Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it's a super draft, but I do think it's a value draft. As DragoDelph said, I look at this draft in groups.

Group 1 - picks 1 to 10
Group 2 - picks 11 to 30
Group 3 - the rest

I think the sweet spot for value is in that second round, where you could potentially get a guy you rate top 15 at pick 30. But I do think there'll also be decent players picked up late or as rookies.

My main argument is to not trade in players to line up at Peel, no Josh Corbett deals this year. And that if you're 50/50 on an uncontracted player, then to let them go and try again - don't just whack someone on the rookie list for the sake of having another year. Guys like Kuek and Stanley may have potential, but I'd be backing my scouts to find someone this year.

Really, I just want 4 or so picks across both drafts.
The previous poster said what you've referred to as group 2 as 40 players. You've gone with 30, which for me is starting become believable.

Agree with everything else in your post btw. Just an observation that someone like yourself who's watching the players and isn't necessarily building up the hype for clicks (ie the mainstream media) seems doesn't think there's twice as much good players in this draft than last year.

Most drafts aren't normally similar. They vary greatly.
I look back on previous drafts all the time and I couldn't disagree more.

There's outliers like 2001 but for the most part drafts end up producing a similar amount of good players especially once you get beyond probably about pick 25. Every year without fail we hear something that makes this year's draft better than last year's and that the next year's draft a super draft.

The previous poster said what you've referred to as group 2 as 40 players. You've gone with 30, which for me is starting become believable.

Agree with everything else in your post btw. Just an observation that someone like yourself who's watching the players and isn't necessarily building up the hype for clicks (ie the mainstream media) seems doesn't think there's twice as much good players in this draft than last year.
Did you read my disclaimer?

I have no clue, it was for illustrative purposes.

If we were able to identify 5 good players over the last 5 years, and get them to come to us then I would be delighted.

They are great at filling holes on their list with established players. You can say it is easy, but we can't do it.
Jackson - ruck/forward hole created by Lobb leaving

Sharp - Was a list need for wing

Clark - was highly rated by Geelong

Wagner - Crucial depth (granted he wasn't a trade, but still)

Brodie - was a list need but a handful have since gone past him.

I'd say apart from JHF we've probably done as well as or better than Port in this space.

Kelly wants Bolton at WC
Asking us if we’re interested in him seems a strange way to go about it. They (Kelly and Bolton) have the same manager, so I suspect once Kelly learned Bolton was freo bound he told his manager he’d like to play with him if possible. Hence the casual enquire about the chance from his manager to Freo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look back on previous drafts all the time and I couldn't disagree more.

There's outliers like 2001 but for the most part drafts end up producing a similar amount of good players especially once you get beyond probably about pick 25. Every year without fail we hear something that makes this year's draft better than last year's and that the next year's draft a super draft.

Which drafts were considered strong or deep and which were considered week or shallow and ill go have a look back out of curiosity.

Jackson - ruck/forward hole created by Lobb leaving

Sharp - Was a list need for wing

Clark - was highly rated by Geelong

Wagner - Crucial depth (granted he wasn't a trade, but still)

Brodie - was a list need but a handful have since gone past him.

I'd say apart from JHF we've probably done as well as or better than Port in this space.

I will give you the first 3, although I am not sure Jackson has justified the cost.

The extension of Brodie was a massive failure, he was just a salary dump.

I wish we would target a solid small forward, for a 2nd or 3rd round pick that we badly need.

Eagles are two years away from Bolton type deals.

They have no cake for cream to go on.

They need more midfielders, a ruck, a CHB, wingers…
With Ginbey getting booted out there and Hewett's injuries, they could.have basically one of their next proper midfield squad on the list. It's ****ing dire

I guess WC will ask themselves whether Bolton/Baker is worth more than whomever they will get at 3 plus possibly adding Graham as a free agent. Plus whatever else they can get in the second and third rounds. The article said Bolton hasn't nominated a club. Not sure if that is true or not. Not saying it will happen but it isn't out of the question for a club that isn't into complete rebuilds like we are.

Bolton is not going to WC peeps.

Ralphy boy is just generating clicks for his employer, and excitement for Richmond supporters.

There is going to be a lot of this garbage for the next few weeks.

I guess WC will ask themselves whether Bolton/Baker is worth more than whomever they will get at 3 plus possibly adding Graham as a free agent. Plus whatever else they can get in the second and third rounds. The article said Bolton hasn't nominated a club. Not sure if that is true or not. Not saying it will happen but it isn't out of the question for a club that isn't into complete rebuilds like we are.

They have no choice but a complete rebuild. They’ve been shut for three years, and it’s going to get worse with no Barrass.

Which drafts were considered strong or deep and which were considered week or shallow and ill go have a look back out of curiosity.

2019 and 2021 the strong drafts (top end at least). 2019 also has Warner, Rivers in the 30's.

2016 and 2017 are deep/even drafts and look a bit like what people are saying might happen with this draft. There's a few good picks in the top 10-15, but a lot of them turned out to be just solid players and the 15-35 range turned out better as a whole than the top 15. And still a fair number of picks after 35 that turned into good players. 2016 has Darcy, Battle, Stewart, Cox at 38-41 for example. Then Larkey, Mitch Lewis, Waterman in the 70's.

Someone else can answer the weak drafts.

You'd think he would choose us for that reason and his fathers history at the club but if he is just happy to get home, it may force a bidding war. If WC are genuinely interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back