List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone please reassure me the Brayshaw talk is just hypothetical? He's the best two way midfielder in the competition. I'd rather him over Warner any day of the week.
there's been actually nothing from him to suggest he has any interest in leaving in the short term. He also has grandies and 2 brothers here too. He is the only top 25 player whose contract still needs to be sown up and will be one of the largest. I would suggest that, given his character, he is assisting the club by allowing them to do the deals that get the trades done in the coming weeks before they work out how his contract will look (front loaded, back loaded, amount, etc.)

If we are hiring Angus Brayshaw for a footy department role then we'd want to sign Andrew before that happens so the AFL don't start thinking the two are linked.

If we are hiring Angus Brayshaw for a footy department role then we'd want to sign Andrew before that happens so the AFL don't start thinking the two are linked.

Freo - ‘We’ll pay you, Angus, $1.2 million a year’
Angus - ‘Ummm, that seems extreme’
Freo - ‘Does it? Well we value you. Oh, unfortunately we can only offer your bro, Andy, $300k a year… salary cap and all’
Angus - ‘Oh… that’s unders!’
Freo - ‘Is it? Maybe there’s a way to balance that out… wink wink’

Angus - stares blankly

Freo - ‘You know… brothers can help each other’

Angus - stares blankly

Freo - ‘Financially… oh come on! We need you to give some of your money to Andy’

Inevitable with an Interstate player of Brayshaw's calibre that he's going to get some big offers. Saints have buckets of cash and no-one to spend it on, so I imagine they'll throw him one of those $1.5 million a year offers we keep hearing about. Only way I see him leaving is if we push him out, which I can't see us doing.

I reckon the players know we are close to finally being able to get on top of the mountain and you wouldn't want to spend 8 years climbing a mountain just to jump on a toboggan and slide off just as you get close to the summit.

We've had a knack for announcing a big-name signature on Christmas day so I wouldn't be surprised if Brayshaw gets announced then. Will be either him or Moose.

Freo - ‘We’ll pay you, Angus, $1.2 million a year’
Angus - ‘Ummm, that seems extreme’
Freo - ‘Does it? Well we value you. Oh, unfortunately we can only offer your bro, Andy, $300k a year… salary cap and all’
Angus - ‘Oh… that’s unders!’
Freo - ‘Is it? Maybe there’s a way to balance that out… wink wink’

Angus - stares blankly

Freo - ‘You know… brothers can help each other’

Angus - stares blankly

Freo - ‘Financially… oh come on! We need you to give some of your money to Andy’

Exactly that sort of thing. It happened with GWS when Tom Scully's dad was hired as a talent scout and the AFL said no no, that's not allowed, you'll include his salary in the total player payments since it's been considered part of the package to get Scully to the Giants.

I do sorta feel like we are getting to that point with the talent on our list that we are inevitably gonna lose talent in 2-5 years' time. Especially bringing in Bolton and Warner and/or Kozzie. I know Cox and Darcy are tied up long term (and I'm not at all keen to trade them) but wouldn't be surprised to see one of them or a Ryan or Brayshaw kind finish their career elsewhere after 2027-2028.

Exactly that sort of thing. It happened with GWS when Tom Scully's dad was hired as a talent scout and the AFL said no no, that's not allowed, you'll include his salary in the total player payments since it's been considered part of the package to get Scully to the Giants.
Wouldn’t a footy department role fall into the soft cap though? So it really needs to be normal & productive otherwise we fall behind off field.

Taylor's right, it'll need to be done before-hand, not exceed industry norms and be clearly unrelated to any deal Andy signs. The AFL will be all over it.

Freo - ‘We value your input’
Angus - ‘I’m not sure how to say this… apparently there was more to the offer? Sort of off the books?’

Dale Alcock slides 3 sets of house keys across the table

Freo hierarchy nodding.
Dale nodding.
Angus stares blankly

Taylor's right, it'll need to be done before-hand, not exceed industry norms and be clearly unrelated to any deal Andy signs. The AFL will be all over it.
It'd be entirely uncontroversial and not unexpected for Brayshaw to stay on with Freo. There'd be zero problem taking Angus into the footy club, but I don't think that's a likely scenario (although he was a Dockers fan prior to being drafted).

You also get situations like the Swans drafting Warner's little bro barely raising an eyebrow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there's been actually nothing from him to suggest he has any interest in leaving in the short term. He also has grandies and 2 brothers here too. He is the only top 25 player whose contract still needs to be sown up and will be one of the largest. I would suggest that, given his character, he is assisting the club by allowing them to do the deals that get the trades done in the coming weeks before they work out how his contract will look (front loaded, back loaded, amount, etc.)
Plus his brother Hamish is here, and Angus has retired.
There’s no incentive now for him to go. Melbourne had the chance maybe.

Fair chance that is correct.

Although I love the idea of Chad, I do wish we would just jump on Kozzie while he's available right now and worry about the rest next year. If we only end up with Kozzie and Bolton so-be-it, that's still phenomenal and puts us right in the window.
Going by contract length Warner's more gettable than Pickett.

And who knows...just maybe the club has had more communication with Warner's management so have more to go on re arming themselves to chase Warner.

Eagles mates at work trying to convince me Brayshaw is considering massive offers from Vic clubs and will go this year?

All BS me hopes

Andy is all about people, he’s not a complete mercenary like some players.

Freo will have budgeted enough to pay him to stay.

There is only one risk with Andy, and that’s if his mrs decides Melbourne is where she wants to be, and I’m not sure there have been any public signs along those lines.

If Kelly came to Fremantle instead of West Coast, yeah sure. Perfect age.
Now ? He’s 30 years old. He’s washed, he’s not worth anything and he’s not replacing anyone.
I'm not sure Kelly's got any sort of body of work post-Geelong that'd have him in our midfield rotations. Bullet dodged.

My speculation is that he would if we'd commit but Warner is a lock next year so they can't.
If that is true then our list management are a bit special in the head. I honestly dgaf if they made any guarantees to Warner. He turned down our offer in 2022 and doesn't want to be traded this year. Club needs to stop bending over backwards for him and make Bolton and Pickett happen.

To be fair, even if Oliver leaves the Dees could still see Kozzie as an important part of their next finals push. He is only 23 and would still only be 28-29 if they went through a 5 year rebuild, although I think even if he doesn't go this year, he will go at some point. From our end, we just really need him and his management to start making some noise to force their hand.

Fair point, I hope that if the Dees trade Oliver they know for fact that the current window is closed and it would only take a half hearted appeal from Kozzie to come home. If they keep Oliver and still think they are a chance at a flag it would take Kozzie coming out a lot stronger to get here. I'm just not sure that's in his nature, to make a big deal publicly to force his way out.

I'm concerned Kelly would keep Erasmus out of the side and he would request a trade at the end of next year. I don't think we need another 30 year old inside mid
Peeps forget about Kelly. According to Ryan Daniels his management contacted Freo and it went no further than a casual chat. Basically this code word for not interested. Sammy Edmund is known to completely make up s*#t. Just move on and don’t waste pages of rubbish I have scroll through.

If that is true then our list management are a bit special in the head. I honestly dgaf if they made any guarantees to Warner. He turned down our offer in 2022 and doesn't want to be traded this year. Club needs to stop bending over backwards for him and make Bolton and Pickett happen.
Yeah, I've made my thoughts known but without knowing all details, not sure I'm ready for "special in the head" haha. I would say if we aren't bringing Pickett in then they'd sure as shit better not miss on Warner and you'd want a deal all but signed.

Peeps forget about Kelly. According to Ryan Daniels his management contacted Freo and it went no further than a casual chat. Basically this code word for not interested. Sammy Edmund is known to completely make up s*#t. Just move on and don’t waste pages of rubbish I have scroll through.

Casual chats are where all trades start though, if there was a chat between club and management its a story IMO.

Casual chats are where all trades start though, if there was a chat between club and management its a story IMO.
I’m satisfied with Daniels quick response and equally happy with the quick and emphatic response from his player manager putting any rumours to bed. I heard Anthony Van Der Wielen rather strongly kill this first thing this morning whilst I was as driving to work. Stating that Kelly has no intention of leaving.

Freo have committed to Erasmus, NOD and Johnson. You also have JOM and Fyfe. We’re trying to get rid of Brodie and every chance he stays. We are tight on list spots. Not going to happen. Not with Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back