List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at our current list, our backline is probably the area that we least need to changeā€¦besides needing a key defender.
Our biggest areas of concern are:
  • lack of pace and damaging kicking skill in the midfield
  • electric small forwards
  • key defender
  • players with footy IQ
While I like Houston as a player and his skill set, to me heā€™s not our biggest need.
If we do get Houston though, then maybe thereā€™s an opportunity to move Boyd into the midfield. Has pace, is a really good kick and has tickerā€¦although not sure on his tank.

Looking at our current list, our backline is probably the area that we least need to changeā€¦besides needing a key defender.
  • key defender
  • players with footy IQ
While I like Houston as a player and his skill set, to me heā€™s not our biggest need.
If we do get Houston though, then maybe thereā€™s an opportunity to move Boyd into the midfield. Has pace, is a really good kick and has tickerā€¦although not sure on his tank.

Forget the name, but players like Houston adds a number of layers and or opportunities

There is no doubt in my mind that he could play between the arcs, similar to Doc.

It's completely different to the likes of Williams who doesn't have the tank, or the conditional mindset

If Houston was to play at HB, he still has a point of difference with his run, carry, endurance and footskills

He could also release the likes of Boyd, who I'd play as a HHF

• key defender
  • players with footy IQ
Spot on šŸ‘

I really like Houston and believe he would add a lot to our side. But I worry that there are bigger holes in our list that we won't be able to cover without hitting this strong draft hard. I still think our youth stocks are a bit slim and I'd like 2 x picks inside the top 20 + Campo twins.

I'd rather us get cheaper targets who can fill a role in the side and focus on signing Weitering and TDK.

The only exception to this is SDK. I'd give up high picks for him

I really like Houston and believe he would add a lot to our side. But I worry that there are bigger holes in our list that we won't be able to cover without hitting this strong draft hard. I still think our youth stocks are a bit slim and I'd like 2 x picks inside the top 20 + Campo twins.

I'd rather us get cheaper targets who can fill a role in the side and focus on signing Weitering and TDK.

The only exception to this is SDK. I'd give up high picks for him
If we can wrangle Houston with F1 (via Richmond swap into this draft) + some other supplementary manoeuvring c/- trades, lock it in.

Main list: 33>Boyd (34) of 36 (Owies*, J.Carroll*)
+ N.Haynes (35) + Ben C (36) + pick# 11ā€¦
Rookies: 6 to be 5 of 6 (M.Carroll*, Lord, Boyd, S.Durdin*, Cincotta, HOK) >Boyd upgrade
+ Lucas C (?)
Option: Fanta down to the rookie or delisting (should never have been a 2yr contract)
Cat B: 2 of 2 (Duffy & Monahan)

*without 2025 contracts
You can see why weā€™ve let players test the market and/or contracts are slow to be offered.
Weā€™ve got to make room for our next moves.

Iā€™d be giving M.Carroll a release but VFL contract to show his wares
S.Durdin = same unless Innes can fix him, as heā€™s adequate KPD backup or potential mainstay if fit (a VFL project for Innes along with MC).

• key defender
  • players with footy IQ
Boyd to mid or HHF is an example of the types of things our coaches truly have to contemplate in this off season. A sharp focus on playing players in positions that will maximise their abilities for the benefit of the team, could really change our dynamic.

Lots to think about for our coaches in this off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I think we could benefit from positional changes, clubs generally only make a couple.

We have already seen some changes this year, with Williams, Cincotta and Ollie
+ Kemp to that. MK as well.

Will they be classed as a Utility in their bio.
Position: Utility
Fav Drink: Beer
Fav Food: Steak

Hopefully the last of Cerra at HB too.

For more of a moneyball type pick I reckon we could do a lot worse than convincing Harry Sharp that he's not going to break into the Brisbane side that easily. Elite runner and would add some speed.
Has Ed Curnow like running ability, is quick too. Solid SPC lad from a really good family. Has big upside and the likelihood of entering a finalist line up would be very enticing, not breaking into that Brions midfield soon, would add much needed speed and not cost a fortune, Good call Ninja

By the way in the words of George Constanza, "I'm back baby!!"

Last edited:
Yep Carlton prefer the sugar hit of trades and free agents to the grind & sustainable reward provided by drafting players

FREE Agents are gold to top up. Hewett = tick. ZW is far from free and a big bust on S/C redemption.

We mostly failed at the draft with SOS outside of 2015 = holes in the list still needing to be plugged from a lot of high draft picks we held that should have been nailed.
Get ā€˜16, 17, 18, 19 right and weā€™re not using future picks for trades.
2016; pick 5, 27
2017; pick 3, 10
2018; pick 19 (= pick 1 2019)
2019; pick 8 > 11 >> #17 & 20
2020*; pick 8 (traded out / smart)
2021*; pick 6 (traded out / ???), pick 27 (Motlop X)
2022; OH (11), Cowan (30)
2023; Moir (29)
2024; ???
*COVID affected drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back