List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston and Petracca would be awesome to watch but I still think we should stick to the plan and head to the draft/pick up some budget options.

The speculation however, is making me think a name could be departing Ikon park in the off season. Cerra? Harry? There's just no other way we'd be getting linked to names of that ilk with our cap space as restricted as it is.
Cap is going up, some money coming off the books this year, the end of the Williams contract is at least in sight (two years to go), most of our big names contracted. Mitch is no longer on big money, Saad and Cerra are comparable bargains at a reported $650k.

I don't see someone like a Petracca or Bailey Smith as realistic...but another guy circa $800K wouldn't surprise me.

You’ll get 5-6 years out of Houston, 28 next May. Ball use is pretty great, averages 23 disp and 3 i50s this season from half back. He and Farrell their top metres gained players, so he has work rate we’d find valuable alongside the ball use. I think he would suit us and replace Newman who is 32 in Jan. Saad and Docherty are 31 next year too, and I’m worried about Docs longevity to go another 3 years even though I could see him doing it if fit enough.

He would be a luxury at this point. He is a very good player, I think his acquisition would definitely serve a purpose. But yeah, that asking price is not worth it. I would much much prefer we prioritise and put our resources into small forwards/half forwards and KPD. Much more important.

It's an intriguing call. Could we get him for something like a future first and Owies or Durdin and maybe a third (as an example?)

Then we still have this years first plus Campo kids. Then it's important for Austin to do a couple of Acres type deals.

As a player I would love him. Can play.

My question is can we bring him in and still fix some other issues in our list? How quick and well do we think Moir Lord Binns Ollie Cowan O'Keefe Wilson etc can come on

I'd have pace through half forward and the midfield as our biggest needs along with a KPD.
HBF would be down the list. Especially for what he would cost, both salary and trade.
Again, pace through half forward can be found outside of the first round of the draft, free agency and trading first round draft picks. If Houston makes us better, with aging half backs, I don’t see why we couldn’t make it work

Last edited:
Hmmmmm. Round One 2025

B: Cowan Weitering McGovern
HB: Houston Haynes Hollands
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Elijah McKay Williams
F: Kemp Charlie Motlop
Foll: TDK Cerra Walsh
Int from: Saad Newman Kennedy Hewett Moir Wilson Binns Lord Silvagni Boyd Cincotta

I'd like a KPD and elite run and ball use please. :cool:

Houston and Petracca would be awesome to watch but I still think we should stick to the plan and head to the draft/pick up some budget options.

The speculation however, is making me think a name could be departing Ikon park in the off season. Cerra? Harry? There's just no other way we'd be getting linked to names of that ilk with our cap space as restricted as it is.
I agree!

I keep thinking we are at a level now and the club would know we might need a couple of extra players good to go, but how do we get them? I think there’s every possibility a big name player is traded this year to bring in another.

It would suck but if you look at a club like gws they have had many top players leave and they always seem to be up there contending.

Houston would be nice, but as long as it doesn’t affect the bigger more important picture of what we need to get done this trade period.
I suppose u can call Houston somewhat of a need. But not as pressing as others atm imo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the backline can lead/manage Lewis Young like that every week, there's no reason he can't be our second KPD.

Yes he has weaknesses, but they can be worked around. Most teams have a couple of players that you have to do that for.

The question is, why are our leaders in defence not willing to do it? Are they too focused on their own games rather than getting the job done as a collective?
The question is - is Lewis ready to pull his bloody socks up and give it everything he's got in every game for the rest of his career?

Personally I don't think he has the heart to make it as a consistent AFL player. I think he's a part-time footy player - which is fine for the VFL team, just not for our first team.

Houston is an elite player but not an area of need and will cost way too much. Pass for me, would rather spend our resources addressing our weaknesses as opposed to adding more cream.
Disagree.

AA who provides outside run, leadership and good kicking. We need that.

Agree that it may not be feasible trade wise.

Disagree.

We need to add pace, but that doesn't necessarily need to be footspeeed. A guy who can pick through zones with run carry and pinpoint disposal does wonders for our mids, and suits Vossy's much loved hard press.

Agree two firsts is dreamin', but a first and a small sweetener doesn't cripple us when we have a few FS prospects incoming.

Disagree.

Agree it certainly would be nice, but do we need that more than a second KPD, fast mid or elite small forward? Probably not.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back