List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who would prefer we just hold onto the picks and select another three first rounders?

The accepted wisdom is you build your list from the draft and then pivot to trading in when you're entering your window to maximise a push to the summit. This strategy appears to suit the aggressive goal setting from management.

I'd prefer to to simply making value based decisions rather than trying to time the market.

Bolton will be 26 next year. He's played 135 games over 8 seasons. Optimistically We would get 6 years and 120 games out of Bolton. I think there is more long term value in picks 9&10 or 9&16.

AFL is a funny business where winning a premiership is all that ever matters. It makes arguments like overpaying for Bolton is the right play given our window. For what it's worth, Brisbane's premiership team had one first year player, two second year players and two third year players.

Am I the only one who would prefer we just hold onto the picks and select another three first rounders?

The accepted wisdom is you build your list from the draft and then pivot to trading in when you're entering your window to maximise a push to the summit. This strategy appears to suit the aggressive goal setting from management.

I'd prefer to to simply making value based decisions rather than trying to time the market.

Bolton will be 26 next year. He's played 135 games over 8 seasons. Optimistically We would get 6 years and 120 games out of Bolton. I think there is more long term value in picks 9&10 or 9&16.

AFL is a funny business where winning a premiership is all that ever matters. It makes arguments like overpaying for Bolton is the right play given our window. For what it's worth, Brisbane's premiership team had one first year player, two second year players and two third year players.
the issues is that Bolton fits a massive need. if it was any average joe most would be happy to hit draft
when a match winner like bolton become available you have to try to get him

Hey friend

Thought it was just me

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we manage to pick up Bolton v2 in the draft with one of those picks & the other is a bust. It will take 3-4 years for him to emerge at an elite level. We then lose Pearce / Ryan so need more elite talents.

Young talent look good since they offer more than expected, the load is carried by the experienced players (FS guns being an exception). We need to compress our talent into the 21-26 age bracket and have a great 5-6 year go at winning a flag. Join us

Brisbane also traded in Ah Chee, Neale, Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Darcy Fort and Conor McKenna as well as McCarthy who didn’t play. As well as three academy gifts.

You may make an argument that drafting 6 players woukd get the same result but you’d be wrong given Neale’s status

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right? Every chance Allan turns into Blakely 2.0
Good at winning the inside ball but absolutely butchers his disposals by foot.

He does literally everything better than Blakely FFS.

His kicking ability is closer to Andy Brayshaw than Blakely. It’s not a strength but it’s not going to hold him back at AFL level.

The negativity around drafting this absolute gun youngster just because he doesn’t fill our biggest needs is beyond a joke. We’ll be trying to draft players like him in 2025 and 2026 because we’ll need them then plus he’s versatile and can play HBF or wing anyway.

He’s genuinely one of the top five 18 year olds from WA in the last five years. We’d be very very lucky to have him.

The time to pivot to trading is now imo. There's no doubt Bolton will maximise our push, he's a bloody good player, potentially one of the best in the comp when on with his best ahead of him. He will be bloody good for us, exciting times.

If we manage to pick up Bolton v2 in the draft with one of those picks & the other is a bust. It will take 3-4 years for him to emerge at an elite level. We then lose Pearce / Ryan so need more elite talents.

Young talent look good since they offer more than expected, the load is carried by the experienced players (FS guns being an exception). We need to compress our talent into the 21-26 age bracket and have a great 5-6 year go at winning a flag. Join us
We lose Pearce and Ryan but we replace them with Murphy/Draper/Davies who all look like developing into good players.

Putting aside the arguments that everyone else is making which I agree with about trading for someone who will be very good for 5 years suiting our interest more.

I think if we were the type of team that could only draft well with first rounders, I'd be more persuaded to hold the top picks near and dear. Think West Coast. But I think we're pretty good at finding talent with lower picks. Geelong are the gold standard in that regard, and the fact they're so good at that means they can do all these all-in moves and then a couple years after you're thinking "How do you guys have a deeper younger core than some rebuilding teams?"

It just so happens that this year, the strength of the draft is its depth. I'm more concerned with making sure we have the list spots and picks to have many top 35-ish guys than holding onto the first rounders.

The two best arguments against taking 3 first rounders are

• that Bolton is almost certainly better than all of them in the next 2-3 years where we hope to win a flag.
  • we'll find it hard to give opportunities to that much young talent. Case and point - Ras. Also consider how many times you've been frustrated (especially during Ross times) about a talented youngster being stuck behind a role player. That would happen to some/all of them.

It's a perfectly serviceable option, but I think trading for top end forward quality is better right now.

The time to pivot to trading is now imo. There's no doubt Bolton will maximise our push, he's a bloody good player, potentially one of the best in the comp when on with his best ahead of him. He will be bloody good for us, exciting times.

Premierships are won by teams that probably have 16-18 players right in their prime.

I think people overreact when they see Will Ashcroft win a Norm Smith but if you looked at Brisbane’s team the youngsters playing are mostly very high picks or guys that’ve spent 2-3 full seasons in the system. Everyone else is right in their prime pretty much. In that same time Brisbane have traded in some reasonably high priced recruits from opposition clubs.

In 2013 we probably took 3-4 players into a Grand Final that were in their second year and they were mostly late picks still developing. By the time Neale, Fyfe and Walters were truly at the peak of their powers Pavlich and McPharlin were shadows of their former selves. If you throw Sandilands and Johnson in there it was four key players we needed to win a flag before they retired. I don’t think we have four players like that now but I’d still rather try and have a proper crack when Pearce, Ryan etc. are playing their best footy.

Premierships are won by teams that probably have 16-18 players right in their prime.

I think people overreact when they see Will Ashcroft win a Norm Smith but if you looked at Brisbane’s team the youngsters playing are mostly very high picks or guys that’ve spent 2-3 full seasons in the system. Everyone else is right in their prime pretty much. In that same time Brisbane have traded in some reasonably high priced recruits from opposition clubs.

In 2013 we probably took 3-4 players into a Grand Final that were in their second year and they were mostly late picks still developing. By the time Neale, Fyfe and Walters were truly at the peak of their powers Pavlich and McPharlin were shadows of their former selves. If you throw Sandilands and Johnson in there it was four key players we needed to win a flag before they retired. I don’t think we have four players like that now but I’d still rather try and have a proper crack when Pearce, Ryan etc. are playing their best footy.
Previous post you say we should draft Allan and right after you push a case for trading in experienced players? Colour me confused.

Brisbane also traded in Ah Chee, Neale, Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Darcy Fort and Conor McKenna as well as McCarthy who didn’t play. As well as three academy gifts.

You may make an argument that drafting 6 players woukd get the same result but you’d be wrong given Neale’s status

There’s almost no way Brisbane could’ve got players like Neale or Daniher other than shear dumb luck.

Neale is generational and players of Daniher’s talent don’t usually come outside the top ten, which apart from academy or FS picks Brisbane hasn’t had since 2017.

Charlie Cameron is almost but not quite entering the same discussion in terms of talent but finding an above average small forward with pick 20+ does happy for in most drafts tbh. Cameron has been better than above average but that’s probably all he is in 2024 IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back