List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Houston to me is a big yes. Not for 2x firsts, he's a HBF who averages 23 touches the last 3 yrs and 20 for his career. He's an elite, elite kick so that's his value, but flankers who average low 20s don't get 2x firsts. Especially flankers in their late 20s.

I'd do 1x first & future 2nd for Houston and a future 3rd. Given we have some NGA stuff going on next yr the swap of 2nd for 3rd round picks may not be a big deal for us, but could be for them (I must admit I'm not fully across the new bidding system so am not sure if 3rd picks have the same value they once did, but assuming they do still have some value that's the deal I'd be ok with). To be honest I feel like 1x first (around pick 10) is enough straight up, but he is contracted so maybe Port play hard ball.

Do we need another HBF? Probably not. But what we do need, desperately, is elite ball users, and they don't get much more elite than Houston, so it's one I'd pull the trigger on. Also, he's dependable physically and doesn't get injured. Another big need for us.

List numbers wise, no we dont. But he'd instantly be our best one. Simply makes sense to get him. Not for 2 x 1sts though

Hope we donā€™t get Houston as will end up paying overs for an unaccountable defender. It doesnā€™t suit how we play (saad was the same before he came in)

Sos is NOT a defender (weā€™ve seen it, even if our heart longs for him to be just like his dad)
Looking forward to seeing how we structure up next year. Kemp great attack on the ball but SOS was a decent second ruck. Heā€™s great around the contest. Recall him rucking a whole game vs saints and doing well. Harry gets involved as second ruck but itā€™s not great. Could we field Charlie Harry Kemp sos all in one side tho..hmm

Current HBFs. Or similar....

Newman and Saad - both 30 plus. Saady seems to be copping a lot more injuries of late...

It makes sense imo.

Doc - never to be seen at HBF again - young'uns like Billy Wilson - who knows...

Cow - big tick, but really a 4th tall? And may well evolve into the midfield?

View attachment 2086160

Said it in another post/ thread, I dont mind at all if we move on from both as soon as next season. In fact, I'd prefer it

This is why I would like to see us trial Silvagni, Lemmey or even O'Keefe as a KPD. If it comes off it really changes our list dynamic. All of a sudden we have a KPD and are not overloaded with fwd/rucks

Things like Kemp forward, Williams forward and Hollands to HB can really improve your list dramatically

The other key point is how well will Wilson, Lord, Binns, Moir, O'Keefe, Motlop, Cincotta, Cowan etc come on next year?

This on top of getting Cerra, Walsh, Docherty, Silvagni injury free

It's very easy to look outside BUT IMO our greatest improvement in 2025 will come from within if we are smart and open to options

I dont disagree, but i doubt it comes from improvements in Doc, Silvagni and the like.:think:

Second and third efforts sure, but that isn't applicable to defensive third only. So not sure why this is relevant to JSOS being in defence. Defensive pressure inside forward 50 is huge in the modern game.

He isn't the perfect size, he is 1.91m which would mean he would be the third tall at best and often find himself undersized. He would have to play intercept so would he take McGovern's spot? McGovern is probably a better user of the football and is quicker so not sure how this makes us better.

We have a best 22 medium forward spot availible due to Martin never being fit. If we can fit Mckay, Curnow and two rucks we can fit McKay, Curnow and JSOS.

Gov has very different attributes to JSOS, the main one being pace. McGovern is really quick off the mark.

If JSOS was closer to 200cm I would agree, fact is he isn't and we really don't have a burning need for medium defenders. We do have a need for a third tall forward who is consistent.

I don't think JSOS is a KPD defensive option, he isn't strong a big body that can wrestle and isn't tall.

I think we need to persist with L Young rather than throwing an undersized defender to the wolves as we have with Kemp this year.
he's 194cm.

Form a List point of view, what is better? (Hypotheticals)

Houston for 1st and 2nd round pick and $800k over 5 years

or

Pick 10 in draft
Trade 2nd round pick for say Garcia and get picks back
Extra money in SC for FA next year
Not having to trade/move as many picks for Campo twins

*Haynes will be done regardless

Houston Haynes in this scenario.

Iā€™m the opposite. I think heā€™s underrated.

Heā€™s a smart footballer been made to play a makeshift role that doesnā€™t really suit him yet heā€™s done well

IMO Jack is a natural defender and if given a go his smarts, workrate and unselfishness will make a great combination with Weitering

He may or may not be a natural defender, I just dont think its in our best 22 whilst we're striving for a premiership. :think:

I struggle to find a best 22 spot for him period. I like him as a player, but we need to move past him if we want to become a genuine premiership threat. IMO

As Ive said previously, I dare say if his name wasnt Silvagni, people wouldnt still be trying to squeeze him into their best teams.
I think there's some viability to him as a defensive forward on the likes of Lever because he'll work into space continually & prevent them sagging off but I just don't see it the same way that some others do, particularly as a defender.
I suppose we'll see in due course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I struggle to find a best 22 spot for him period. I like him as a player, but we need to move past him if we want to become a genuine premiership threat. IMO

As Ive said previously, I dare say if his name wasnt Silvagni, people wouldnt still be trying to squeeze him into their best teams.
My observation over the years is that his name gets pointed out much more often by his detractors than by his supporters.

We are incredibly predictable going forward, that should help the smalls no end as they should know exactly where to be.

Collectively, I think the smalls have been incredibly disappointing in not being where they should be. But thatā€™s my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Itā€™s been an ongoing problem for years, i agreeā€¦
So where does the blame land, certainly the players are to be blamed in an array of ways but aspects across our coaching and its game methods is certainly just as responsible as wellā€¦

I think itā€™s his back.

You can never go at 100% when you have to ā€˜manageā€™ a back injury.

He needs 3 months off to hopefully get it right, Iā€™m concerned for him to be honestā€¦
His back doesn't explain his disposal to teammates under pressure or calling for it when he's under the pump. I just think he's had an average year. Carrying an injury definitely, but form has also been down.

I think he needs to go back onto the wing, if not just to give his body a rest from being crunched in packs, but to give him a bit of freedom with the ball.

His back doesn't explain his disposal to teammates under pressure or calling for it when he's under the pump. I just think he's had an average year. Carrying an injury definitely, but form has also been down.

I think he needs to go back onto the wing, if not just to give his body a rest from being crunched in packs, but to give him a bit of freedom with the ball.
Walshy and Saad on wings?

With the back issue you lose your power (core) which costs you with your disposal. Even half a step turns good players into bog ordinary onesā€¦

Heā€™s never been elite by foot and now he is below average. I agree the wing is were he should be but we need Cerra back for that to work well. Cerra in the middle is the elite kicker we needā€¦

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back