• Chad Warner

Votes: 166 67.8%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If academy players, father son picks etc were paid for with a draft currency outside of the picks but tied to the picks in terms of value then you could have a free agency buying team lose points equivalent to the pick the original team gets from the AFL.

Points don't matter currently to the clubs taking a pick at the draft that doesn't involve a father son or academy player.

Give each side an amount to spend per year that would allow them to match a bid in the top ten every five years and if they want to swap them for a free agent instead, they can, if they want to sell them for a pick they can and if they want to buy them they can.

Why do free agent compensation picks not come from the team signing the free agent? Ridiculous that the team getting the player pays nothing but the other 16 clubs "pay" for it by having draft picks pushed down the order.

100% this

Why is everyone else penalised because a player leaves a team to go to another team. The AFL have bones in their head.

Defeats the purpose of free agency. Free agency means the player can move for nothing otherwise it would just be a trade.
Well then just get rid of all compo picks altogether
why compensate the team losing the player if they couldnt convince him to stay

where the club gets the pick doesnt effect the players ability to move

Well then just get rid of all compo picks altogether
why compensate the team losing the player if they couldnt convince him to stay

where the club gets the pick doesnt effect the players ability to move
I agree in principle however you have to think through all of the impacts.
Lower teams are more likely to lose free agents, so with no compensation it sets the scene for continuous raids without much chance of recovering, at least compensation means it can be a win-win.

I agree in principle however you have to think through all of the impacts.
Lower teams are more likely to lose free agents, so with no compensation it sets the scene for continuous raids without much chance of recovering, at least compensation means it can be a win-win.

That is a key point because the rights of the players cannot be tied to the performance of the teams.

The one thing I would say, is draft pick values are locked prior to any compensation being handed out (free agency, gifts from the afl etc).

So the compensation pick carries no points, and from a bid matching perspective the other clubs aren’t affected.

Would also mean from a bid perspective, an existing pick 6 carries more value than the compo pick 2.

The one thing I would say, is draft pick values are locked prior to any compensation being handed out (free agency, gifts from the afl etc).

So the compensation pick carries no points, and from a bid matching perspective the other clubs aren’t affected.

Would also mean from a bid perspective, an existing pick 6 carries more value than the compo pick 2.
I like this, could be extended to latter picks moving in after picks have been used to match bids, just lock all pick values at where they landed at the end of the season, none of this sliding up and down business.

Why do free agent compensation picks not come from the team signing the free agent? Ridiculous that the team getting the player pays nothing but the other 16 clubs "pay" for it by having draft picks pushed down the order.
cos the comp is farked; corrupt as hell. Welcome to BigFutbully by the way :grinv1:

Wouldn’t be against removing compensation picks but making it so pretty much every half best 22 player is a restricted free agent and incentivise matching the bid.

So depth players and players that are easily replaceable walk to whoever they like but actual good players end up traded.

Wouldn’t be against removing compensation picks but making it so pretty much every half best 22 player is a restricted free agent and incentivise matching the bid.

So depth players and players that are easily replaceable walk to whoever they like but actual good players end up traded.

The AFLPA would never agree to that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFLPA would never agree to that.

Agree 100% - the AFLPA have too much power and the star players are the ones they look after so what I’ve suggested won’t happen. It’ll only get better for the star players not worse.

For me though what I’ve suggested is what should happen. I don’t follow American sports but do follow European football - whilst free agents do move regularly it’s rarely the star players (even though the best footballer ever moved as a free agent).

I don’t follow American sports but do follow European football - whilst free agents do move regularly it’s rarely the star players (even though the best footballer ever moved as a free agent).

It is rarely the star players because most aren't arseholes and leave for nothing. Those that are going to leave go 12 months before the end of their contract so the club get some money for them.

The idea of free agency was to be like American sports where players leave for more money which usually means they end up at a bad team. But in footy 90% of the time it's the better players from bad teams leaving to join contenders. So I don't mind compensation but it shouldn't affect every other team while a top 4 side keeps their picks and gets a good player for free.

It is rarely the star players because most aren't arseholes and leave for nothing. Those that are going to leave go 12 months before the end of their contract so the club get some money for them.

I understand that but I think it’s often club driven selling players 6 or 12 months early rather than the players not being pricks.

It is a different environment though. Players can sign for four years then request a transfer a year later - I guess there’s no stopping that in the AFL but it just doesn’t happen. You also see talented players that are believed be future stars go to one of the bigger teams and those smaller teams have to sell because contract wise they’ll never be able to offer in the same ballpark.

Lets hope the Swans get Logan all signed us ASAP. Can't remember a "big name" player I've wanted less.

Happy to wear it when he becomes a gun but I don't see it with him.

Reminds me of Todd Marshall.

Sort of. He's a much more talented footballer, but just seems to lack physicality required to be a quality KPF, just like Marshall.

Lobb is just big, a good runner and has decent hands. He's not smart. Logan at least gets too good spots and hence all the over the back goals as he knows where to be.

Lets hope the Swans get Logan all signed us ASAP. Can't remember a "big name" player I've wanted less.

Happy to wear it when he becomes a gun but I don't see it with him.

Reminds me of Todd Marshall.
I think watching him today has changed my mind a little about him. He does indeed look very soft.

Now id love us to go all in on Shai and Baker haha!

Back