List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

From a "List" point of view I still think people aren't considering Silvagni, Lemmey or O'Keefe going back and that we still have Young on our List

And we could easily bring in Aleer, Haynes and maybe a young KPD

On a LIST, that is a lot
We potentially part with Marchbank, S.Durdin and Akuei at the end of the season.

While I think Lemmey may be better back than forward, he cannot yet be considered a KPD. He probably doesnā€™t have the athleticism to complement Weiters long term if we are being honest. Assuming Mirkov is let go at seasonā€™s end, Oā€™Keeffe will not be available to school in defence, we will be busy getting him AFL ready.

I am a little intrigued to see how the Duffy addition plays out. Wording still suggests he will need to be Cat A rather than Cat B (has been debated to death, last mention is that wording remains restricting Cat B to one Irishman.) Does the alteration to the Cat A eligibility allowing players who have played less than four AFL games to have a fourth year as a rookie, extend to Cat B. If so do we stretch Dom A. for another year? He has improved in the back half of the year, has he improved enough? If we acquire Leek Aleer is there any advantage culturally? I am not sure of their exact origins, I could be off base entirely.

McGovern surely is under scrutiny when his next contract is due. Does Kempy stay up the ground, or return to defence in a more suitable third tall role? (Think we use next season to find out).

We need to work to having four genuine KPD on our list pre ā€œTassie draftā€. Arguably at the moment we have three only unless we call Marchy a KPD. I donā€™t think many of us have Lewis Young extended post current contract. This suggests only Weitering of our current KPD will be there and will be 30 at that draft. If Kempy stays back he is going to be our only third tall backman as well (pending Duffy development)

Would be a godsend if we can get Aleer. Haynes has been a great player, it remains to be seen how much he has left, but is a third tall rather than a key position type. I can see advantage getting him for a year or two, particularly if we redeploy Kemp. Gov is not a week in week out lock. Hoping Haynes has some real coaching potential.

We need to draft a kid to develop as well, it is an absolute must, in fact we need a couple over the next 2 - 3 years, the sooner the better to allow development. Hopefully we can find a hidden gem late or even rookie draft.

Small forwards and quality flankers in general have always shown the ability to impact from very early on compared to say a KPD or a full time inside mid (Outside of the Walsh, Ashcroft, Daicos types). I don't think Berry would be a lock to kick 30+ in his first season as he got used to the pace of the game but I'd back him in to be having just as much impact as Owies by the end of his first season or at least in his 2nd season.

Owies is a very very limited footballer in essentially the best forward line structure he would ask for. Yes our delivery inside 50 is poor at times but he gets to basically run around without a direct opponent half the time due to the amount of attention Mckay and Curnow get. The fact that none of our other small forwards are capable of regularly hitting the scoreboard is more of an indictment on them than it is a compliment for Owies.

I'd have no issues selling him at a high and bringing in some higher end talent whether it be to replace him or fill other list needs.
Iā€™m happy for Owies to leave because he should be chasing money but I think youā€™re seriously underrating his smarts.
He has kicked 5 less goals then Hayward, only 5 less tackles but had 5 more goal assists and he was apparently going to transform our forward line.
There are probably only half a dozen smalls in the league who have kicked more goals than him. Thatā€™s not just luck.

I guess it depends if we think Lemmey is up to it. I would love to pick up McMahon from our reserves as a rookie. With Ben Campo plus the addition of Lord do we really need another mid?
McMahon for me is a no brainer if no one else pounces in the National Draft. Lemmey is a shot at generation next, but we donā€™t need to invest big in that space yet. TDK, JSOS and Kempy give us other options in that area.

McMahon has played back, albeit no rave reviews, so can be a break glass fill in. He is arguably the best key forward in the VFL so we would not want to lose him from our twos. Has plenty of potential physical development to come and would be a ready made option should we need to call on him for the AFL team.

McMahon for me is a no brainer if no one else pounces in the National Draft. Lemmey is a shot at generation next, but we donā€™t need to invest big in that space yet. TDK, JSOS and Kempy give us other options in that area.

McMahon has played back, albeit no rave reviews, so can be a break glass fill in. He is arguably the best key forward in the VFL so we would not want to lose him from our twos. Has plenty of potential physical development to come and would be a ready made option should we need to call on him for the AFL team.

I'm not sure on him. He is mid size and very much a lead and mark player. Kemp & Silvagni are much better. Needs to be one out of delivered well to be effective. Played some good games when we do well but been poor as well.

He's not a need

I see him more as a finisher than a game changer. The fact we didn't take him mid season when we had a spare pick says a lt to me

Iā€™m happy for Owies to leave because he should be chasing money but I think youā€™re seriously underrating his smarts.
He has kicked 5 less goals then Hayward, only 5 less tackles but had 5 more goal assists and he was apparently going to transform our forward line.
There are probably only half a dozen smalls in the league who have kicked more goals than him. Thatā€™s not just luck.
Owies is crumbing to Curnow and Mckay, Hayward is crumbing to Amartey and McDonald... totally different.

My biggest issue with Owies isn't the amount of scoring opportunities he gets, as he gets PLENTY... It's that he continually stuffs up just about every one the isn't a set shot for goal from 30m out. He's a prolific fumbler of the footy which completely botches our transition ball movement and ruins simple opportunities for others. If Owies was a better finisher in terms of making the most of all his opportunities he'd probably kick 50 goals a season.

Reality is though he's just a smart footballer with very ordinary skills

Motlop is in a similar boat for slightly different reasons.

I'm not sure on him. He is mid size and very much a lead and mark player. Kemp & Silvagni are much better. Needs to be one out of delivered well to be effective. Played some good games when we do well but been poor as well.

He's not a need

I see him more as a finisher than a game changer. The fact we didn't take him mid season when we had a spare pick says a lt to me
He's 194cm Soap. Great kick for goal and is a lead up forward. To kick 45 goals in 16 games in a reserves side that finished bottom 3 is a great achievement imo. Only 22 years of age. Plenty of scope for improvement.

Last edited:
We potentially part with Marchbank, S.Durdin and Akuei at the end of the season.

While I think Lemmey may be better back than forward, he cannot yet be considered a KPD. He probably doesnā€™t have the athleticism to complement Weiters long term if we are being honest. Assuming Mirkov is let go at seasonā€™s end, Oā€™Keeffe will not be available to school in defence, we will be busy getting him AFL ready.

I am a little intrigued to see how the Duffy addition plays out. Wording still suggests he will need to be Cat A rather than Cat B (has been debated to death, last mention is that wording remains restricting Cat B to one Irishman.) Does the alteration to the Cat A eligibility allowing players who have played less than four AFL games to have a fourth year as a rookie, extend to Cat B. If so do we stretch Dom A. for another year? He has improved in the back half of the year, has he improved enough? If we acquire Leek Aleer is there any advantage culturally? I am not sure of their exact origins, I could be off base entirely.

McGovern surely is under scrutiny when his next contract is due. Does Kempy stay up the ground, or return to defence in a more suitable third tall role? (Think we use next season to find out).

We need to work to having four genuine KPD on our list pre ā€œTassie draftā€. Arguably at the moment we have three only unless we call Marchy a KPD. I donā€™t think many of us have Lewis Young extended post current contract. This suggests only Weitering of our current KPD will be there and will be 30 at that draft. If Kempy stays back he is going to be our only third tall backman as well (pending Duffy development)

Would be a godsend if we can get Aleer. Haynes has been a great player, it remains to be seen how much he has left, but is a third tall rather than a key position type. I can see advantage getting him for a year or two, particularly if we redeploy Kemp. Gov is not a week in week out lock. Hoping Haynes has some real coaching potential.

We need to draft a kid to develop as well, it is an absolute must, in fact we need a couple over the next 2 - 3 years, the sooner the better to allow development. Hopefully we can find a hidden gem late or even rookie draft.

Weitering is a Star (IMO our most valuable player)
I would push Silvagni to defence as I think he will do well but we also have many forward options
Young is a depth option
Akuei I don't think will survive?

We need at least 2 probably three more options

Haynes for a year is okay
Hopefully Aleer is a serious option
With Barras going to Hawks I would seriously look at DGB as a cheap option. Only 22 which is young for KPD
Charlie McMartin is a possible but long shot
Can Monahan play defence? Certainly big enough
Lemmey has talent but his lack of effort and mongrel is an issue that persists

Last edited:
He's 194cm Soap. Great kick for goal and is a lead up forward. To kick 45 goals in 16 games in a reserves side that finished bottom 4 is a great achievement imo.

Understand but my concern is he lacks some key skills to play KPF in AFL. He doesn't fill a need. Not against him at all (but have concerns) and the facts that so many clubs have passed him over numeorus times worries me

Those players have no value ā€¦ delistings I reckon
Martin definitely not a delist category. Someone would trade for him, even if only a 3rd Round. As for the Marchbank and Cuningham, agree that they would be delisted. In fact I understood Marchbank would be retiring. Cuningham may explore options at other clubs, but even if he did it would be as a Delisted Free Agent, no one would trade for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And clearly you know the details of the trade, and clearly you know how much time Carlton and other clubs put into him, and clearly you know the reasons why he chose Hawthorn, and clearly you know how much we're considering Petracca and Houston.

And a word of advice...if you're gonna slag someone in a public forum, it's probably a good idea to at least get their name right.

Information like this is leaked all the time linking clubs to players via player managers or sometime even clubs. I have a healthy level of scepticism in the media but the AFL media is pretty incestuous so they are usually pretty close to whatā€™s actually happening.

Itā€™s been widely reported that Barrass has been on the market this year and Collingwood, the Bulldogs and Hawthorn have all been mentioned, but not once have we been mentioned despite having glaring deficiency in the position he plays.

On the flip side the media and some ITKs on here have said weā€™re speaking to Houston and are considering making a run at Petracca. Both players are stars but do not address our list deficiencies. Its not unreasonable to question if Austin is prioritising targeting thd right players.

Josh Schache would be a good back up forward to take as a rookie.

I know there will be a lot of flack for this post.....

But....

Would be good to try and teach him the backline as well over summer...

Would get him very cheap $$$

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maybe he could pay us?

Owies is crumbing to Curnow and Mckay, Hayward is crumbing to Amartey and McDonald... totally different.

My biggest issue with Owies isn't the amount of scoring opportunities he gets, as he gets PLENTY... It's that he continually stuffs up just about every one the isn't a set shot for goal from 30m out. He's a prolific fumbler of the footy which completely botches our transition ball movement and ruins simple opportunities for others. If Owies was a better finisher in terms of making the most of all his opportunities he'd probably kick 50 goals a season.

Thing is, besides Williams none of our other small forwards ever get to the right spots to get those opportunities in the first place.

I guess it depends if we think Lemmey is up to it. I would love to pick up McMahon from our reserves as a rookie. With Ben Campo plus the addition of Lord do we really need another mid?

I hope we go to the draft with our first round pick for another mid/small forward. We need to keep bringing in young elite talent.

If they step up next year then great but if they need 12-24 months to develop no issue.

Lord & Wilson plus a fitter Elijah Cerra Walsh will add a lot in 2025 IMO

Last edited:
Thing is, besides Williams none of our other small forwards ever get to the right spots to get those opportunities in the first place.
It's hardly conclusive through given the run with injuries Durdin and Motlop have endured. Most would agree Motlop was well placed to cement his position on the back last year. Multiple goals in ten of 21 games. Durdin has just never had a clear run at it.

I hope we go to the draft with our first round pick for another mid/small forward. We need to keep bringing in young elite talent.

If they step up next year then greta but if they need 12-24 months to develop no issue.

Lord & Wilson plus a fitter Elijah Cerra Walsh will add a lot in 2025 IMO
That would mean four of our last five top picks spent on small forwards...plus we have traded for Elijah and Fog and re-deployed Zac.

Seems a tab unbalanced.

Last edited:

He has kicked 4 goals crumbing off Kenp the last two weeks.
He is a role player so he is going to have weaknesses, the thing is you donā€™t out score all but half a dozen smalls in the game if you donā€™t bring something to the table.

Motlop is the reason Iā€™m not worried if he leaves. They are essentially the same player.

He is a role player so he is going to have weaknesses, the thing is you donā€™t out score all but half a dozen smalls in the game if you donā€™t bring something to the table.

Motlop is the reason Iā€™m not worried if he leaves. They are essentially the same player.
He didn't kick any crumbing on Sunday, he kicked 1 from a mark.

He kicks goals which is great, but he kicks them almost always by finding space for an uncontested mark, or getting a free kick, which isn't a very reliable method. Especially against good teams, in big games.

3 of which were against traffic cones vs the Eagles. Clearly the club doesn't see him as a priority signing and I'm not too fussed either way. I'd gladly ship off Owies and Motlop, imo they are small forwards of a yesteryear.

Repeat sprints, skill with ball in hand, crumbing to KPF's and an ability to get the ball higher up the ground to deliver inside 50 and create for their teammates are what the new age small forwards are thriving on. Daniels, Hill, Cameron, Stengle, Moore etc. Owies just doesn't fit the bill of that.

Test the market, if there's some good bites then let him go and take the draft picks, if there's not then you offer him another contract and try to solve our small forward problems another way.

Leek Aleer (GWS)
ā€œHeā€™s a very bright young talent and in and out of a strong Giants backline. The phone has rung hot for him all year. Heā€™s contracted until 2025 at the Giants. Iā€™ve been told heā€™s determined to see out at least next year. But 2025 is a big year for Aleer to make a decision and heā€™s no certainly no guarantee to stay on.ā€
:(
Matt Owies (Carlton)
ā€œI still think the more likely outcome is that he stays.ā€
:oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back