List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Should have the next player delisting early this week.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t.

We’ve lost a few during trade period the last few years but generally delisting the last few players post trade period is reasonably common.

Out of the remaining out of contract players, Stanley is the only one I give zero chance of being on our list next year tbh. Not sure we’re announcing just one delisting at this stage.

Last edited:

Our restarts from opposition behinds are terribly actually, compared to most other good sides in the comp.
I would like to see much more of Clark and even Wagner bring into the ball in after a behind and far less of Luke Ryan.

What made it worse this season was that his one successful weapon from a restart was to kick to cox on the boundary outside 50 and the good pre 2024 version of cox usually marked it. It wasn’t particularly inspiring but at least it worked mostly.
We didn’t even have that this year.

Our restarts from opposition behinds are terribly actually, compared to most other good sides in the comp.
I would like to see much more of Clark and even Wagner bring into the ball in after a behind and far less of Luke Ryan.

What made it worse this season was that his one successful weapon from a restart was to kick to cox on the boundary outside 50 and the good pre 2024 version of cox usually marked it. It wasn’t particularly inspiring but at least it worked mostly.
We didn’t even have that this year.
I'm not against kick it long to boundary to a strong marker. When it happens 80-90% its predictable. Also, it's the second possession also counts. It slows ball movement.

We need other options.

I'm not against kick it long to boundary to a strong marker. When it happens 80-90% its predictable. Also, it's the second possession also counts. It slows ball movement.

We need other options.
Ya agreed I don’t mind it but not nearly every time.
And not to Luke Jackson who can’t mark the football consistently.

We could even get Hayden Young restarting. Nick Daicos often does it for the pies.

Ya agreed I don’t mind it but not nearly every time.
And not to Luke Jackson who can’t mark the football consistently.

We could even get Hayden Young restarting. Nick Daicos often does it for the pies.

Only reason it works is Cox and someone else is usually in a 2 on 1 in our favour.

The problem is how long Ryan takes to kick - Good teams, or any team for that matter, will make sure the only safe-ish options are the short 30m kicks into the pocket or bomb it to packs just outside 50 if you wait 30 seconds. The best kickers in the league wouldn’t find a free man if there isn’t one.

Excited Lets Go GIF by Zypto

Lingy on ABC radio just put it all on the line, he had the opportunity to talk about any team for his sum up of the year, and chose us for butchering the end of the year but saying if we go all in on Bolton and Baker we will be top 4 next year and challenging for the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact people think Luke Ryan is just choosing to bomb it to packs unilaterally is hilarious. He's a laser the few times he's allowed higher up the ground, and varies the kick-ins when the circumstances call for something different.

Most importantly, a kick-in is just about the most controlled environment a team has. If JL didn't at least approve of it (if not actively encourage and instruct it), he'd say someone else takes the kick-in or to stop bombing to packs. And it would happen.

Reality is nobody really scores from kick-ins. We're a low scoring team from kick-in, at 3 points per game (rank 16th). Port are the highest with...5.9. It appears obvious that our philosophy regarding kick-ins is "a boundary stoppage outside d50 is a good result, anything better is a bonus".

The fact people think Luke Ryan is just choosing to bomb it to packs unilaterally is hilarious. He's a laser the few times he's allowed higher up the ground, and varies the kick-ins when the circumstances call for something different.

Most importantly, a kick-in is just about the most controlled environment a team has. If JL didn't at least approve of it (if not actively encourage and instruct it), he'd say someone else takes the kick-in or to stop bombing to packs. And it would happen.

Reality is nobody really scores from kick-ins. We're a low scoring team from kick-in, at 3 points per game (rank 16th). Port are the highest with...5.9. It appears obvious that our philosophy regarding kick-ins is "a boundary stoppage outside d50 is a good result, anything better is a bonus".

This is why I harp on about marks between the arcs. It's why Lobb was so structurally important even if he didn't take a mark - he didn't allow easy marks to his opponent and would bring it down over the boundary line. We have a dominant clearance team, we should be playing a field position game. Take the ground, move the chains so to speak, reset and do it again.

Every mark we take between the arcs adds 50+ metres to the play.

I reserve the right to also want fast ball movement once we are forward of centre.

I disagree there wouldn't be a large value attached to the salary cap component. We've seen 1.6 million from Bowes' contract worth pick 7. GC are idiots, yes, but there's not much else to go on for a ballpark value.

Regardless, the more draft capital we give up, the more salary cap relief we get. If you think 9+16 nets us Bolton on $800-$900k, that's fine. I don't think Richmond would be that generous. But if they are, then if we give up 9+10 we can get Bolton for even cheaper salary and I'm taking the extra money. It could be the difference between keeping a best 22 player or losing them. Our salary cap is going to be at breaking point with the amount of stars (league leading for top 100 paid players) we are trying to fit in. People are not appreciating this enough.
You are probably right with all this, but if we have that many stars on big money we should have performed better. That's the point of it in the end

I still think our biggest issue is in the general coaching area. Game plan, selection, overall strategy.

Sure Bolton and Picket and Warner would be amazing additions. In the end we performed below what I think we should have.

Next season I think we need to be ruthless. For me that starts with Walters, O'Meara and Fyfe. But it includes Darcy.

I also think we lay the opportunity in front of O'Driscoll, Simpson, Erasmus and Draper. Tell them that there is not locked down 23, and that they should go out and grab those spots. Knobel and Reidy too.

I still think we should do away with the whole idea of "locks" for the Best 23, everyone's spot should be up for grabs if they aren't performing to a good enough standard, that goes for everyone.

Like for example if Darcy has a really poor month I'd be tempted to drop him and give Reidy or Knobel a go, make sure players know that if they don't perform they get dropped.

I still think we should do away with the whole idea of "locks" for the Best 23, everyone's spot should be up for grabs if they aren't performing to a good enough standard, that goes for everyone.

Like for example if Darcy has a really poor month I'd be tempted to drop him and give Reidy or Knobel a go, make sure players know that if they don't perform they get dropped.

Never going to happen.

If Darcy and Reidy both played 100 games, Darcy’s 10th worst game (without an injury) would be better than Reidy’s best. The club knows that too.

Lingy on ABC radio just put it all on the line, he had the opportunity to talk about any team for his sum up of the year, and chose us for butchering the end of the year but saying if we go all in on Bolton and Baker we will be top 4 next year and challenging for the flag.
I like it

We did butcher the end of the year. I am happy for the criticism to keep flowing

There was no reason after seeing yesterday we weren't good enough this year.

We beat Sydney, Brisbane and truthfully a bees dick from Geelong and GWS just some stupid errors here and there cost us they we're probably the 4 best teams this year left in the finals.

We should be aiming for Top 4 and potentially winning a flag. Like otherwise what's the point

This is why I harp on about marks between the arcs. It's why Lobb was so structurally important even if he didn't take a mark - he didn't allow easy marks to his opponent and would bring it down over the boundary line. We have a dominant clearance team, we should be playing a field position game. Take the ground, move the chains so to speak, reset and do it again.

Every mark we take between the arcs adds 50+ metres to the play.

I reserve the right to also want fast ball movement once we are forward of centre.
'Every mark we take between the arcs adds 50+ metres to the play'
One of the reasons why I want Chapman on a wing and also want Luke Jackson to spend time in the midfield. He might not be availanble until 2026 but our NGA player Lucas Robinson is shaping as an elite big bodied mid who'll be able to marks around the ground. He's 188 cm now so very good chance he'll be massive by the time he's drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back