List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I the only one who would prefer we just hold onto the picks and select another three first rounders?

The accepted wisdom is you build your list from the draft and then pivot to trading in when you're entering your window to maximise a push to the summit. This strategy appears to suit the aggressive goal setting from management.

I'd prefer to to simply making value based decisions rather than trying to time the market.

Bolton will be 26 next year. He's played 135 games over 8 seasons. Optimistically We would get 6 years and 120 games out of Bolton. I think there is more long term value in picks 9&10 or 9&16.

AFL is a funny business where winning a premiership is all that ever matters. It makes arguments like overpaying for Bolton is the right play given our window. For what it's worth, Brisbane's premiership team had one first year player, two second year players and two third year players.
We have had the last 5 years to draft, why do we want to pick another 3 this year. Are we just going to be a factory to have the best U23's but never taste success?

It is a gamble but our recent history shows it's one of the things our club is actually very good at.

Our early picks in the last 5 years are Sturt, Chapman, Amiss, Johnson, Erasmus and Simpson. Some good players in there and Chapman and Amiss will hopefully become star players but between them how many were in our top 3 players in a game this year?

If Bolton kicks 40 goals next year including a bag of 3 or 4 once a month that's the difference between 10th and top 4.

We already owe Sydney. Did us a huge favour signing Logan. Imagine we were giving 10 and 11 for him and paying him 1m a year.

the matrix dodging GIF

You can thank Josh Treacy for that, not the Swans. Treacy hurts his knee in round 1 then has an indifferent season instead of late in the year after dominating we would be trading for McDonald IMO.

Am I the only one who would prefer we just hold onto the picks and select another three first rounders?

The accepted wisdom is you build your list from the draft and then pivot to trading in when you're entering your window to maximise a push to the summit. This strategy appears to suit the aggressive goal setting from management.

I'd prefer to to simply making value based decisions rather than trying to time the market.

Bolton will be 26 next year. He's played 135 games over 8 seasons. Optimistically We would get 6 years and 120 games out of Bolton. I think there is more long term value in picks 9&10 or 9&16.

AFL is a funny business where winning a premiership is all that ever matters. It makes arguments like overpaying for Bolton is the right play given our window. For what it's worth, Brisbane's premiership team had one first year player, two second year players and two third year players.
Nope we need players ready to go now.

Draft players could be a bust and if they are from interstate they could want to go back home then it’s a cycle of picks.

We don’t have 2-3 years for players to come good.

If we have Bolton this year it’s likely we are top 4

Waaaay better and smarter clubs than Freo are breaking their necks to get as many picks in this draft as they can

But not good old Freo

We know better

“ picks you say ? “

“ you want picks ? “

“ we got picks maaaate “

“ heaps of picks “

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Like who?

Lachie Neale was 26 in 2019 when Brisbane gave up two 1sts for him. Near identical scenario where Neale had also played exactly 135 games in 8 seasons for us and Brisbane optimistically thought they’d get 6 years and 120 games out of him. Their list was also in a similar spot to ours now, a plodding team who had made finals once in 9 years (just like us) but were stacked with high-end talent and clearly primed.

6 years later and they’ve made finals every year since, made 2 grand finals and won a flag. I’d say the Neale trade worked out pretty well for them.

We need players who can come in and have an impact now. We can not keep banking on the future at the cost of the present. We take all our picks to the draft, chances are they spend all year at WAFL level developing, we don’t improve, JL gets the sack and we have to start all over again from scratch.

Waaaay better and smarter clubs than Freo are breaking their necks to get as many picks in this draft as they can

But not good old Freo

We know better

“ picks you say ? “

“ you want picks ? “

“ we got picks maaaate “

“ heaps of picks “

Do you know how many clubs would bite Richmond's hand off if they gave them so much as a sniff of getting Shai Bolton?

WC are planning on flogging off their pick 3 so they can more easily trade for Liam Baker. LIAM BAKER!

We are in a position of rarified fortune.

Shows what a gamble the draft is.
Swans just delisted their 2022 pick #27
Sydney absolutely hated that draft

They were on the phone every 5 mins trying to offload their picks lol

They offloaded the Weddle pick, that one looks like a big mistake in the end

The guy was a hawthorn NGA that didn’t make it past pick 40. Sydney doesn’t get everything right and neither does any team.

I'd take it a step further, Swans drafting is largely terrible in the recent past. Their best players are mostly from the academy, propped up by some experienced players from drafts long ago.

The lone diamond is pulling Chad out at 39 (having butchered 5, 26, 36 in the same draft). Pretty sure they've had few, if any, big wins from the draft since the mid teens.

191cm mid/HB from WA that seems to find time and space with good ball use and a leader. What's not to like?

Pretty sure you are taking liberties here. Not sure anyone has him in the "good user" category.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But not good old Freo

We know better

“ picks you say ? “

“ you want picks ? “

“ we got picks maaaate “

“ heaps of picks “

We lost Schultz last year and picked up a 1st and 2nd round pick in the trade.

We then effectively use one of those picks and another to add an upgrade to that player lost last year in an area of need.

It’s not as if we won’t be hitting this draft. Every chance with our suite of picks we still have 2-3 picks in the top 40 and one of those at pick 11-13.

Brisbane also traded in Ah Chee, Neale, Daniher, Charlie Cameron, Darcy Fort and Conor McKenna as well as McCarthy who didn’t play. As well as three academy gifts.

You may make an argument that drafting 6 players woukd get the same result but you’d be wrong given Neale’s status
Josh Dunkley

Brissy wouldn't be close to a flag without their trading

But not good old Freo

We know better

“ picks you say ? “

“ you want picks ? “

“ we got picks maaaate “

“ heaps of picks “

And the club that we are most similar to age profile wise, Hawthorn, is gonna trade picks for contracted soon to be 29 years old injury prone Tom Barrass right after spending a bunch of cap space on Josh Battle, trying to get Bailey Smith through the door and losing out on others.

But not good old Freo

We know better

“ picks you say ? “

“ you want picks ? “

“ we got picks maaaate “

“ heaps of picks “

Name one?

Teams are trying to get in to TRADE players in. All they’re doing is moving their picks from next year forward.

The 2 teams mentioned to potentially split their pick is to bring in a player and still use one in the draft.

No one, yet, is scrambling over themselves to get in for this draft.

Lachie Neale was 26 in 2019 when Brisbane gave up two 1sts for him. Near identical scenario where Neale had also played exactly 135 games in 8 seasons for us and Brisbane optimistically thought they’d get 6 years and 120 games out of him.
I could be cheeky and retort with Jesse Hogan but in terms of similarity I'm gonna go with Chad Wingard.

Screenshot_20241006-124832.png

I’m just old school I guess

Draft your players

Pay your players

Fiddle around with trading for blokes who aren’t getting a go here and there and want to come to you for football reasons

Motivation wins

Just doesn't work that way anymore

Every prem team in recent memory has traded in players

I could be cheeky and retort with Jesse Hogan but in terms of similarity I'm gonna go with Chad Wingard.

View attachment 2133465

Not comparable, Hawthorn in 2018 and Freo in 2024 were in completely different positions. Hawthorn were coming out of their dynasty years and were just about to fully rebuild, the Wingard trade never really made sense for them especially considering they also gave up pick 15 and 35 on top of Burton. And then the injuries ruined him.

Neale and Bolton trades are near identical scenarios in terms of where both Brisbane were in 2018 and where we are now.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back