuss it properly for the first time and consider all of the options,” Daly said.

“We obviously didn’t do anything in the trade period about bringing someone in (experienced and ready to play), but we might look at a delisted free agent.

“That is an option, but we are also pretty comfortable with some of the options we already have internally that can play that role. Darcy Fort obviously came in for the grand final, and we think he has scope to play forward. Oscar plays well as a forward. We (also) have young Henry Smith who we think can play that role.

“And we have Cam Rayner, who we think can play as permanent marking forward.”

The 22-year-old Smith, who stands 206 centimetres, made his debut this season, playing four games.

“We think we have some flexibility there and a few options internally so we will discuss that and which way we think we might go,” Daly said.

Daniher was outstanding in both of the Lions’ past two grand finals and at points of both games was a contender to win the Norm Smith Medal.

He was drafted to Essendon in 2012 as a father-son selection before making his AFL debut the following season when the Bombers were embroiled in a drugs scandal. Daniher was not one of the 34 players suspended for their part in the scandal, as he arrived after the 2012 season, but he had to endure the difficulties of that period at the club. He crossed to Brisbane for the 2021 season after seeking a trade away from the Bombers the year prior.

While they have lost Daniher, the Lions will be strengthened next year by former Adelaide defender Tom Doedee and rebounding defender Keidean Coleman, both coming back from long-term injuries. They will also secure another boom father son in Levi Ashcroft, who will join his Norm Smith Medal-winning older brother Will at the Lions after next month’s national draft.

Of course I’m glad he’s re-signed but I really dislike these excessively long term deals. A 4 year extension is enough for any player unless they are a generational key forward IMO (ie not Max King).

I guess it’s the way the competition is going.
Once they hit mid 20s like 23 24 25, all good / decent players are after the deal that takes them into 30s. Nature of the beast unfortunately

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back