List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Garlick is being a bit too forward in stating his desire to get these players there I reckon.

It’s just leads to overpaying.
Its amazing how thrifty clubs become in negotiating when they have minimal capital.

Then when you have the opposite I.e. us this year and the suns every year - you just seem to pay more and get less value.

Bolton is a match winner under contract. After F/S and Academy picks it probably ends up picks 12 and 20. That's fair. We got similar for Schultz.

Dylan Shiel was AA the year before he was traded, while contracted, for a pick around 10 and a future first with a second round pick going back to the Bombers.

Next year if WC are rubbish because their second key defender is traded this year and their next best is injured Sydney would get a fat nothing for him and they can offer him too much money to turn down.

I tend to view it that Kozzie won't force his way out or put enough pressure on Melbourne to at least officially ask for a trade. The view has been that we are basically the Port replacement club for this season and he's been out/in for the last 3 off seasons. Why would Melbourne cave when the pressure from Kozzie to get out is as low as Fremantle v Port.
This is fair enough from a Dockers supporter POV. From Pickett's POV, I understand keeping the trade request internal. 1) Freo can't really commit to getting it done, so why would you piss off the fanbase you have to play in front of, and all of your teammates and club personnel you have to work with at your job? 2) Melbourne really might have told him that the trade is 100% not happening; the club has had enough recent PR disasters, and they're not willing to give up on a flag next year before the inevitable post Gawn + May rebuild. It's probably a combo of factors. In any case, what does a public trade request get you except Melbourne's cutthroat back-channelling of nasty stories about your character, and playing with guys who don't like you, in front of a crowd that doesn't like you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The situation with Kozzie is no doubt the same it has always been: Kozzie wants a trade to Freo, Melbourne won't play ball. Even the most optimistic reports/rumours have firmly positioned Melbourne as the barrier to a trade. After the Bolton trade is done, and keeping our options open for Warner, we don't have the godfather deal that would make them profoundly reevaluate.

Pickett wants to play with Bolton. The sooner the Bolton deal gets done the more likely that Kozzie requests a trade to Freo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back