List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

He's 18/19. How lofty were the expectations coming into year one?

Professional environment, improving fitness base and application = opportunity.

Coming into a club 18/19 away from family is difficult. Some excel some take time.

Remember Cripps was a fat plodder and the following year became the superstar. Just applications really, its on him how we wants to approach this off-season.

What changed for Moir this year? He was battling away in the VFL, when did the penny drop?

I'm not sure it was the "Penny dropping"

He arrived at club with hip issues and club has slowly built him up. Look way behind early on but as he improved fitness he got better

The massive improvement IMO is from consistent effort over the season, Credit to him. Now for a big pre season

I'm not sure it was the "Penny dropping"

He arrived at club with hip issues and club has slowly built him up. Look way behind early on but as he improved fitness he got better

The massive improvement IMO is from consistent effort over the season, Credit to him. Now for a big pre season
I remember telling people at the start of the year he would be a slow burn as they built strength into his hips.

Conditioning issues are entirely to be expected this year

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

What changed for Moir this year? He was battling away in the VFL, when did the penny drop?

Poor diagnosis of a hip issue prior to being drafted, so wasn't able to train properly

Has really trimmed down, but will need a couple more preseasons

Club rate him highly, and was surprised people were questioning his mental toughness and or had him in the delist column

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Words from a very wise supporter from earlier this month after a VFL match :cool:

"You can already see Moir's immense levels of talent at VFL level without setting the world on fire yet.

Totally agree that another full pre season will give him the platform to launch into the 2025 season.

I also reckon that once he's finally thrust into cauldron of AFL, he's the type who's game could easily go to the next level with the faster pace - almost like 'kick starting' him into the next gear from the slower pace of VFL."

CARLTON

ā€¦ the Blues would likely need to surrender a quality player in any Petracca trade, along with draft capitalā€¦ Or is it, say, Jack Silvagni or Brodie Kemp? ā€¦

There are some players that donā€™t set the world on fire in the VFL. They donā€™t find a lot of the ball. They rely heavily on having quality around them to bring the best out of them and to let their talent shine. Moir strikes me as one of those guys. The kind of player that wouldnā€™t look good in a week team but in a contending team will flourish. You can tell heā€™s going to be a special player, heā€™s one of the more talented players to come through our doors I reckon. Big call but I think we have a ripper here.

We need to be absolutely 100% that Petracca has no lasting effects from his injuries. I'm happy to pay a pretty price to get him, however we want him playing well and being unrestricted otherwise the best option is to move on.

In terms of needs, Petracca is pretty high up there. I have been saying for years our midfield needs a mini-rebuild. More of a restructure really. Had a lot of gripes with playing Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett. Too slow, immobile and lacks the closing speed to apply good pressure as well as generate run and carry. Petracca makes a big impact to how we want to play and our pace as well as rotations and all round quality.

Petracca, Haynes/Aleer and Houston are all gettable to me. I think Carroll, Owies and one or both of Cerra and Kennedy may be traded to get there. You would expect second and third rounders to come back for them. Cerra could still gain a 1st round pick, but we will be very reluctant to trade him IMO.

If Petracca comes in, it really opens the door up to trade excess mids. Cripps Petracca Walsh are our starting 3. Cerra Hewett Kennedy Carroll and Lord come next. I think Lord will be a part of the team next season. Cerra if fit is 4th in line. There are guys there who wont want to be playing VFL.

Best 22 with trades...
Newman Aleer/Haynes McGovern
Saad Weitering Houston
Acres Cripps Hollands
Moir Kemp Williams
Motlop Curnow McKay
DeKoning Petracca Walsh
Cowan Docherty Lord/Cerra E Hollands
Hewett

To me you could win a flag with that team. We will still need depth. I think we will come away with that. Wouldn't mind landing a small or medium forward but I have really high hopes for Moir and a much fitter Motlop. Williams as well. I do feel though if we could land a really good forward as well, then that really would round out a massive trade period.

Moir is so smooth, you can see the recruiting requirement. He's the type where year 3 will be exponential.

Will ask the Blueseum crew but our first Burmeseplayer..... second Asian player I suspect
He is already doing what many of the players tried at half forward in our side struggle to do. Win the ball at half forward. Moir will be best 22 next season if he doesn't have any mishaps.

Because he's very good but also because we have very little in terms of genuine half forwards.

You can just tell he has it. Pace, evasiveness, good hands, good all round skills, positions really well. Just has instincts many of our lot don't. Strong on the ground and in the air which many of our half forward flankers aren't.

Think this one is a big tick for us. Really hope he plays finals for us.

Something definitely changed for Moir about 6 weeks out from his debut. I watched a lot of draft content and VFL this year and last, he was so far from the hyped up prospect he entered his 18s season as it was almost laughable.

As a very vocal critic of him early on I'll say, he seemed to just totally transform mid season in the VFL, one week he was a bit of a boots in cement type plodder, the next he looked explosive and agile. Was hungry at the contest too.

That seems to have continued through to his debut at AFL level but he's still a way off with his tank from being a consistent AFL player. Massive talent if he can build on this in the pre season though.

We need to be absolutely 100% that Petracca has no lasting effects from his injuries. I'm happy to pay a pretty price to get him, however we want him playing well and being unrestricted otherwise the best option is to move on.

In terms of needs, Petracca is pretty high up there. I have been saying for years our midfield needs a mini-rebuild. More of a restructure really. Had a lot of gripes with playing Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett. Too slow, immobile and lacks the closing speed to apply good pressure as well as generate run and carry. Petracca makes a big impact to how we want to play and our pace as well as rotations and all round quality.

Petracca, Haynes/Aleer and Houston are all gettable to me. I think Carroll, Owies and one or both of Cerra and Kennedy may be traded to get there. You would expect second and third rounders to come back for them. Cerra could still gain a 1st round pick, but we will be very reluctant to trade him IMO.

If Petracca comes in, it really opens the door up to trade excess mids. Cripps Petracca Walsh are our starting 3. Cerra Hewett Kennedy Carroll and Lord come next. I think Lord will be a part of the team next season. Cerra if fit is 4th in line. There are guys there who wont want to be playing VFL.

Best 22 with trades...
Newman Aleer/Haynes McGovern
Saad Weitering Houston
Acres Cripps Hollands
Moir Kemp Williams
Motlop Curnow McKay
DeKoning Petracca Walsh
Cowan Docherty Lord/Cerra E Hollands
Hewett

To me you could win a flag with that team. We will still need depth. I think we will come away with that. Wouldn't mind landing a small or medium forward but I have really high hopes for Moir and a much fitter Motlop. Williams as well. I do feel though if we could land a really good forward as well, then that really would round out a massive trade period.
Houston said this morning quite categorically that he will not leaving Port this season. Aleer will take some creativity to get across as well as Petracca but he'd be a massive get.

Still think Rosas should be a high priority as the lightning speed we need up forward, worst case he remains a bit lazy defensively and he's delisted a couple years later after being on minimal cash.

Something definitely changed for Moir about 6 weeks out from his debut. I watched a lot of draft content and VFL this year and last, he was so far from the hyped up prospect he entered his 18s season as it was almost laughable.

As a very vocal critic of him early on I'll say, he seemed to just totally transform mid season in the VFL, one week he was a bit of a boots in cement type plodder, the next he looked explosive and agile. Was hungry at the contest too.

That seems to have continued through to his debut at AFL level but he's still a way off with his tank from being a consistent AFL player. Massive talent if he can build on this in the pre season though.

Moir's predraft year was exceptional, but with the hip injury in his draft year, he just struggled to move, but the signs were still on show

I was one of the vocal few that stood up for Moir in the VFL threads. As I said at the time, he was coming from a long way back with his injury history and is a very competitive young man (despite what some YouTube recruiters had said) - his body had just let him down. You don't see talent like his every day. Even when not getting much of it, you could see how good he was with ball in hand.
I don't think I have seen anyone so genuinely excited to be making his debut as Ashton. Was great he could do it in Perth where part of his extended family still live so as they could see it live too. It's going to be exciting to watch him develop. Like many players, the progress may not be linear.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back