• Chad Warner

Votes: 169 67.3%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 10 4.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

An exercise for those interested on player salaries..

In the list of AFL players ranked by salary, the guy right in the middle made around $400,000 last season.

So assuming all clubs are distributed along the salary range the same, half your playing group needs to be earning under that, by averages. Does Banfield sit in that upper half and if so, how far up that list he is?

Over the next 3 years, I see him between 20th to 25th on our list.

I think the club would value him higher than me, as I am sure he does a lot of unselfish things.

400k for 3 years would be perfect.

St Kilda offering $750k+ for Stengle being turned down, I wonder if they are going to throw big money at Banfield - the next unrestricted free agent forward on the list.
No one will be offering Banfield big money. He's a role player. A role player I want to keep but a role player and not a gun like Stengle.

I bloody hope not

We have too big an opportunity to nail some talent that will fall to our picks with long term value
We have hit the draft hard for 5 years and have the best crop of 23 and unders in the league. We won't hit the draft hard this year and will use most of them on trades.

We have hit the draft hard for 5 years and have the best crop of 23 and unders in the league. We won't hit the draft hard this year and will use most of them on trades.

That's fine with me if we nail the best players available not guys who underperform for other clubs in the hope they actually come good.

The fourth year contract of a rookie is better than $275k, he will get closer to $400k.
Banfield would be on something like 220k right now

Every club has these fringe players that are on below the average AFL wage, the median wage will be lower than some people think

It's still great money with lots of perks

You gotta remember banners is off the rookie list and has been a fringe/depth player his whole career

Is the actual median AFL salary released anywhere? I know the average for 2023 was 440ish, and you'd assume the median is quite a way unders that. Keeping in mind the TPP jumping up quite a bit going forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They can definitely do a $1.2m 3 year deal and front load like $600k in the first year. That works out to $300k in year two and three.
I'd be stunned if banners saw that kind of money

We can't afford to pay our fringe players that money if we want to keep Andy and get the Chad

The club has a track record of "underpaying" these kind of role players too, I'd be shocked if we change our tactics now

We can't afford to pay our fringe players that money if we want to keep Andy and get the Chad

The club has a track record of "underpaying" these kind of role players too, I'd be shocked if we change our tactics now
We have money for Baker and Warner, we can afford to pay Banners. $300k isn't even that much.

Martin isn't really a small forward. He's a lead up forward who is good overhead, similar to Sturt. You'd have both Banfield and Sturt well ahead of him, even if Martin could stay on the field (which he can't).

Hard pass unless he's delisted, we miraculously have a spare list spot and can pick him up for free.
Why wait 15 years to make such a solid first post.

Historically the club has actually had a track record of overpaying these players, we tried to overcompensate the last few years by starting to underpay some of them and a few of them left because of it

Historically the club has actually had a track record of overpaying these players, we tried to overcompensate the last few years by starting to underpay some of them and a few of them left because of it
I'm talking David Walls era, so recent period

He has a plan and is sticking to it

Only if we are legit interested in them. I get wanting to spite Carlton but you run the risk of wasting a top pick on a player you don't want if they choose not to match.

Yeah it is more for the situation where they're sitting there already having traded down to a bunch of second rounders and it makes no sense for them not to match ala Henry.

In more good news for us tyson stengle has resigned. Why I thnk its good news is it looks likely there will no Band 1 trade compensation for free agents this year to push our 3 first rounders back.English is the only one who could possibly get a Band 1 compensation but he doesnt appear likely to leave now either.

as Tonga Bob announced in another thread, Banners has been offered a contract - he's probably more motivated by the length of the contract than the $$$? although, nobody wants to be insulted
Yes this. He is from a wealthy WA family. He is uni' educated. Money may be secondary to opportunity and success. He is best 22 in a side on the verge of multiple flags. He loves WA. He loves Freo. He is home. This is a win for him and for the club.

Back