List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

If Brennan Cox were an unrestricted free agent our compensation would likely be "two free players of our choosing from any club".

It would be contentious diluting the draft even with superstars moving, but picks 3 and 8 have been handed out in consecutive years for bog average journeymen defenders Ben McKay and Josh Battle. Amateur league.

It's ****ing insane, I hate that I love the sport because the actual competition is a joke.

I'm perfectly fine with St Kilda having as many picks before us as they need. With their track record they'll take all the duds off the board leaving us with a much better chance of getting a star.

We have three first round pick that just worse when we’re trying to trade in players.

We just got ****ed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cap has gone up this year though
I know that ladder position plays a big part. If the Saints made finals they wouldn't receive pick 8 as compo.

Does cap play a major part in the compo or is it the contract he's been offered from the Hawks that makes it band 1?

If we were trading to the future to have a good hand in 2025, whether its for Warner or for any highly rated player, the idea would be that you are trading your lowest first and and an F1 for them, and holding the least valuable of the current ones. You don't just have to trade everything you have just because you have it. You only have to match the next best hypothetical offer.

I'll dredge up my example from yesterday and I don't care if you all don't agree.

To get in the same ball park as a hypothetical offer of pick 3 (new draft indix points value: 2178) and an F2 (mid second: 533) for Warner from West Coast, our death ridden pick 7 to 9 (1443 for pick 8) plus our our F1 (valued as a top 4, pick 15: 973) has us in the ball park (both around 2500 give or take). Whereas our natural 2025 pick 15 plus a future pick 2026 15 leaves us well short.

I'm just using the points as a guide, in reality we know that most drafts the clubs value high first rounders even more disproportionately than that. In the new system 3 is worth two pick 12s (in the old system this would have been two pick 15s). In 2022 West Coast got pick 8, 12 and and F2 and F3 for pick 2.

So long as we are prepared to ultimately take whatever 2025 picks we end up with to the draft if things don't fall our way trade wise, I don't really have problem pushing a pick forward. It's really no different a situation to insisting on Collingwoods F1 rather than current last year.

BTW I'd take that pick 10 this year and leave next year in the hands of fate myself, but I'm not Wallsy78

If Perryman gets band one as well I give up
Prepare to give up because his salary is higher I understand.

That just pushes now 17 back to 18.

Pick 8 Battle
Pick 15 Perryman
Cumming band 2 or 3

Our picks could well be 10,11,18,30

10+18 for Bolton will definitely need to be sweetened. Prob F2 added with some picks in the 40’s back to us (picks that Richmond will likely not use).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back