List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Iā€™m not confident a midfield of Cripps, Walsh, Hewett and Cerra gets it done but that might just be me. Or we need more players to roll through the midfield?
I think Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra and E.Hollands is a pretty good core five. I would assume the likes of Docherty would also get a run through their in 25'.

I think that core group will be good enough at the contested stuff without compromising our ability to spread from the stoppage both ways (i.e., with and without the ball). Most are also great tacklers as well and Cerra/Hollands are particularly good users of the ball. Hewett also gives us the flexibility to play a run with role if necessary

I think Cripps, Hewett, Walsh, Cerra and E.Hollands is a pretty good core five. I would assume the likes of Docherty would also get a run through their in 25'.

I think that core group will be good enough at the contested stuff without compromising our ability to spread from the stoppage both ways (i.e., with and without the ball). Most are also great tacklers as well and Cerra/Hollands are particularly good users of the ball. Hewett also gives us the flexibility to play a run with role if necessary
Unfortunately the 5 you named all played 2 weeks ago and at one point it was 60 to 0, not our way.

Itā€™s a very slow midfield and not adding speed and youth wonā€™t make us better in 2025. Cripps will be 30 and Hewett 29 so they wonā€™t be faster than they were this year.

If we are hedging our bets on just removing Kennedy then we are in for a rude awakening in 2025

No matter who we draft or trade in, until we learn to hold the ball and mark it more often and try and always average over 100 marks a game with elite kicking and players leading hard and creating space, we may not get to where we all want to get to.

Marks in recent games:
Cats: 64
Lions: 111

Swans: 131
Port: 70

And without looking through a ton of games, my guess is the team that possesses the balls more and marks more usually wins the game.

Iā€™m not confident a midfield of Cripps, Walsh, Hewett and Cerra gets it done but that might just be me. Or we need more players to roll through the midfield?

Reality is, for us to have any hope of top 4 next year with this midfield mix... we have to get really lucky...

Cerra has to remain injury free and hit good form...

Cripps has to maintain his Brownlow winning form...

Walsh has to overcome back issues and the new htb rule + hit i50 targets...

TDK has to remain injury free and hit good form...

Chances are 2/4 of those won't come to fruition...

Top cap it off, to play a high possession, marking game... you need to have a lot of players with good kicking skills... we just simply don't have that... and whilst adding Houston would improve that area... what he'll cost us is going to be more detrimental.

This is why I wouldn't mind us shopping players around. We have to change it up. Float Cerra around, could get us a decent 1st rounder... Kennedy, probably a 3rd, Owies another 3rd. Combine those 3rds for another 2nd... then we can start thinking about drafting Lindsay + Berry + Whitlock imo.

Unfortunately the 5 you named all played 2 weeks ago and at one point it was 60 to 0, not our way.

Itā€™s a very slow midfield and not adding speed and youth wonā€™t make us better in 2025. Cripps will be 30 and Hewett 29 so they wonā€™t be faster than they were this year.

If we are hedging our bets on just removing Kennedy then we are in for a rude awakening in 2025
I was talking about the existing players on the list not potential pick-ups in the draft or trade period.

However, I think evaluating the performance of a midfield group based on one game is a bit ridiculous. In 2023, with a fit Cerra our leading 4 CBA mids were Cripps, Hewett, Walsh and Cerra. In that season Carlton were #5 for scores from stoppage and #1 for defending stoppage, and based on the score differential were the #1 stoppage team in the competition. That was without TDK playing to anything close to the level he played at in 2024 and without the addition of Elijah Hollands.

Of course I would love to add another point of difference in the midfield either via the draft or trade period and for me Houston should be in that role if we were to get him. But the idea that we can't put out a high quality midfield group in 2025 with our existing list is not something I agree with.

Last edited:
2015 we drafted our KPPs.

From there, we needed to build a midfield...

2016; #5? Even in hindsight, it's hard to pick any star mids from the top 20.
5 > who would you have taken with this pick? Even in hindsight, it's hard to pick any stars.
27 > Fisher - could have taken Bolton

2017;
3 > Dow - could have taken LDU or Cerra... nothing amazing though
10 > LOB - could have taken Richards, this one hurts
30 > TDK - BIG win

2018;
1 > Walsh - could have taken Rankine or Smith
19 > Stocker - this one hurts... wanted so bad at the time to back the decision but it was ultimately a reckless move to trade our F1 to get him...

2019;
17 > Kemp - could have taken SDK
20 > Philp - not sure who we would've taken instead???

If I had SOS's hand,

2016 - I would have flopped this draft too... anyone who could have nailed those picks at those positions is bullshitting.

2017 - I was keen on Cerra and Dow but would have taken Cerra ultimately. #10 iirc, I probably would have taken D.Fogarty. No way I would have landed TDK though lol.

2018 - I would have taken Rankine. We essentially gave up 26+28 to get #13 from Sydney. I probably would have kept that pick and taken it to the draft, was never really keen on gov. Probably would have used it on Clark. Oh and I'm not trading F1 for #18 here.

2019 - Probably taking Serong here.

Reality is, SOS would have had to have some extremely good foresight to nail the 2016, 2017 and 2019 drafts...
2016 was a bit of sh!tshow
2017 LDU/Cerra (saves a later trade) & we deciding between Ed Richards. TDK tick but we were also interested in Xerri.
2018 Walsh was a gimme
2019 Pick# 1 / split for H.Young (was our target)/Serong & SDK (so close..). Sam Flanders wouldnā€™t have too bad in the end. Mind you I was big on Cooper Stephens here, recently delisted.

Nail ā€˜em & you donā€™t need to be so reliant on bringing in via other measures, though we used to have a great eye on rookie picks previously.

Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy cannot play in the midfield at the same time. We need to rotate two of the three and IMO, thatā€™s Cripps and Kennedy as they can play in other positions on the ground.
Cerra and Walsh are the other 2 staring mids. Then itā€™s about rotating Elijah, Williams from the current list with some minor additions like Doc, Ollie, Durds if possible.

This is were we need to try and find another midfielder with outside run (speed) and carry but who can also play forward.
The core is there but just needs to used coreectly!

Ie. forget the last game - most didnā€™t have it in them to be playing that game. That was on selectors.

Anyone watching the VFL? Crossley is a talent, think he got delisted after his ASADA troubles at the Suns

Wonder if anyone would look at him, kicks it beautifully and is a great tap ruck

IF we somehow get Houston, does that mean we will be pushed to trade from our backline?

Saad, Newman, Houston, Docherty, Boyd, Cowan, Wilson, Williams, Cincotta is a long like of smaller defenders. Yes some are likely to play other positions but still. If Houston is in are some going out? Who has trade value? Williams likely is needed forward and Docherty back.

It's the same for our midfield. Cripps, Walsh, Cincotta, Kennedy, Hewett, Lord, E Hollands, Carroll, Camporeale, Docherty? The numbers are fine but the structure is not. Talk about trading Kennedy. You can only hope there are a few clubs out there who really want him. This is the biggest weakness in our team.

Forward line is full to the brim of VFL level midfielders. Cottrell, Fogarty, Fantasia and Durdin I don't think any club would even consider them. Motlop we will have to persist with as we will with Williams. Moir has it. I don't rate Hollands overly high as a forward but he's one of our better ones. Cuningham and Martin are gone. We don't know what will happen with Owies. Massive big numbers of small forwards and hardly any quality here. That's the problem. It's a large list of players that need to be gone from our list over the next 2 or 3 years and they are untradable. I'm not sure how we are going to get around this one. Would be great to be able to make a few trades here but I don't know that we can. We really need to bring in some forwards this year and probably next year as well and at the end of next year have a really big list dump in this area. There are some players, and most are mentioned in this paragraph, who have been given contracts that are too long.

Nor should u be - that midfield does not work!
We need actual rotations thru it, not 1 off cameos.
That midfield is the basis for the game style thatā€™s now proven not to hold up.

We need pace & burst, sure we have Cerra, Crippa & Walsh as the go to ā€œTeam Aā€ but it needs constant rotation as well.

We need to inject at least 1 serious burst player in there & roll a heap of players thru as well.

Fog, either Hollands, Hewett, Doc rotations all offer zero acceleration we need a different approach.

Midfield has been a huge problem & doing the same thing again wonā€™t solve it

Our midfield is really missing a burst player
ie Treloar type
And our small forwards are the worst in the comp to be honest
None of them play with vigor or fight
I want players that opposition supporters hate because there annoyingly in your face and good
Also wouldn't be against bringing in a couple of mature players that might need a fresh start
Especially ones with really good footy smarts awareness and skill

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to switch the forward structure to match what Sydney are doing. Have the two talls inside 50, but also secondary marking targets that hit up the 60-70m from goal range and deliver the ball deliberately inside 50. Forget completely about bombing the ball long - whichever team is pressured into doing it (or in Carlton's case seemingly chooses to do it deliberately) usually loses the game.

2019;
17 > Kemp - could have taken SDK
20 > Philp - not sure who we would've taken instead???

Chad Warner came out at 39

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back