Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we can expect him to take a cut, but he needs to extend and take less in the back end.
If we were the ones courting him, sure. But he's the one leaving his current employer and coming to our doorstep asking us to take him in. He's the one that we didn't plan for and he should be accomodating in some sense so that he gets what he wants.

While I'm happy to be getting Bolton, I would feel a little better if we could get the price down to 9 and the Port first and keep his contract under 1m a year. Would appreciate Bolton more if he help be signing on a couple extra years at bargain rates. Bolton is pushing this move as much as anyone, would.be nice if he can help

I find it surprising Richmond had to give him a 1m a year contract to keep him in the first place.
Ive got a Richmond supporting cousin who thinks the Bolton trade will be a massive win for both clubs.

According to him Richmond are so far under the salary cap in 2025 if they trade Bolton, Baker and Rioli they have to pay a significant amount of their salaries or risk the AFL fining them for being under the c minimum cap. Richmond will also loose the massive cap burden of Martins contact in 2025 as well as the far lesser contracts of Grimes and Picket. While Richmond also have a massive contract to Lynch off their books at the end of next season while being massively under the 2025 cap already. If we offer two firsts for Bolton it wouldn't surprise me if Richmond payed around $400,000 of his contract per year if not more.

If it costs us Sturt and other players. I do.

Plus it costs us draft picks.

I don't think it gets us closer to a flag.
It was on the proviso that we had money for everyone one we need. Sturt is very definitely a need. I personally like the thought of adding more class from the draft especially from this draft but we no longer have the time.

While I'm happy to be getting Bolton, I would feel a little better if we could get the price down to 9 and the Port first and keep his contract under 1m a year. Would appreciate Bolton more if he help be signing on a couple extra years at bargain rates. Bolton is pushing this move as much as anyone, would.be nice if he can help

I find it surprising Richmond had to give him a 1m a year contract to keep him in the first place.

I think it's pretty naive (and/or selfish) of him to pursue the move without any expectations of taking a pay cut.

I don't think we can expect him to take a cut, but he needs to extend and take less in the back end.
I'd be staggered if talks about salary compromise didn't come up from our end. In fact, it's negligent if we didn't raise it.

I'm sure we were mad keen until he signed last year. We've clearly moved on so even if we were happy to pay the full $ in principle, there is every chance we can't afford it.

I also do not believe we tell players we are chasing to GAGF because now we can get Bolton. Especially not with the stuff that has been said about managers recently. You'd be torpedoing the club down the line doing that given the amount of power they seem to have.

"Yeah sorry Chad, we're still keen but going to have to bump you down to 700k because something else came up"

There's just no way it goes down like that unless we're incompetent.

Ive got a Richmond supporting cousin who thinks the Bolton trade will be a massive win for both clubs.

According to him Richmond are so far under the salary cap in 2025 if they trade Bolton, Baker and Rioli they have to pay a significant amount of their salaries or risk the AFL fining them for being under the c minimum cap. Richmond will also loose the massive cap burden of Martins contact in 2025 as well as the far lesser contracts of Grimes and Picket. While Richmond also have a massive contract to Lynch off their books at the end of next season while being massively under the 2025 cap already. If we offer two firsts for Bolton it wouldn't surprise me if Richmond payed around $400,000 of his contract per year if not more.
I've come to terms with it costing the first two picks, I agree it will be a rare win for all involved. Wouldn't mind paying a fair price instead of overs for once though. I just can't see Richmond accepting less than the best two picks which is what I kind of meant from.the first post

Not if it takes an extra first rounder to get that 400k

Considering our list position and draft hand, I consider using a first to effectively increase our salary cap by 400k to be a good use of draft capital. I'm actually glad Bolton is contracted with Richmond needing to meet minimum payment requirements and opening up this option. Extra money to pay gun players is more valuable than a 1st that will likely take years to have an impact and might be a dud.

It was on the proviso that we had money for everyone one we need. Sturt is very definitely a need. I personally like the thought of adding more class from the draft especially from this draft but we no longer have the time.
I disagree.

Hit the draft one more year then top up.

But don't target contracted players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

go_the_dockers

Just to drill the point home. How many times do you think a Freo player has had 80 or more shots on goal in history (excluding OOB)?

The answer is 9 and 6 of them are Pav 😍. Others are Mods, Medhurst and Clive :muscle:.

You're absolutely off your tree if you think you can find that level of output from some state league spud or roleplayer at another club. It's better than Walters best by 24 shots.

Edit: just to be clear, it was 84 shots and I understand Owies would get paid less (and rightly so).

Last edited:
I disagree.

Every premiership team, every single one has had to target contracted players to finish off the list.

go_the_dockers

Just to drill the point home. How many times do you think a Freo player has had 80 or more shots on goal in history (excluding OOB)?

The answer is 9 and 6 of them are Pav 😍. Others are Mods, Medhurst and Clive :muscle:.

You're absolutely off your tree if you think you can find that level of output from some state league spud or roleplayer at another club. It's better than Walters best by 20 shots.

The point has been made many many many times, Bolton is an absolute gun who can role through the midfield AND has the ability to kick 40 goals in a season. Not sure what else needs to be said or can be said. Anyway, I ****ing can't wait to watch Bolton run around in purple.

go_the_dockers

You're absolutely off your tree if you think you can find that level of output from some state league spud or roleplayer at another club. It's better than Walters best by 20 shots.
I think's the more you look into Bolton the better it gets in terms of what he adds to our team. In 2024 early on in the year he was top 5 on the goal kicking list when he was regularly playing forward but after about round 6 or 7 Richmond had a ton of injuries to their mids. In the weeks that followed he was not only playing as a forward in a team that was getting thrashed regularly midfield but the oppositions best defender was constantly manning him up as he was Richmonds deepest forward. After some low stat weeks he played way more mid than forward for a series og games. My point is that when he played as a forward in a team matching the opposition in the midfield he was the leading small forward in terms of goal kicking in the comp. I think he'll be elite as a small forward in our team.

I disagree.

I wouldn't be against that myself but getting Bolton and not Baker would allow us to do both. Bolton will also add an x factor into our midfield that we could really use. Baker is the waste of a draft pick to me, not Bolton. It pretty much fixes our small forward issue immediately.

go_the_dockers

Does it matter, if they only kick 40 goals.

Not saying he can't play. Just saying two firsts plus 1.2 million is too much.

If he kicked 60 it is a different conversation

I've come to terms with it costing the first two picks, I agree it will be a rare win for all involved. Wouldn't mind paying a fair price instead of overs for once though. I just can't see Richmond accepting less than the best two picks which is what I kind of meant from.the first post
We actually cant trade our own first rounder this year. Its due to how many of your own first rounders you can trade over a certain period of time and the Jackson trade.

I wouldn't be against that myself but getting Bolton and not Baker would allow us to do both. Bolton will also add an x factor into our midfield that we could really use. Baker is the waste of a draft pick to me, not Bolton. It pretty much fixes our small forward issue immediately.

I just don't rate Bolton as high as most.

To me he is overpaid, and does not kick enough goals justify the cost.

He needs to regularly kick 40 plus to justify the cost and can't miss easy goals. I dont think he will do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back