Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to ask Davies to vacate #12 so Bolton can wear the jumper of our last great small forward/mid.
it's never too late for us to bring him back

I can't believe the Heppell joke is still going....! Who will be next once he retires..?!?! :think: :straining:

Lets Go Fight GIF by nounish āŒā—Ø-ā—Ø

It will be, they don't want to pay him, he doesn't want to be there, they get draft picks and Will Brodie. He'd wallow for the next four years and they both know it.
Canā€™t see them being interested in Brodie, they have brought in midfielder from other clubs it hasnā€™t worked

Last edited:
Agree in theory but no need to be reckless with picks when itā€™s clear we have some leverage. Richmond need to reload on youth before Tas and they see this as an opportunity to do so.
Yes of course. I don't completely agree with the video. It is actually Richmond's necessity than ours to make this deal happen.We can still survive with out him as a good small forward will play in the best 22 from the first year itself after draft or we can grab some good small forwards from other teams who are surplus to their team but can be best 22 in our team. They both will be cheaper in terms of both draft picks and salary which may enable to bring Warner.They may be bit lower in talent than Bolton but overall we will be in a better position. On the other hand this is Richmond's best chance of building a core midfield and key positions as Tassy is coming in 2 years time. Every one knows it and that's why all are salivating at our picks.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm in two minds with Bolton but 100% want Warner.

Bolton at his best is A grade but is a little hot and cold plus contracted will be at the hands of Richmond asking for overs on a high priced contract.

He does light up Optus.

Freo have the opportunity to get three to 4 young guns this draft that will be perfect before Tassie enter. They could help drive us for the next 10 to 11 years.

Bolton may only have 4 quality years left and he's just one player. All be it quality on his day.

Getting him and Warner will clog our cap space. We would be looking to sign up Brayshaw on a big extension as he is integral to our push forward.

I'd rather get some quality lads this year plus Warner next year for sustained success than risk it on Bolton.

What are other posters thoughts

You might but Richmond wonā€™t
Which is fine, we walk away from the deal. If Richmond will only accept way over Bolton's price on a deal and retain probably their highest paid player who doesn't want to be there, that's on them. The deal only gets worse in future years and I don't see the point of retaining Bolton as they rebuild.

The onus is on Richmond to assist Bolton getting home, not us. We can offer a fair deal but no reason to go overboard.

Bolton at his best is A grade but is a little hot and cold plus contracted will be at the hands of Richmond asking for overs on a high priced contract.

He does light up Optus.

Freo have the opportunity to get three to 4 young guns this draft that will be perfect before Tassie enter. They could help drive us for the next 10 to 11 years.

Bolton may only have 4 quality years left and he's just one player. All be it quality on his day.

Getting him and Warner will clog our cap space. We would be looking to sign up Brayshaw on a big extension as he is integral to our push forward.

I'd rather get some quality lads this year plus Warner next year for sustained success than risk it on Bolton.

These pages are filled with desperate pleas for a quality small forward to help complete our list. We have one of the best wanting to come here, we have to pursue it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are in a no lose situation.

Richmond don't want to deal. Ok let's pursue Warner.

Richmond and Sydney don't want to deal. Ok we will see you when Chad is out of contract. In the mean time adding 2 high quality prospects to the list.

Isiah Winder and Sam Davidson are two mature age forwards worth consideration too.

He does light up Optus.

It's a fair post, because most of the board is "pro-Bolton" and excited by the 'potential' of what he could bring, as opposed to the reality. The 'hot & cold' as you described, which I think is fair to say he's always had, bit of a mercurial player even in Richmond's most recent successful period. HOWEVER...! He is a game-changer, flashy type of player and arguably in top gear, a devastatingly good player. A circuit breaker, a flip it on his head type - he WILL get goals, and lots of them in a good side. Which is what Fremantle is now. Plus he's a WA lad, so we have that added bonus. Come home, settle; be amongst family and friends...no dickhead stuff, and it's looking like we just added the cherries, especially if we wind up with Warner too. Add Bolton and Warner alone, that's a scary prospect for the other 17 teams, no joke. Could be heading into formidable territory.

Like you, I'm a little torn as this draft is being talked up as a good, if not great draft to select from, and that idea you proposed of adding 2,3 or even 4 decent picks off it to continue the surge into the extended future sounds enticing and makes sense. I guess it boils down to the demographics of how Freo see their squad right now and if it has enough to win a flag, even now in 2024, and beyond. I felt like it was a "no flag" year this year but certainly one where a better opportunity to get MUCH better than 2023 was emerging. The boys have kinda flipped that on its head and are definitely a contender, which doesn't mean they'll win it, as it stands - but they're no doubt in the mix to.

So what to do, personally I think now is the time to load up on the cherries, we've got the cake. If we can keep one 1st rounder for the draft, that's okay. If we can snare a Bolton, that's a must for mine. We might split some picks or do some other stuff we're not even aware of as yet, the fact we have these choices right as we're seriously entering a window is bloody exciting and crazy, really. That's what's got us licking our lips, can't wait to see how it plays out

Last edited:
Agree in theory but no need to be reckless with picks when itā€™s clear we have some leverage. Richmond need to reload on youth before Tas and they see this as an opportunity to do so.
I think the leverage will disappear if they ship off 3 other best 10-15 players first. Our only chance to get some is Bolton going public of coming home for family & the deal being done first. Hopefully Gold Coast dig in too about Rioli so we just pay overs, not ridiculous overs.

We are in a no lose situation.

Richmond don't want to deal. Ok let's pursue Warner.

Richmond and Sydney don't want to deal. Ok we will see you when Chad is out of contract. In the mean time adding 2 high quality prospects to the list.

Isiah Winder and Sam Davidson are two mature age forwards worth consideration too.
Winder should be on an AFL list. I hope itā€™s ours. Watching him nearly every week he is a cut above WAFL.
Seems to have fixed whatever the reason he failed at Westcoast.

He does light up Optus.

I think there are a few intangibles to consider that make Bolton over picks a no-brainer
  • Freo doesn't get the luxury to think of a run of 11 years. We have the core players (AB notwithstanding), locked in between 2027 and 2030. That is our window. Then you start losing players coz of the cap or the bodies start to fall off quicker than you think. Our best chance at success in the history of our club is the next 6 years. You maximise that window.
  • Provided we dont get ****ed on player access, our NGA is about to become Sydney levels of a gold mine. That is going to keep talent coming in, not as cheap as previously, still cheaper than normal. There is every chance by the sounds of it we could have two top 10 NGAs across 2025 and 26.

The only concern on getting Bolton IMO is missing out on the Chad and/or Richmond being ridiculous with demands.

Will Richmond "come out ahead" in 10 years with the players they draft? Probably, but no ones going to care with Bolton kicking bags in finals across a dynasty

It's funny, the two different boards. You watch Richmond board slowly all come to terms with their actual situation and understand that the draft is where you build from. Picks aren't magic beans, they are lotto tickets when you have time for them to develop.

I think on here we still need to come to terms with how good we are on AND off-field. The club hasn't made a mistake with trades since Bell wasn't able to stop the Hogan trade. We are mostly done with draft picks for the immediate future, as any team in our situation should be.

With this exit of experienced Richmond players likely, who are they going to pay?

Thereā€™s a strong chance they cover a percentage of Boltonā€™s contract to access as many high picks as possible. Those details will remain somewhat of a mystery.

Hypothetically say Bolton is on $1million over next 4 years. I can see a 5 year deal at say $4.6, Richmond cover $1.6 of that over a 3-5 year period. We give up 2 best firsts and get a future 3rd back.

Then I can see a poorly worded headline to which the masses donā€™t understand the intricacies of the deal and seemingly we were dudded.

Richmond paying part of his contract will have to form a big part of this deal going down. Essentially thatā€™s what weā€™ll be paying for. Part Bolton, part payment to allow us to still go fishing.

I think there are a few intangibles to consider that make Bolton over picks a no-brainer
  • Freo doesn't get the luxury to think of a run of 11 years. We have the core players (AB notwithstanding), locked in between 2027 and 2030. That is our window. Then you start losing players coz of the cap or the bodies start to fall off quicker than you think. Our best chance at success in the history of our club is the next 6 years. You maximise that window.
  • Provided we dont get ****ed on player access, our NGA is about to become Sydney levels of a gold mine. That is going to keep talent coming in, not as cheap as previously, still cheaper than normal. There is every chance by the sounds of it we could have two top 10 NGAs across 2025 and 26.

The only concern on getting Bolton IMO is missing out on the Chad and/or Richmond being ridiculous with demands.

Will Richmond "come out ahead" in 10 years with the players they draft? Probably, but no ones going to care with Bolton kicking bags in finals across a dynasty

Yes some fair points but you also mention the possibility of not getting Warner. I'd personally rather get him. Although he hasn't expressed his want to head home and play for Freo.

Solid points as ever Snuff. It really boils down to if you can get that quality in, when you're primed and ready to fire. You just get it done and Shai fits like hand to glove and then some. It's only what other clubs do and will do, see Lynch at Richmond as a prime example. I reckon we have more leverage anyway, as Richmond will get a bit twitchy if we hold poker-face, after all they have to decide if their rebuild is total bottom out and starting at the end of this year (which it obvious is), and we have the picks to entertain a deal, a good one for them at that; or if there's enough there to not have to go manic, I'd say it's more ala Freo in 2016 and beyond. Cut the list, strip back and reload. Of course, I'm biased and want me some Bolton, so naturally my mind dangles those carrots. OR.....you get Bolton making that request. "Time for me to head home, family reasons/Richmond now sucketh reasons and I'm greedy for more success and Freo is challenging reasons..". Of course, all diplomatically worded at the first presser with respect and reverence for one's former employers mind!

There's way too much smoke without the fire as we air......and the window is definitely for the NOW! If he's available and the price isn't ridiculous or astronomically; damagingly sky-rocket high, it's go-go time!!!

Yes some fair points but you also mention the possibility of not getting Warner. I'd personally rather get him. Although he hasn't expressed his want to head home and play for Freo.
Yeah but the post was mainly about picks. Picks are our least valuable commodity for the future, capspace is king, I think that's a different discussion.

I think reading between the lines if you trust what Daniels is saying. Bolton did approach us and now we've had to re-assess with how much work has been put into Warner. It does sound like Freo are saying "yes, but not at the expense of The Chad"

Yeah but the post was mainly about picks. Picks are our least valuable commodity for the future, capspace is king, I think that's a different discussion.

I think reading between the lines if you trust what Daniels is saying. Bolton did approach us and now we've had to re-assess with how much work has been put into Warner. It does sound like Freo are saying "yes, but not at the expense of The Chad"

Sounds like exciting times

I just want to enjoy the rest of the season and hope our brains trust nails the off season

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back