List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I notice that Brodie is staying at the club.
I wonder what his role is to be.
My take on him is that he doesn not do enough between stoppages.He is good at them. Has good quick hands, but does not get to enough contests.
Only my opinion.And not quick enough.
I think Brodie is staying at the club more due to a lack of interest than the club wanting him or him wanting to stay. He's a one-dimensional, inside mid who has fallen out of favour at two clubs now, that is a huge alarm bell for anyone chasing. He's got significant flaws in his game, and they've led to him being unplayable in 2 different systems.

Worst case he's great depth we can call up if crisis strikes.

I am yet to be convinced that we can trade future picks in the trade period next year if we don't use two first round picks in this draft.

Sydney have 19 and 22
Gold Coast have 10, 13 and 23
Giants have 15, 16 and 21
Fremantle has 10, 11 and 18

Perhaps we can buy some of those this trade period.

Trade radio really do not give a crap about us.
I swear they have done a feature of some sort on every other afl club this week apart from Freo.
The five year audit
The deep dive
The brightside

Fremantle football club? Nothing.

I am yet to be convinced that we can trade future picks in the trade period next year if we don't use two first round picks in this draft.

Sydney have 19 and 22

If you're referring to the 2-in-4 rule, there is a loophole we can utilise to get the AFL to consider trading in a young player as the equivalent of using a first-round pick. The fact our list profile is so young gives us great leverage to use this loophole.

We will 100% be able to get Jackson ticked off as a "first-round pick' and I'd think with our list profile and Kozzie and Warner both still only being 23, we'd have a pretty good chance at either of those 2 being considered a 'first-round pick'

I notice that Brodie is staying at the club.
I wonder what his role is to be.
My take on him is that he doesn not do enough between stoppages.He is good at them. Has good quick hands, but does not get to enough contests.
Only my opinion.And not quick enough.
Was told his fitness levels not up to scratch and going by what walls said it sounds about right

Trade radio really do not give a crap about us.
I swear they have done a feature of some sort on every other afl club this week apart from Freo.
The five year audit
The deep dive
The brightside

Fremantle football club? Nothing.
Most Vic journo's are too tight-assed to pay for a kayo subscription to watch the Sunday arvo slot.

If you're referring to the 2-in-4 rule, there is a bit of a loophole we can utilise to get the AFL to consider trading in a young player as the equivalent of using a first-round pick.

We will 100% be able to get Jackson ticked off as a "first-round pick' and I'd think with our list profile and Kozzie and Warner both still only being 23, we'd have a pretty good chance at either of those 2 being considered a 'first-round pick'

I'm familiar with asking for an exception, I do not believe the AFL has that rule in place to allow Fremantle to scoop up talent from other clubs. I don't think/believe Fremantle will be granted an exemption and certainly not if WC campaign against it.

Fremantle list boss David Walls says they won’t overpay to bring Richmond star Shai Bolton but conceded two first-round picks was a fair asking price for the dual premiership star.
The Dockers are set to be one of the biggest players in this year’s trade period when it opens on Monday because of their strong draft hand which includes picks No.10, No.11 and No.18.
Bolton has requested a trade back to WA with Fremantle in best position to get the South Fremantle product home despite his four years still to run on his contract at the Tigers.

Walls said they had begun conversations around bringing Bolton home and conceded they had to give up two picks to land the top-end talent.
“We’ve caught up a few times and we’ve talked so it’s step-by-step … they’ve got a fair idea where we sit with it all. And Shai’s pretty keen to come, it’s just being able to work it out with Richmond,” Walls told The West Australian.
“It’s expensive but he’s got four years to run on his contract and he’s a top-end player. He was leading their best and fairest at round 16 this year, he’s always finished in the top five.
“When you look historically that lines up. There are first-rounders and then there’s first rounders as well. If you’re talking the top 10 or around that mark or if you’re talking pick 16 through to 18 or 19 there’s a bit of a difference with that. But it wouldn’t be too far off the mark.”
Richmond are likely to want the Dockers top two picks of 10 and 11, but Fremantle are reported to want to only send one of those along with 18 to get the deal done.
Walls said the Dockers weren’t yet at a stage in the negotiations where they were haggling over which of the three first-round picks they’d trade but warned if it got too expensive, they were comfortable to not do the deal and bring in young talent.
“We’ll set what we think is the right price to pay but like all these things we’ll position ourselves to do what’s best for the club,” he said.

“We’re not going to be just looking for that sugar hit, short-term win we’ll be looking at what is a fair price to pay, bring him in and get an immediate impact.
“If it gets too expensive, we’re happy to go back to the draft. And it’s a good, good draft to be, so we’ve got to work out where it sits and what Richmond’s expectations are which we haven’t got to yet.”

The Dockers also had interest in Richmond vice-captain Liam Baker, who has instead chosen to reconnect with former Tigers assistant coach Andrew McQualter at West Coast.
“We would’ve liked to have brought him in and we’ve pursued him for a number of years going back to his last contract,” Walls said.
“We’ve said it at a level too where we say you’d like to bring him in but it’s not like we’re going to overpay and be ridiculous with what we’re giving up for him.
“We look at it and say our fallback position is we’ve got the early pick, you haven’t spent the money so your (salary) cap’s in better shape and you’ve also got a first-round pick to use.
“It would’ve been nice but the alternative is a good result as well.”

Delisted Carlton and Gold Coast forward Jack Martin was also on their radar, but he is heading to Geelong to rejuvenate his career.

“Jack was going to really be a risk whichever way you look at it when you look at his injury history,” Walls said.
“When he’s up and going he’s a top line player but his injury history is significant, so it was at a level where we were prepared to look at it as a risk but we weren’t going to spend a lot.”

I'm familiar with asking for an exception, I do not believe the AFL has that rule in place to allow Fremantle to scoop up talent from other clubs. I don't think/believe Fremantle will be granted an exemption and certainly not if WC campaign against it.
I mean isn't that exactly what the rule is designed for?

To allow a team that has built heavily through the draft and built a list of young, drafted talent to get aggressive trading their first-round picks to allow them to take the next step?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the same article... makes out like we approached Kelly's team? Or we just playing nice..

Walls also addressed the reports around the Dockers’ interest in West Coast star midfielder Tim Kelly, who is yet to get a deal beyond his current contract which ends next

“You ask the question about all these guys when you’re talking to managers … he’s got a year to run on his contract and you ask where are West Coast and what’s their strategy and position on it,” he said.

“He’s contracted next year and while we haven’t spoken to Tim, I expect him to be playing at West Coast next year.

“But he is one that we will track and watch closely next year.”

I mean isn't that exactly what the rule is designed for?

To allow a team that has built heavily through the draft and built a list of young, drafted talent to get aggressive trading their first-round picks to allow them to take the next step?

The AFL doesn't want clubs ducking out of the draft at all, it damages the TV audience come draft time. The rule is primarily in place to stop clubs shooting themselves in the foot and granted we have some great young talent at some point that will slip over to just great talent that is middle career, with no young talent at all.

I think WC will convince the AFL that Freo shouldn't be exempt from the rule to get Chad Warner and they will instead give Sydney a better pick. The AFL might still own WC tens of millions of dollars too.

Fremantle list boss David Walls says they won’t overpay to bring Richmond star Shai Bolton but conceded two first-round picks was a fair asking price for the dual premiership star.
The Dockers are set to be one of the biggest players in this year’s trade period when it opens on Monday because of their strong draft hand which includes picks No.10, No.11 and No.18.
Bolton has requested a trade back to WA with Fremantle in best position to get the South Fremantle product home despite his four years still to run on his contract at the Tigers.

Walls said they had begun conversations around bringing Bolton home and conceded they had to give up two picks to land the top-end talent.
“We’ve caught up a few times and we’ve talked so it’s step-by-step … they’ve got a fair idea where we sit with it all. And Shai’s pretty keen to come, it’s just being able to work it out with Richmond,” Walls told The West Australian.
“It’s expensive but he’s got four years to run on his contract and he’s a top-end player. He was leading their best and fairest at round 16 this year, he’s always finished in the top five.
“When you look historically that lines up. There are first-rounders and then there’s first rounders as well. If you’re talking the top 10 or around that mark or if you’re talking pick 16 through to 18 or 19 there’s a bit of a difference with that. But it wouldn’t be too far off the mark.”
Richmond are likely to want the Dockers top two picks of 10 and 11, but Fremantle are reported to want to only send one of those along with 18 to get the deal done.
Walls said the Dockers weren’t yet at a stage in the negotiations where they were haggling over which of the three first-round picks they’d trade but warned if it got too expensive, they were comfortable to not do the deal and bring in young talent.
“We’ll set what we think is the right price to pay but like all these things we’ll position ourselves to do what’s best for the club,” he said.

“We’re not going to be just looking for that sugar hit, short-term win we’ll be looking at what is a fair price to pay, bring him in and get an immediate impact.
“If it gets too expensive, we’re happy to go back to the draft. And it’s a good, good draft to be, so we’ve got to work out where it sits and what Richmond’s expectations are which we haven’t got to yet.”

The Dockers also had interest in Richmond vice-captain Liam Baker, who has instead chosen to reconnect with former Tigers assistant coach Andrew McQualter at West Coast.
“We would’ve liked to have brought him in and we’ve pursued him for a number of years going back to his last contract,” Walls said.
“We’ve said it at a level too where we say you’d like to bring him in but it’s not like we’re going to overpay and be ridiculous with what we’re giving up for him.
“We look at it and say our fallback position is we’ve got the early pick, you haven’t spent the money so your (salary) cap’s in better shape and you’ve also got a first-round pick to use.
“It would’ve been nice but the alternative is a good result as well.”

Delisted Carlton and Gold Coast forward Jack Martin was also on their radar, but he is heading to Geelong to rejuvenate his career.

“Jack was going to really be a risk whichever way you look at it when you look at his injury history,” Walls said.
“When he’s up and going he’s a top line player but his injury history is significant, so it was at a level where we were prepared to look at it as a risk but we weren’t going to spend a lot.”
“Yeah like I didn’t want want them that much anyway”

No idea about his coaching resume but I went to unit with him and he was a great guy.
Coached a record number of games at WAFL level with South Fremantle. Oremiership coach in 2020.
Also coached West Perth for a couple of years before going to South.
According to many, a better than average coach.Much loved at Souths.
This from the Daily Mail UK.
Curley has led the Bulldogs since 2014 and took the club to finals in all but two seasons in charge. He also led the team to three successive grand finals between 2019 and 2021.

Sydney have 19 and 22

I think we definitely need to keep next years, but need to use one this year too?

Unless we get approval.

I think we would need either the approval, two future firsts or to use one this year and retain our future?

Otherwise we go into 2025 with the only option to be to use two next year - so presume we need to have those two to use?

We don't need an exception. Amiss and Erasmus satisfy the rules until the end of the 2025 trade period. I've been through several articles discussing this, and it is very clear the 4 years is referring to the 4 drafts prior to the trade period.

The only grey area is they are bringing in trading future picks 2 years in advance, and with that it gives them scope to change the framework of existing rules.

This quote from Walls is music to my ears. And should be our approach.

There's every chance we're giving up potentially two 200+ game players for Bolton. If Richmond pay hard ball, we should have confidence we'll pick up v good players at 10 and 11.

From the same article... makes out like we approached Kelly's team? Or we just playing nice..

Walls also addressed the reports around the Dockers’ interest in West Coast star midfielder Tim Kelly, who is yet to get a deal beyond his current contract which ends next

“You ask the question about all these guys when you’re talking to managers … he’s got a year to run on his contract and you ask where are West Coast and what’s their strategy and position on it,” he said.

“He’s contracted next year and while we haven’t spoken to Tim, I expect him to be playing at West Coast next year.

“But he is one that we will track and watch closely next year.”
Thought the same thing. Not reading too much into the article, but if you take it on face value, he's almost implying that if he was out of contract and/or WC were happy to move him on, he's on the radar.

The AFL doesn't want clubs ducking out of the draft at all, it damages the TV audience come draft time. The rule is primarily in place to stop clubs shooting themselves in the foot and granted we have some great young talent at some point that will slip over to just great talent that is middle career, with no young talent at all.

I think WC will convince the AFL that Freo shouldn't be exempt from the rule to get Chad Warner and they will instead give Sydney a better pick. The AFL might still own WC tens of millions of dollars too.
Please explain the bold text.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back