List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

For me, I look at our 'premiership window' over a number of years in relation to players age (with whom, at this stage, look like a good chance to be around for future years), and potentially when their playing careers are coming to a close (give or take a year - as some will still play a little longer).
Next 2 years, players born 1993 and 1994: Newman, Docherty, Williams, Saad, McGovern
Following 2 years (1995 and 1996): Cripps, Acres, Hewett, Pittonet, Cincotta
Then the following 2 years (1997 and 1998): Curnow, Kennedy, Weitering, Silvagni, McKay
With S.Durdin, Marchbank gone, and Gov drawing to end of career, I'd be hoping we'd draft a KPD for the future, and get a cheap trade for back up. After that, I am not so sure. But a thing that does stand out for me is that at the start of next year, Curnow is 28...

Need to focus and stick to the plan….

Our 3 highest priorities are…

1 - KPD
2 - Power mud with good kicking skills
3 - speedy elite small forward

Based on kemp playing forward.
Club may see things differently.

Young is contracted 2 more years iirc and it appears we are bringing in Haynes on the cheap. They may think we have this area a little further down the pecking order now. Talk had also been that we were interested in Charlie McCartin. I’m pretty sure he is a key back and wouldn’t be an early pick in the draft if he actually did get picked up.

They may have also looked at Houston and can see he can also go through the midfield and everywhere else on the park. He is an all rounder with very good skills and footy iq. Definitely would greatly improve us anywhere he plays.

Should be an interesting couple of months no doubt

Can any of those be sorted with a first round pick this year?
1. Small forward definitely can, just pick Joe Berry

2. Port is looking for two firsts for Houston.

3. Not immediately, but would rather go to the draft and fill those needs cheaply i.e Acres and E. Hewett-esque trade, than use a high pick or two on a very good player that doesn't fill any urgent needs. We have enough top end talent, need to improve the footsoldiers now to have the best chance at a flag IMO.

So we'd have Houston, Doc, Cowan, Boyd, Saad, Newman, Williams*, Wilson*, Cincotta*

That's a lot of blokes all vying for the same 2-3 spots on the field.

Blokes with an asterix were included as it's their OG position - 2024 has been and outlier and it's uncertain as to whether they'll continue beyond this year in their new positions/ roles

So we'd have Houston, Doc, Cowan, Boyd, Saad, Newman, Williams*, Wilson*, Cincotta*

Blokes with an asterix were included as it's their OG position - 2024 has been and outlier and it's uncertain as to whether they'll continue beyond this year in their new positions/ roles

I’d play Houston through the midfiled.Would be our best kick instantly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’d play Houston through the midfiled.Would be our best kick instantly.

Genuine question... Has he ever played consistently through the midfield? I know he plays a lot off HB and can occasionally go in to the midfield, but has ever played full matches in the guts?

Genuine question... Has he ever played consistently through the midfield? I know he plays a lot off HB and can occasionally go in to the midfield, but has ever played full matches in the guts?
He has to lesser effect than he has at half back. Could win the ball and bomb it long but nothing compared to his piercing use off half back

The only questions I'd have with the Houston pick up is cost and what it means for Cowan and Wilson?

If the club is confident Cow can move into the midfield next year then maybe it becomes a viable option, but I still think anything more than a future first becomes out of our budget given the other list needs we have.

It's really 4-5 positions with pockets, flanks and a spot on the bench...before factoring in injuries. And having guys earn a spot in the ressies is no bad thing.

Houston would cost too much for another half back. I'd be keen to stick with Carroll, Wilson and Cowan coming through. Older players like Saad, Docherty and Cincotta can also play the role well. Try and get another later in the draft.

We have bigger needs. Key defender, smaller forward and faster pressure mids.

Good player but we need to spend our trade/draft currency wisely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he hasn’t.

Has a tank and with a pre season could easily be part of the rotations and could ease the load on Walsh.

IMO would make us better instantly and isn’t injury prone.

BTW players can change roles and improve.

Liam Jones/Rory Lobb/Ed Richards to name a few.

Further, for how our list is situated, I don't think chasing established guns is the right strategy.

Find the cheap value that adds to our list by the role they can play, and find some guns in the draft.

Ideally all with pace.

If only the Pies were looking to offload Treloar this year, he would thrive in our midfield

Role players, role players, role players.....we need to boost our level below to let the stars shine. We don't want to bing in an overpriced older player, thinking they're all of a sudden going to change our destiny.

We have the spectre of Tassie looming - bring in the younger ones who aren't getting opportunities at their current clubs for whatever reason. AND, look at the state leagues for some hidden gold, cos it's out there....not the A graders, but the players who have matured later an overlooked in the draft - or squeezed out because of reduced list sizes. Or the kid from the country that's tearing it up in the VFL or SANFL or WAFL.

And you get them for peanuts.

Cost depending, Houston would be great for us.

If you go off what seems to be genuine rumours, it’s Haynes, now Houston, if we added those two and still took a 1st rounder to the draft, that would cover a lot of bases short, medium and long.

Add that to the Campo twins.

That improves us a lot

Lets just say hypothetically we get these rumoured trade targets...

Mcgovern Weitering Saad
Houston Haynes Newman
Acres Cripps O.Hollands
Fogarty Mckay E.Hollands
Motlop Curnow Williams
Dekoning Walsh Cerra

Hewett Kennedy Docherty Cowan

To me that would be close to what our best line up would look like. It sticks out that the Cripps, Cerra, Hewett, Kennedy conundrum still remains. All 4 of them are way too good to be playing VFL footy so I think its still in our best interest to move one of them on to allow us to add maybe bring in another highly talented draftee or a cheap trade target.

Can't say the Haynes Houston additions really excite me when looking at it on paper though tbh.

Houston and Petracca would be awesome to watch but I still think we should stick to the plan and head to the draft/pick up some budget options.

The speculation however, is making me think a name could be departing Ikon park in the off season. Cerra? Harry? There's just no other way we'd be getting linked to names of that ilk with our cap space as restricted as it is.

We've been connected to both so the speculation about how and whether we should is bound to be fun.

I do see Harry as the one, as upset as people get when his name comes up. I also see Cerra as one to put on the table. Harry is on the dollars though, so room needs to be made.

All of these players are contracted so we'd avoid the contracted player premium if we were to trade player for player. Petracca is a better player than McKay, but McKay is a key forward. What would we have to add to Harry to make this trade? Dees could really use another key forward, back up ruck .... big time.

You know who else could use a key forward? Essendon. No, we don't want to strengthen them, but they have a better first rounder than us, his brother is there, and they were Bomber supporters growing up. Harry could be swayed here.

Pick 8 this year and a future 1st, and we suddenly have currency. 8, 11 and another mid first round pick next year. It's unlikely Port want a future 1st, but would the Dees take 8 and a future 1st for Petracca or would it take both future 1sts? What about 8 and Cerra? Port would take 11 for Houston.

It's essentially giving up a 27 year old McKay, a 24 year old Cerra and Pick 11* for Houston and Petracca, and possibly holding 2 first rounders next season.

Right now, I see Cerra as being worth a late first rounder, if we are being realistic based on injury and form this season. McKay is worth 2 first rounders, at least one of them inside the top 10. I suspect Melbourne would want Pick 8, and 2 future firsts, a la Jeremy Cameron, but I'd at least try to get something back from that.

More badly needed pace in the back half, more badly needed pace on the ball and forward. We'd be putting all of our eggs into a 3 year tilt essentially. Big risk, big reward.

We play a mobile forward line with Charlie, Kemp, Moir in there, Kennedy/Petracca rotating between clearances and forward and 2 small forwards.

Our on ball rotation is Cripps, Walsh, Hewett, Kennedy/Petracca and Lord as a back up.

I really do like the mix. I don't think teams would be carving us up as much with this look.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back