• Chad Warner

Votes: 168 68.0%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 3.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Did anyone read the article in the west today that goes over all our uncontracted players and who we should sign on, and somehow comes to the conclusion that pretty much everyone except Taberner should get a 1 year deal at least
List management is easy if you don't have list sizes, salary caps or limited development resources.

If you went by fanbases, no-one would ever be delisted while bringing in 5 guns every year.

Don't forget the best twenty two players who would get delisted every year after wearing the blame for losses.

I don’t see it. I think he’s a bit like Chad Wingard. Largely been figured out and won’t recapture that form. He made his mark in the Dustin Martin era, the latter was unstoppable allowing a lot of free space to Bolton.

Fair enough. I don't agree with the Wingard bit though. I just don't know how he couldn't be handy crumbing at the feet of Treacy and Jackson.

I don't think it should be a kitchen sink trade and in fact except for Jackson not a single massive trade has worked in our favour. But if he wants to come here and we can get it done without compromising the chance of getting Warner then I'm there with Bolton.

I mean for me it’s not so much whether Bolton would fit in the team as much as the opportunity cost of his salary and the trade price.

The HBG guys were saying at the start of the year we should offer our 3 first round picks this year, and even then suggesting Richmond would probably say no.

If the price was more like a 1st and a 2nd I’d be far more inclined, provided it doesn’t interfere with Warner hunt and Sturt/Banners etc

Last edited:
I mean, for me it’s not so much whether Bolton would fit in the team as much as what the opportunity cost of his salary and trade price.

The HBG guys were saying that at the start of the year, we should offer our 3 first round picks this year, and even then suggesting Richmond would probably say no.

If the price was more like a 1st and a 2nd I’d be far more inclined, provided it doesn’t interfere with Warner hunt and Sturt/Banners, etc
I want us to extend Treacy, Brayshaw, and Sturt before we start looking at big fish. We need to get this done ASAP. Then we will know how much salary cap we have left. Bolton and Warner will both cost a fortune in picks, but Warner will cost like 50% more in salary. If we lock down our star players and add Bolton, I doubt anyone would complain (besides Freo Girl).

I mean for me it’s not so much whether Bolton would fit in the team as much as what the opportunity cost of his salary and trade price.

The HBG guys were saying at the start of the year we should offer our 3 first round picks this year, and even then suggesting Richmond would probably say no.

If the price was more like a 1st and a 2nd I’d be far more inclined, provided it doesn’t interfere with Warner hunt and Sturt/Banners etc
Surely Bolton, given contract length and current form, would now be in the "we're only casually asking" category. Or if he fell into a Richmond Fire Sale bin. He's not likely to go anywhere else this year and we can go about seeing what shakes out elsewhere with our picks this trade period.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hughes and Tabs will be gone.
Walters could retire, I don't think he is ready yet.
Trade a few ?
Cull some of the rookies ?
It's tight.
I'm slowly watching the ruck options across the league sign on with their clubs. I reckon they'll be interest in Reidy if that continues. We'd get **** all but it's best for him to find him a new club than delist him because we've got to bring Knobel through.

Tbh I'd want to keep everyone but Hughes, Corbett, Taberner and one of the rucks but we'll need to delist more just to take the four draft picks we have that currently all sit inside 25.

I think that Banfield, Sturt, Voss and Wagner are the genuine best 25-odd players that I'd like to keep. Tbh I think NOD probably falls in that group as well next year if we get him 100% fit. Behind those guys I really don't care all that much tbh - we won't find it all that hard to replace the remaining OOC players.

I'm not against reaching for a mature aged small forward at pick 30-ish if we keep the first round draft picks tbh.

Normally I'm against reaching but it's getting to the point where it's just about our one immediate list need.

Personally I think there's a few longer term needs 2-3 years down the track that'd be worth considering now with those first rounders if the small forwards aren't available. As much as our midfield and HBF looks okay now I'm not sure how the depth looks in three years - this board would blow up if that's what we drafted this year but the club could make much worse decisions.

Last edited:
I haven't really gone through this thread so just quickly - is Bobby Hill an option? Seems a perfect fit for what we need, would be good to have another Hill in Purple again.

Reckon that was text-book leveraging us for more money. Everyone knows we want small forwards and have picks and money. Manager of a WA player would be nuts not to use that.

I don’t understand this bit have to fit Simpson delean kuek in? They need to earn their spots. Kuek & delean are coming from a long way back, Simpson has shown glimpses but if a player like Bolton wants to come to your footy club you do everything you can to get it done. Bolton is a proven match winner. The 3 kids you have named are no where near it at this point. 2 of them haven’t even played at the level yet
He kicked 2 points yesterday and his own supporters want him gone. Yeah, such a great catch to pay overs for. If he was OOC and you got him cheaply, it’s worth having a crack, but he’s contracted.
Loved listening to Barrett etc on AFL Daily talking about how Freo is playing as a team with “no jump out of the page stand out player”.
As for Kuek, he’s been fighting to get over an injury and has looked excited prior to this.

Genuine question, if Bolton was out of contract, would a fair price for him be. He's a gun but there is a fair bit of mayo that goes with him from Tigers fans (who think all their players are incredible and not fairly rated). I'd be comfortable giving up a top 10 pick, not much more though.

I think if Richmond were open to letting him go this year (and honestly, with how he's playing...), I'd need a very firm commitment from Warner for next year to turn down slotting Baker into Switta's role. That is a massive upgrade and can easily be the difference in a flag or not...

Genuine question, if Bolton was out of contract, would a fair price for him be. He's a gun but there is a fair bit of mayo that goes with him from Tigers fans (who think all their players are incredible and not fairly rated). I'd be comfortable giving up a top 10 pick, not much more though.

I think if Richmond were open to letting him go this year (and honestly, with how he's playing...), I'd need a very firm commitment from Warner for next year to turn down slotting Baker into Switta's role. That is a massive upgrade and can easily be the difference in a flag or not...
But he’s not OOC which is why you wouldn’t reward Richmond like WCE had to do for Kelly. The Richmond board are screaming for Richmond to get rid of him, so there’s no guarantees he would be better at Freo.
After the weekend I’ve even been a bit cold on Chad, but still attracted by his age and the friendships he already has.
If we secure Chad this trade period we won’t be left with much in our hand to use at the draft.

But he’s not OOC which is why you wouldn’t reward Richmond like WCE had to do for Kelly. The Richmond board are screaming for Richmond to get rid of him, so there’s no guarantees he would be better at Freo.
After the weekend I’ve even been a bit cold on Chad, but still attracted by his age and the friendships he already has.
If we secure Chad this trade period we won’t be left with much in our hand to use at the draft.
Agree.. of course everyone wants Chad but at what price monetary and synergy

Thinking that cats game really skewed things it's like everyone was FOMO

Back