List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think that's accurate at all. A year or two ago pretty much all the mids were getting some time in different positions to build flexibility -- Cerra, Hewett, even Walsh to an extent. This year it's been all about the injuries. Without them, there's every reason to think Kennedy would've played the whole year predominantly as a mid. His use in different roles is not some kind of knock on his value as a mid, it's a reflection of his versatility and willingness to put the team first.

I wish I could say I was surprised to be pointing this out, but unfortunately we seem to get the same narrative on this board whenever someone sacrifices their primary role for the team. Last year it was JSOS, this year it's Kennedy.
It's been reported, and rumoured on here, that he's free to go. Not sure that happens if they do rate him that highly, not just a forum whipping boy.

He's our second best inside mid behind Cripps, has versatility as a forward target and played every single game this year. We've lost the plot here. AND HOW ON EARTH HAVE THEY NOT LOCKED UP OWIES??? WHO KICKS THE GOALS IF HE'S GONE?
I get it but we're talking 49 out of our 327 goals for the season.

Gut feel is that Kemp/JSOS will be a floating third tall to effectively takes Owies role (he's small in stature but plays the same as a third tall).

I think Lij takes over Kennedys role, which he played to some effect throughout the season.

Sure we lose some depth by moving these players on, but I feel as if it's a necessary shake up our list needs to address critical areas.

I get Lewis Young's disposal is an issue. But we should be persisting with him and Weitering.

I can think of a dozen players I'd move on before Kennedy.

Odd.

I get Lewis Young's disposal is an issue. But we should be persisting with him and Weitering.

I can think of a dozen players I'd move on before Kennedy.

Odd.
I think Young has value to other clubs. Might be aiming to bring in another key defender this off season too?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Young has value to other clubs. Might be aiming to bring in another key defender this off season too?

Possibly Hayes is the talk.

But we delisted Akuei and Marchbank. Not sure how S Durdin is still on the list as he is also never available.

If we trade Young as well it's a lot of reliance on a wrong side of 30 Hayes.

We still need depth.

Kennedy would be a good get for the saints who have a massive hole in the middle, or even Essendon who've got an undersized midfield and flankers.

I see him as a b grade player in 6 positions, seems the club does too and he wants to play as a centre square mid.

Suits both parties

I really donā€™t understand targeting a player like Hayes who is close to the end of his career! I know we need to bolster our defence but surely thereā€™s better options
If Kemp is our first choice 3rd tall forward then we need a McGovern backup. If he can come in, play 5 matches and coach then he's a great get.

Don't like him as a first choice option, while he was one of the best intercept marks 5 years ago he's really fallen off the cliff

Our big problem is list squeeze.

Expect initial delistings to be

Marchbank
Cuningham
Sam Durdin
Dom Akeui

And there to be the following players who are advised to look at their options

Carroll
Martin
Young
Pittonet

Might also be some guys who are told that they are required, but who have latitude to explore outside opportunities

Kennedy
Motlop
Owies

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Reckon I wasn't too far off

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

My suggested plan for Austin that I wrote up before seeing the news from Mitch Cleary.

Carlton 2024/25 list changes​

Out​

Delist​

• Martin
  • Marchbank
  • Cuningham
  • Akuei (r - b)
  • Mirkov (r)
  • Durdin (r)

Trade​

• Owies
  • Carroll
  • Durdin
  • Motlop

Creates 7 senior list spots + 2 rookie list A spots + 1 rookie list B spot

List changes​

• Boyd upgrade to senior list (move him to the forward line, effectively takes the C Durdin spot)
  • Lord retain rookie (takes the Boyd list spot)
  • Duffy b rookie (takes the Akuei spot)
Leaves 6 senior list spots + 2 rookie list A spots + 0 rookie B spots

Trade out Owies, Carroll, C Durdin and Motlop to create the capital to trade for Houston (+F1) and ensure we get two picks before B. Camporeale and then match the bid.

Sign Free Agent​

• Haynes (Take the Marchbank spot)

Trade-In​

• Houston (With Owies out, Williams moves forward, Houston replaces Williams spot in defence)

Draft​

• Berry (Cuningham)
  • Hannaford (Martin)
  • B Camporeale (Carroll)
  • Gerreyn (is a KPF/2nd Ruck, effectively takes Mirkovā€™s role but Motlopā€™s senior list spot)

Rookie​

• L Camporeale (Mirkov list spot)
  • Charlie McCartin (or whoever is the best ready-made KPD outside the AFL) (S Durdin)

Senior Side​

B: Young Weitering Saad
HB: Houston McGovern Newman
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Walsh McKay Fogarty
F: Williams Curnow Berry
Foll: TDK Cerra Hewett
I/C: Cowan Cottrell E Hollands Silvagni Moir

Reserves​

B: Lemmey McCartin Wilson
HB: Hollands Haynes Cincotta
C: Binns B Camporeale L Camporeale
HF: Fantasia Gerreyn Boyd
F: Hannaford Oā€™Keeffe Kemp
Foll: Pittonet Kennedy Lord
I/C: M Carroll Monahan Duffy

Why are we better in 2025?​

Most of the improvement will come from having a healthier list. By losing the relentlessly injured players from the list we should develop greater cohesion in the squad. Players can be groomed to play their roles in successful sides in the 1s and 2s. For each role in the 1s, there is someone playing the understudy role in the 2s. They can provide both pressure to perform as a legitimate alternative or be able to step into the role in the event of injuries.

This year we had too many players who were unpickable due to being injured or just way off the standard (Mirkov, Monahan, Akuei).

Backs​

Houston, Saad, McGovern and Newman should be able to provide the rebound out of defence, while I think we just have to hope that Young steps up in the 2nd KPD role, or Lemmey has a huge preseason and leaps into the role.

Mids​

The midfield wonā€™t change much, with the lack of pace proving an ongoing concern, but if Cerra can return to his 2023 form combined with releasing Walsh back into the role of starting forward and then roaming wherever he likes to link up play, we can certainly step up from what was produced this year. TDK is the big X Factor. If he plays a year like he did that month in the middle of the season, we suddenly become a dominant clearance side again.

Forwards​

Up forward, a fit Charlie will help but mostly we saw the importance of being willing to kick to the best option instead of defaulting to lobbing it on Harry and Charlieā€™s heads all the time. This motivates the forwards to work to create multiple legitimate options and we saw the damage Williams was able to do when playing forward. He was easily the best inside 50 kick in the team and much more opportunistic with ground balls. Add another very clever forward in Berry who can finish his work, Moir getting fitter and Fogarty maintaining the rage with his tackling, I think our forward line looks much more threatening than what we fielded this year.

Apply some scoreboard pressure, get some wins and the team gels to return to the side that was top 2 in round 19.

The following year looks like prioritising a powerful midfielder and KPD in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back