List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He literally just won a flag. Stop it.
No, there is a real chance he retires before next season whether people want to believe it or not. Daniher also nearly retired the year before

Man, if Fyfe retires without a goodbye, I'm going to drink my sorrows away like it's the 28th of September 2013.

I know he's pretty washed now but the joy of watching him at full flight in purple is some of my favourite memories as a Freo fan. Dude was an absolute monster and gets grossly underrated because we missed half his prime through injury.

I wouldn't mind Ned McHenry on the list (delisted by Adelaide) he is a quick and annoying small forward much like Nick Watson.
Watson has the tricks and forward craft deserving of the title "The Wizard". McHenry by comparison would earn a title like "The Peasant"

Guy on Demonland claiming itk is adamant a trade request will come and it will be to Port
Dont see how they can get a deal done. Houston isnt getting done util the last day and even then they possibly cant satisfy Melbourne - not more than we could anyway

Fremantle midfielder Will Brodie set to stay at Dockers despite not breaking into AFL side in 2024​

Headshot of Mitchell Woodcock
Mitchell WoodcockThe West Australian
Fri, 4 October 2024 4:04AM
Comments
Mitchell Woodcock
Fringe Fremantle midfielder Will Brodie will stay at the Dockers next season despite not breaking into the AFL side this year.
Brodie is contracted until the end of 2026 after signing a three-year extension on the back of a blistering first season at the harbour club when he played 24 games in 2022.
The former Gold Coast midfielder has suited up for the Dockers only five times since and all of those were last year, with the clearance machine instead spending the year at Peel Thunder where he was pivotal to their third premiership.
Brodie was coy on his future after the victory over East Perth at Optus Stadium, last month, telling The West Australian “we’ll see” when asked if he was staying at Fremantle.
Dockers list boss David Walls said there were no plans to move on the 26-year-old former first-round draftee despite his struggles to get an AFL game.
“He’ll be at Fremantle next year. We haven’t shopped him around, he’s not looking around. He’s really happy at the club,” Walls told The West Australian.
“Obviously he wants to be playing but I think the opportunity will open up for him next year to play. But also to his credit, even though he didn’t play on the senior side he improved his games, his GPS numbers, his run.
Craig O’Donoghue: AFL must protect romanticism of father-son rule from jealous attempts to tear it down
AFL Trades 2024: Richmond’s Jack Graham set to make West Coast Eagles free agency call early next week
AFL trade period: Free agent Jack Martin set to join Geelong Cats, turning back on Fremantle Dockers
“We know that he’s a quality AFL player, but we just need an opportunity in that role for him inside to open up.”
While Brodie’s future is certain, the same cannot be said for forward Tom Emmett as well as uncapped rookies Max Knobel and Odin Jones who will have to wait until after the trade period at least to see if they will earn contract extensions.
Emmett is probably the unluckiest of the trio given he has played 15 games – including 13 this year – since being drafted as a mature-age forward with pick No.41 in the 2022 draft.
“They’re in that unfortunate position where list spots are tight for us and you do under AFL rules have to have three draft picks and that sits outside your trades as well,” Walls said.
eb230c0e48d97b0aafc87dbdc619b9fe128cee6a.jpg
Tom Emmett’s future is in doubt. No
“We’re not going to have a huge amount of movement on our list this year so we’ve said to those guys we’ve got to get through the trade period to see what comes in through the trade and then where our picks sit then.
“Then we’ll be able to make a call on it and let them know. It’s a difficult position for them and we’re mindful of that and want to let them know as soon as possible but just with the flexibility needed with less list spots we need to wait until we get through the trade period.”
Brodie stuff could be posturing. Decently likely that nobody wants him and we and Brodie aren't desperate enough to force the issue. Or we have to make it seem like we're not desperate. The stuff about just needing an opportunity to open up is a bs line though. There's like 5 players who didn't get midfield time this season who are ahead of Brodie in the pecking order, and they're basically all younger than Brodie.

The stuff about waiting to make a decision is probably more interesting. Clearest indication we have that there's stuff which we don't know if it'll happen or not, and have to prepare for all the possibilities. To hold 3 players in limbo because of that uncertainty you'd think means there's a fair amount up in the air.

Watson has the tricks and forward craft deserving of the title "The Wizard". McHenry by comparison would earn a title like "The Peasant"
Yeh McHenry kinda sucks.

Put money on it now, the Dogs will pick him up as a DFA cause they like picking up other teams discharged junk so their fans can get excited and forget how fed up they are with the club choking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be stunned if Fyfe retires
Can't see that happening
It really should unfortunately. I know he'll want that final shot at glory but realistically he's not going to be in our b22. He absolutely was the first half of this year but he faded heavily. He's not going to get any better with age.

It's either retire now with some dignity or retire at the end of next year knowing you're offering nothing to the team. It's really the best thing for him and for the team if he makes that decision.

I'd be curious to see how seriously the AFL take manipulating their FA compensation to get Baker for free in the PSD after paying way over for Graham.

I suspect our picks will come back one place as the WC pick #3 is forfeited.

As if that will happen

Good God!

It really should unfortunately. I know he'll want that final shot at glory but realistically he's not going to be in our b22. He absolutely was the first half of this year but he faded heavily. He's not going to get any better with age.

It's either retire now with some dignity or retire at the end of next year knowing you're offering nothing to the team. It's really the best thing for him and for the team if he makes that decision.

Unfortunately he's cooked

If he can only do half a season do you acknowledge that and either rotate heavily or bring him 2nd half of the season?

If he can only do half a season do you acknowledge that and either rotate heavily or bring him 2nd half of the season?
It's no guarantee that he can even do half a season. Plus the club has shown they're not willing to make those tough decisions and drop club legends for performance.

"Cooked" is a vague notion all too often used and proven wrong. Boak had been written off as cooked and had a pretty handy year. So has Cripps, Zorko and a bunch of others only to be repurposed and/or resurgent.

There's no guarantees of course. And every chance his role is even further reduced next year. But given the reduced runners and coaching soft cap, the role of experienced players as coaches is a highly valued commodity these days.

"Cooked" is a vague notion all too often used and proven wrong. Boak had been written off as cooked and had a pretty handy year. So has Cripps, Zorko and a bunch of others only to be repurposed and/or resurgent.

There's no guarantees of course. And every chance his role is even further reduced next year. But given the reduced runners and coaching soft cap, the role of experienced players as coaches is a highly valued commodity these days.
I love the guy, but as well as wins and losses, game plan, development etc, I'm judging JL next year on how he goes about phasing out Fyfey and Sonny.

If both are being added to the 23 by default every week, that's a cross for the coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back