List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

There is zero point trying to push picks into next year for Warner because in the AFL there is no such thing as a bidding war. Warner will either choose West Coast or Fremantle and the Swans will have to deal with the team he chooses.

We need to operate more like Geelong, they know Smith is going to them so no need to scramble to get picks, it will get done with what they have. Same with Warner, if he chooses Fremantle next year he will be at Fremantle.

Gotta throw everything at landing Kozzy and Bolton this year, both fit a need and would make us a top 4 side. Also don't want to risk being caught with our dick in our hands next year if Warner picks the Eagles as his landing spot.

Bingo. This is exactly right. We could have 6 first round picks next year but if Warner doesn't choose us it means dick.

Warner next year is a better outcome, what are we going to be able to offer though if we use two first round picks on Bolton and Pickett each this year?

A lot can happen in 12 months. We maybe looking at trading out players for trade capital.

I wouldn't want to see it but Brayshaw is OOC next year. Who knows what his plans are. If he wanted to go Warner would be a good replacement (not the same player but both A Grade midfielders)

The only reason people in the media are saying we need to go for Warner over Pickett is because none of them have actually assessed our list profile, they wouldn't bother to think that small forwards are our priority.

We could easily win a premiership without Warner in the midfield, but Bolton and Pickett in the forward line boosts us massively.
Where are those easily won premierships of which you speak?
I just don't buy it that our midfield is good enough. Our midfield is elite at winning clearances and bog average at generating i50, especially meaningful i50. Part of it game style sure, and part of it is not having the cattle.
The predominant problem with Warner is cost, which is why as a total package Bolton is the best bet and the one that sensibly we are chasing hardest, because he costs less and he can help BOTH the midfield and forward line improve

I never realised Cooney had suffered so many concussions during his footy career. I wish him all the best for a full recovery from his current debilitating state of mind.
Nah, cooney knows he's there to play the village idiot.

I'm actually going to be angry if Kozzie requests a trade and isnt let go. Every other ****ing club seems to be open to letting good players go if compensated correctly and surely they arent delusional enough to think they can win a flag

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you'd need to adjust Pickett's pay, at least not for the couple of seasons remaining on his contract. A lot of players tend to go for lower dollar figures over the security of long-term contracts to ward off the worry regarding injuries and form. More so in the current climate where contracted players are traded more and more often.

I think that's something Freo have done well with a lot of their junior stars in signing them to long term contracts at lower rates and it is the main driving factor behind Freo having plenty of currency and salary cap room to target some big names this and next year.

I'm probably amongst the few who think it's possible to fit all of these players Freo are targeting with the increasing cap. Whether that's reality, we'll have to wait and see how the trade period plays out this and next year. However, I'm reasonably confident Pickett's contract is not the one that will hurt. Bolton's being smoothed out and renegotiated will be important.

Last sentence very true and I expect that'll happen.

Also have the opportunity to negotiate RFC paying Bolton some money, so I don't see TPP as the barrier.

Really it's the trade currency...probably can't land all 3 without trading something useful out.

Shai Bolton/Chad Warner Comparison

Richmond finished last, Sydney finished first (before finals)

Score involvements: 5.5/7.3
Shots at goal: 3.1/2.4
Centre clearance: 1.8/1.6
Stoppage clearance: 1.3/2.4

I think we can expect similar performance from Bolton and Warner given both will be primarily forwards with burst midfield time. Warner currently does his best work at general stoppages, similar to Fyfe, and I would hope that Sydney being as far apart in performance to Richmond as possible would make up for the 1.8 score involvement difference.

Pickett can hit the stoppages too but is even more forward than Bolton.

I’m still running with Pickett hasn’t requested a trade because the Warner stuff was holding it up.

If the club is smart they’ll let Warner happen next year and make do with what they have and work to get Bolton and Pickett through the door this year.

Can’t imagine saying no to Pickett just for Chad to stay at Sydney or go WC anyway

Bird in the hand etc. Go all out for Pickett if he's willing to ask to leave.

It probably does take us out of the Chad race if we get both, but it's not like we never lose players. Someone half decent asks to leave and maybe we're back in it.

Either that or backload the absolute mother****er out of Chads deal so he's on $3m a year when we are winning spoons after the dynasty.

It probably does take us out of the Chad race if we get both, but it's not like we never lose players. Someone half decent asks to leave and maybe we're back in it.

Either that or backload the absolute mother****er out of Chads deal so he's on $3m a year when we are winning spoons after the dynasty.
This exactly. We are not sure what another year brings. If Chad is not going this year, concentrate on what you can get this year and worry about Chad when you have to.

I’m still running with Pickett hasn’t requested a trade because the Warner stuff was holding it up.

If the club is smart they’ll let Warner happen next year and make do with what they have and work to get Bolton and Pickett through the door this year.

Can’t imagine saying no to Pickett just for Chad to stay at Sydney or go WC anyway
The situation with Baker was a factor as well, we'd already promised to bring Baker in if he picked us. As stupid as it sounds going back on your word when you've committed to a player cause another option pops up is bad for future relationships with players, managers and clubs. We were sorta stuck having to prioritise Baker ahead of Pickett.

This meant we couldn't give Pickett the same commitment we'd be able to get a deal done if he requests a trade. Him formally requesting a trade while contacted and putting pressure on the dees to get him to us, only for us to not get it done is an awkward and embarrassing outcome for him. Baker saying no means we might be able to make that promise to Pickett that gives him the confidence to lodge a request officially.

I'm not sure if it happens from here but I'd be almost certain we are chatting to Pickett's management and saying how about it now.

There a few kalary’s we could shred next year if we needed to 🧅🧅

Big Max to lead the way

I'm actually going to be angry if Kozzie requests a trade and isnt let go. Every other ****ing club seems to be open to letting good players go if compensated correctly and surely they arent delusional enough to think they can win a flag

If we do gt Kozzie ill be looking silly to my family and friends because I've always said he's a bit of a dirty player but in here I've said we need a bit of that

Realistically we need Kozzie to outwardly state he wants FREO to be his team in 2025. Not W.A, not "keen to see family" but a straight up "I wanna be besties with Jye"
"I wanna get suspended with Josh"
"I wanna look lovingly into Bailey's beautiful eyes and realise that the world isn't such a scary place and know he's always there for me."

That last one might just be me, but you get the gist.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back