List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Must say though that this Oliver news is very interesting
Feels like it could be a crack in the dam wall that gives and Melbourne just starts to unravel over the next 2 years

Was over on the ladder prediction thread and interestingly most people have Melbourne around 12-16th next year myself included.
If Geelong take on that contract in whole then F2 is completely fine. On the flipside Melbourne in no shape or form should de-risk this contract by taking on any salary.

If Geelong take on that contract in whole then F2 is completely fine. On the flipside Melbourne in no shape or form should de-risk this contract by taking on any salary.
Was thinking about this today , man he is currently such a liability to Melbourne , Geelong don’t play that game ( or maybe they do with coastal real estate )
In cold hard currency Feels like Saints might be better placed to take Oliver , would fit well there and RTB wouldn’t stand for his crap .

I reckon Petracca will give it a year and if Melbourne start to implode he’s gone to the Pies or Blues .

Anyone who thinks we should trade for an extra F1 next year knows nothing about AFL trading obviously.

Presumably the idea is to stockpile draft capital for Chad Warner? What a dumb idea.

Firstly all we need is a single first round pick (our own will be fine) to get into the picture for Warner next year. We would also have our 2026 R1 pick available.

In the AFL the player picks the club they want to go to and that’s it. A deal then gets done with whatever draft capital teams have available.
Unless it’s completely and ridiculously out of the required range a deal inevitably gets done.

If Collingwood had pick 10 this year - Petracca would be going there. They have nothing but next years F1 so that’s a rare example where not enough capital is in the hands of the buying club.

You will notice something in the AFL - the really big clubs, the ones in perennial finals recently - I’m talking Geelong, pies, even Brisbane the last few years, none of these teams are stockpiling future picks to please a rival club. That is the mindset of a weak, passive, minnow club.

The only ones laughing will be Sydney if we trade for an F1.

Take geelong - they knew Bailey smith was coming to them over 12 months ago. Was Andrew Mackie sitting around last year saying “oh gosh let’s get an extra R1 pick next year to please the Bulldogs”?

Was he ****.

They spent every bit of capital they had, used pick 11 on Conor o Sullivan.
As for the bulldogs? They will have to just suck it up and take pick 15.

Imagine for a second the roles were reversed. Let’s say Hayden Young had one year remaining on his deal and every one knew that he wanted to get to Carlton next year.
Do we really think Carlton would be trading out of this draft into next year so they could give us an extra pick next year? Even better - from north Melbourne, so probably a future top 5 pick?
You must be joking. Carlton would not give a rats ass about us. They won’t even put pick 11 on the table this year for a dual AA in Houston!

Use the picks this year on trades or draft selections.
We need one pick in the first 18 selections next year to be able to trade for the chad if he nominates us. That’s all. Anything more than that is a waste of draft capital.
Hear, hear. 11 out of 10 post.

Can we pin this to the thread please?

Personally I wouldn’t have Allan as a top target. Got nothing to do with him not being a quality prospect, but I just think we have bigger needs. Allan doesn’t really offer much that Johnson, O’Driscoll and Erasmus don’t already give us.

Others around the same mark offer far better skills, speed or goal kicking. All things I would target first.

I’d probably trade that pick for a future first, target someone like Davis or Oliver with our first live pick and then Urquhart later as midfield depth - rather than just take Allan.
I read on one of the draft social media groups I follow they are saying Urquhart could be a late bolter as he's reportedly had a massive growth spurt. A year ago he was listed at 183cm, then 190cm at the start of the year and 195cm now. He could be a terrific tall wingman potentially as he has some great athleticism. He is currently predicted to go around where our Saints second round will be taken after bidding but he's jumped a lot in recent times so he could go earlier.

Last year at this time it was mentioned on many of the sites we'd interview Simpson more than any team as well as Mannagh. In recent times the four players we've been linked to the most (in terms of doing interviews) are Berry( not surprisingly) Oliver, Lindsay and also Jobe Shanahan. In my opinion all 4 of those players fill needs on our list. I really like Shanahan more than most because of how he's a wonderful kick for goal by the looks. I think if we got him long term we could then use Jackson more as a midfielder who also plays forward (when a tall forward is on the bench) and ruck while having great set shots in our forward line with Amiss (he'll come good) Cyclone, Sturt and Shannahan.

Either Lindsay or Oliver would be great for us too as we need more class off half back. Apparently we've been super keen on Oliver all year.

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks we should trade for an extra F1 next year knows nothing about AFL trading obviously.

Presumably the idea is to stockpile draft capital for Chad Warner? What a dumb idea.

Firstly all we need is a single first round pick (our own will be fine) to get into the picture for Warner next year. We would also have our 2026 R1 pick available.

In the AFL the player picks the club they want to go to and that’s it. A deal then gets done with whatever draft capital teams have available.
Unless it’s completely and ridiculously out of the required range a deal inevitably gets done.

If Collingwood had pick 10 this year - Petracca would be going there. They have nothing but next years F1 so that’s a rare example where not enough capital is in the hands of the buying club.

You will notice something in the AFL - the really big clubs, the ones in perennial finals recently - I’m talking Geelong, pies, even Brisbane the last few years, none of these teams are stockpiling future picks to please a rival club. That is the mindset of a weak, passive, minnow club.

The only ones laughing will be Sydney if we trade for an F1.

Take geelong - they knew Bailey smith was coming to them over 12 months ago. Was Andrew Mackie sitting around last year saying “oh gosh let’s get an extra R1 pick next year to please the Bulldogs”?

Was he ****.

They spent every bit of capital they had, used pick 11 on Conor o Sullivan.
As for the bulldogs? They will have to just suck it up and take pick 15.

Imagine for a second the roles were reversed. Let’s say Hayden Young had one year remaining on his deal and every one knew that he wanted to get to Carlton next year.
Do we really think Carlton would be trading out of this draft into next year so they could give us an extra pick next year? Even better - from north Melbourne, so probably a future top 5 pick?
You must be joking. Carlton would not give a rats ass about us. They won’t even put pick 11 on the table this year for a dual AA in Houston!

Use the picks this year on trades or draft selections.
We need one pick in the first 18 selections next year to be able to trade for the chad if he nominates us. That’s all. Anything more than that is a waste of draft capital.

Why do you think we’re moving picks forward simply to get Warner?

Why can’t it be to get Kosi & Warner? Why can’t it be to get a better pick?

Also if we use all our draft capital this year - you assume the convo is -

Us: We’ve got 1 first rounder take it or leave it?

Sydney: We want your 2nd and your Future 1st

Us: Nope - take it or leave it

However if we move any picks forward- the convo is -

Us: We’re only trading our first rounder take it or leave it

Sydney: No - all your picks

Us: OK - take them all

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back