List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
100% agree - we want to be relevant for a long time
My position is slightly different to yours. Delean and Simpson are not worth considering here, it's the guys that are best 22. I also couldn't care less about prolonged success, give me a single flag first and I'll be happy for the rest of my life ( I also think it's very very difficult for us to have sustained success so happy to settle for a one off every now and then).

I don't want to lose multiple core players and get worse overall is more my point

I'm the 102nd member of Freo and am yet to be incorrect with my forecasts. I rarely dislike a player, other than Henry (but even then I felt sorry for him and was concerned about his mental health when the crowd jeered him). I felt like Henry played for Henry, and his reasons for leaving (which were probably really bravado) were why I disliked him.
There is no one in the world that is yet to be incorrect with forecasts, saying that doesn't help, almost definitely means you just have a very wide criteria for being "correct"

My position is slightly different to yours. Delean and Simpson are not worth considering here, it's the guys that are best 22. I also couldn't care less about prolonged success, give me a single flag first and I'll be happy for the rest of my life ( I also think it's very very difficult for us to have sustained success so happy to settle for a one off every now and then).

I don't want to lose multiple core players and get worse overall is more my point
Well, let's say we lose Son Son this year - he will need to be replaced. Sturt is doing a great job at the moment, and am really loving his attitude. We wouldn't have Simpson or Delean playing until next year, and they were awesome pics. If they don't feel like they will get a spot in the next couple of years, they might not have the drive to stick around.

There is no one in the world that is yet to be incorrect with forecasts, saying that doesn't help, almost definitely means you just have a very wide criteria for being "correct"
I've just been very lucky with who I've wanted, and then they magically appear eg. Modra and Tarrant. They haven't always been good ones.

You pretty much missed the response to you questioning how I would feel, and I responded. Is that all you took from my answer?

Well, let's say we lose Son Son this year - he will need to be replaced. Sturt is doing a great job at the moment, and am really loving his attitude. We wouldn't have Simpson or Delean playing until next year, and they were awesome pics. If they don't feel like they will get a spot in the next couple of years, they might not have the drive to stick around.
I think we all broadly agree, but I guess my philosophy would be if they're good enough, they'll get in. And you need drive to succeed at elite sport, not being able to get a game in your first couple of years would be a poor reason unless you're smashing the door down.
And while there has to be line of sight to some opportunity it's a good thing if those opportunities are hard to come by because the level of the team is very high.

It wouldn't have surprised me if Draper and Davies only played a handful of games between them all year, or none, but look what happened.
Erasmus is probably the one in the hardest position and is most at risk, but at the same time list management is in the interests of the club, not any one individual.

I think we all broadly agree, but I guess my philosophy would be if they're good enough, they'll get in. And you need drive to succeed at elite sport, not being able to get a game in your first couple of years would be a poor reason unless you're smashing the door down.
And while there has to be line of sight to some opportunity it's a good thing if those opportunities are hard to come by because the level of the team is very high.

It wouldn't have surprised me if Draper and Davies only played a handful of games between them all year, or none, but look what happened.
Erasmus is probably the one in the hardest position and is most at risk, but at the same time list management is in the interests of the club, not any one individual.
I forgot about Erasmus - he is in no man's land. Agree with you about Draper and Davies sharing game time, which is a luxury so many other clubs don't have with their younger ones.

I've just been very lucky with who I've wanted, and then they magically appear eg. Modra and Tarrant. They haven't always been good ones.

You pretty much missed the response to you questioning how I would feel, and I responded. Is that all you took from my answer?
I'm not going to take much from you're response when it starts off with basically "I've never been wrong"

Then we replace them, it is what it is. If they aren't good enough to force their way in, that's on them (and I love Simpson). It particularly isn't as important given where they were picked.

I'm the 102nd member of Freo and am yet to be incorrect with my forecasts. I rarely dislike a player, other than Henry (but even then I felt sorry for him and was concerned about his mental health when the crowd jeered him). I felt like Henry played for Henry, and his reasons for leaving (which were probably really bravado) were why I disliked him.
You are meant to only think things like this, not commit them to print.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah that's bringing back memories of another person, whatever happened to Mr I'm Never Wrong?
I'm waiting for Treacy to kick 40 before I ping him for saying Treacy will never get near 40 goals in his career

Then we replace them, it is what it is. If they aren't good enough to force their way in, that's on them (and I love Simpson). It particularly isn't as important given where they were picked.
It just feels a bit like we could get lured into a Tim Kelly move where the only winner was Geelong. Now WCEs are left with Kelly and...

It just feels a bit like we could get lured into a Tim Kelly move where the only winner was Geelong. Now WCEs are left with Kelly and...
And to be clear, we are just having a chat here so it's all good to have friendly disagreement. I think very different circumstances to that trade. I am worried like you about losing goof players because of paging someone exorbitant amounts of money.

I maintain that worst comes to worst, losing Darcy in a few years could be a pretty good solution if needed

And to be clear, we are just having a chat here so it's all good to have friendly disagreement. I think very different circumstances to that trade. I am worried like you about losing goof players because of paging someone exorbitant amounts of money.

I maintain that worst comes to worst, losing Darcy in a few years could be a pretty good solution if needed
I'm being distracted by the delicious game going on between Saints and Port

I can see us having legitimate cap space for a big name and player retention. We've been down since 2016 with few to pay between 2018 and 2022. If we were banking that and front loading the young guns (Andy, Serong etc) we should have space. We've only brought in 1 big salary. Carlton have traded in about 5 blokes on above average wages (Saad, Williams, Gov, Cerra, someone else maybe?) over their build and can keep their much more celebrated list together.

Add to that we lose lots of players and replace them mostly at draft or with fringe players.

Suspect we'll lose somebody if we have some success (all good teams do), but not concerned in the short-medium term.

I am starting to get a little bit torn, I absolutely love this list and maybe I overrate it but I see so much young talent everywhere that I worry the cap cost of Warner or Bolton. I suppose I'll just back the club in there and back Walls to keep hitting gold in the draft to replace whoever we lose.

Losing any of our core players ( and I'm close to putting Sturt and Johnson in that group) is non-negotiable

Welcome aboard the train. Let's take the picks to the draft :p:p:p:p

Kako, Berry and someone else would be brilliant. Maybe Christian Moraes

Welcome aboard the train. Let's take the picks to the draft :p:p:p:p

Kako, Berry and someone else would be brilliant. Maybe Christian Moraes
Haha, I don't like spending them all that at the draft when there is no one at WA that screams a need and I want top picks to have a chance of getting a game so we don't lose them.

While I reserve the right to change my mind every week I'll say my thinking would currently be to go after players but do not try to compete with WC financially, join us because we are as enticing a place to play footy as anywhere the next 5 years, not because we are desperate and offering them the world.

I am prepared to wait on Warner and move our latest first to next year. I am prepared to only get Baker if we are losing Switta

Out side of Smilie & O’Sullivan there’s nobody there I think really moves the needle and comes close to cracking B22.
I’d use one pick on Berry, stash him and go find a ready made.
The idea of trading into next year is ridiculous. Look at the state of the ladder… Who would seriously take that on. Also the chance Chad sighs on we’ve stalled a years worth of development into our “picks”

Out side of Smilie & O’Sullivan there’s nobody there I think really moves the needle and comes close to cracking B22.
I’d use one pick on Berry, stash him and go find a ready made.
The idea of trading into next year is ridiculous. Look at the state of the ladder… Who would seriously take that on. Also the chance Chad sighs on we’ve stalled a years worth of development into our “picks”
Guarantee you someone takes it on, just like Port and Pies took it on last year. Plenty of clubs will be bullish and most will be wrong. Port took it on for Esava and Soldo. If that's not an indication of the risk appetite I don't know what is.

Snuffaluphagus is right, if we take 3 first rounders the odds are at least 2 are stuck at Peel and 1 or more request a trade for opportunity in a couple of years. Especially if they are Vics and have multiple offers.

I wouldn't take more than 3 top 30 picks this year and realistically, I think 2 is probably better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back