Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Futbolista I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Lucas Robinson. Clearly he is a great inside mid. U16 WA MVP and AA selection. He is shaping as a top 10 pick in 2026 at the moment. Even better than that though is that he is eligible for the Fremantle NGA.

Given we have a glut of inside mids I was wondering what traits you think he has that would differentiate himself from an Erasmus, Johnson, Serong etc. What are his skills like?

Thanks

Last edited:
yeah fair, but think equally if we give him 2 years I’d be surprised if he wasn’t doing a ring around after that to try and get a more regular gig
I hope we don't do that, trust Walls and all but Voss on 4 years is a no brainer IMO

That list looks extremely grim for Worner, Delean, McDonald, Aish and Ras (good for freo_leo29 though).
certainly would be keeping Aish’s name post 2025 in pencil instead of pen seeing he’s already been somewhat pushed out

Hi Futbolista I'm wondering what your thoughts are on Lucas Robinson. Clearly he is a great inside mid. U16 WA MVP and AA selection. He is shaping as a top 10 pick in 2026 at the moment. Even better than that though is that he is eligible for the Fremantle NGA.

Given we have a glut of inside mids I was wondering what traits you think he has that would differentiate himself from an Erasmus, Johnson, Serong etc. What are his skills like?

Thanks
Robinson is way more combative than Johnson. Don't get me wrong I like Johnson.

Robinson has a bit of extra vigour and agression and he can play occasionally as a tall. Johnson was never that kind of player. He was always a tall mid.

Do Fremantle need Robinson? Probably not. He will already be drafted by the time Freo have their first pick.

If he’s playing in a prelim final team last year when fit, he’s getting pretty close to being in freo team…

Freo need forward talent now. Draft another kid then wait 2 years?
Martin was ok in that game a year ago but nothing outstanding. He's going to be 2 years older and having spent most of those 2 years injured, struggling to train or build any fitness. He will be slower and have less of that power off the mark, agility and speed. Comparing that single performance to what he would be displaying in 2025 is not a like for like.

Alternately, yes. I would draft a Berry and expect him to perform on at least a similar level to Martin at 31 and broken, if not much better. I also think Simpson off a proper pre-season would be ahead of him in the pecking order while I'd like to see other kids like Delean or anyone else we draft and trade in given an opportunity.

We also have semi solved some of our small forward issues by playing our midfielders as forwards since the bye. They are contributing well on the scoreboard and our forwardline has been putting up some good scores. It can improve but Martin is not the player that will do that. We're far better off using that list spot on someone else who can. That and I think Sonny is more value to the side anyway, even just as a wise old head helping his teammates (although I still think he oozes talent).

Hey whoa yeh nah I just got here and I might be a fifth generation country bumpkin that washes my grandmothers amazing lamb roast down with an export but I’m fairly confident when I say that I know my way around a good burger…. FWIW a good burger joint beats both HJ’s and Maccas hands down but if you put a Whopper with Cheese in the ring with a Big Mac I’m fairly sure the Whopper with Cheese would smack the Big Mac so hard it wouldn’t sit down for a week!
Anyway from the comfort of my armchair watching the women’s beach volleyball I can say that it seems like we’re into both Warner AND Bolton, I can’t see the list management team chasing both at this point without being reasonably confident of landing both. It also seems like the current list we have is genuinely invested in achieving the ultimate goal together and as such I wouldn’t put it past the vast majority of them taking less of a pay packet to aid in accomplishing that goal. Fairly sure almost everyone bar Baeshaw has been signed up prior to the new wages agreement between the AFLPA and the AFL? That tells me we’ve left some in the bank for chasing the big fishes.
Anyway like I said just my 2c. I’m off back to my export and the sand with the Eiffel Tower in the background. 🤙

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who cares about the burgers, just tell me what Chanel the women's beach volleyball is on 🤣

Martin was ok in that game a year ago but nothing outstanding. He's going to be 2 years older and having spent most of those 2 years injured, struggling to train or build any fitness. He will be slower and have less of that power off the mark, agility and speed. Comparing that single performance to what he would be displaying in 2025 is not a like for like.

Alternately, yes. I would draft a Berry and expect him to perform on at least a similar level to Martin at 31 and broken, if not much better. I also think Simpson off a proper pre-season would be ahead of him in the pecking order while I'd like to see other kids like Delean or anyone else we draft and trade in given an opportunity.

We also have semi solved some of our small forward issues by playing our midfielders as forwards since the bye. They are contributing well on the scoreboard and our forwardline has been putting up some good scores. It can improve but Martin is not the player that will do that. We're far better off using that list spot on someone else who can.
If freo are going for Bolton and or Warner they won’t have the draft capital to get Berry. They’ll either way over pay to get one of them this year or trade into future. After seeing what Watson has done this year wouldn’t surprise if Berry ends up getting drafted before freo first pick anyway.

Think Simpson & delean (who I rate) are probably 2-3 years away still.

If freo get Martin they would back themselves in to get his body right for 1-2 years while those young lads develop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 years ago yep Who knows could have been the next Buddy Franklin at freo… look what freo have turned treacy into!

I also said sharp would be a steal last year!

Can’t win them all
I also said we should get Sharp as well but I too have made mistakes.

I feel I'm usually on the positive side of bringing opposition players to the club but there's been times I've been dead against it. I can remember of arguing both ways on bringing in opposition players. Some people don't rate opposition players enough, others seem to think bringing any opposition player in who once played a good game at AFL level is a good idea.

I don't think I've ever seen you be against bringing in an opposition player but obviously don't remember everything you've posted. I think Schache is one of the biggest spuds I've seen at AFL level despite being a high pick. If you wanted him how bad does an opposition player need to be for you to not want them on our list?

Oh and btw, Martin is a much better idea than Schache but I still don't think he's a better fit for our list than pick 25-30 in this year's draft - genuinely think that's what we're looking at given the state of our list currently. There's no way that's what the trade would be obviously.

Robinson is way more combative than Johnson. Don't get me wrong I like Johnson.

Robinson has a bit of extra vigour and agression and he can play occasionally as a tall. Johnson was never that kind of player. He was always a tall mid.

Do Fremantle need Robinson? Probably not. He will already be drafted by the time Freo have their first pick.
I agree his type is not exactly a list need. Seems like he may be eligible as an NGA selection which would be hard to pass up if the matching criteria are relaxed.

Ruck Rover: Lucas Robinson - South Fremantle/Lake Grace Pingrup
Date of Birth: 13/02/08.
Height: 188cm
Hard-edged midfielder who thrived in the contest, winning contested ball and dominating stoppages.
Athletic and a good decision-maker, he used his strength, power, game sense and ball-winning ability to constantly drive his team forward.
Took out Western Australia’s MVP as well as being runner-up in the Pool A best and fairest.
He averaged 24.7 disposals (18 contested) 5.3 marks, 6.0 tackles and 8.7 clearances.
Hails from Zimbabwean background and is eligible to Fremantle under NGA rules.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I also said we should get Sharp as well but I too have made mistakes.

I feel I'm usually on the positive side of bringing opposition players to the club but there's been times I've been dead against it. I can remember of arguing both ways on bringing in opposition players. Some people don't rate opposition players enough, others seem to think bringing any opposition player in who once played a good game at AFL level is a good idea.

I don't think I've ever seen you be against bringing in an opposition player but obviously don't remember everything you've posted. I think Schache is one of the biggest spuds I've seen at AFL level despite being a high pick. If you wanted him how bad does an opposition player need to be for you to not want them on our list?

Oh and btw, Martin is a much better idea than Schache but I still don't think he's a better fit for our list than pick 25-30 in this year's draft - genuinely think that's what we're looking at given the state of our list currently. There's no way that's what the trade would be obviously.
At the time I posted about schache he’d kick 21 goals in 4 games in the VFL for the dogs… freo were crying out for a key forward. He wouldn’t have cost much. As I said who knows freo could have untapped his potential.

It’s not always going to work out.

As for Martin, Freo’s best trading beside Jackson & Clark has been bang for buck trades & recruiting with AFL experience. Aish Sharp Wagner and to a lesser extent Voss.

Just think if freo can’t get Bolton or Warner this year, I don’t mind Martin as a back up plan. Freo have got Chapman body right why can’t they get Martin’s?

I agree his type is not exactly a list need. Seems like he may be eligible as an NGA selection which would be hard to pass up if the matching criteria are relaxed.

Hard-edged midfielder who thrived in the contest, winning contested ball and dominating stoppages.
Athletic and a good decision-maker, he used his strength, power, game sense and ball-winning ability to constantly drive his team forward.
Took out Western Australia’s MVP as well as being runner-up in the Pool A best and fairest.
He averaged 24.7 disposals (18 contested) 5.3 marks, 6.0 tackles and 8.7 clearances.

188cm at 16...

Start the ****ing car

We don't have the list space to take an over paid, injury prone player who does not deliver.

He plays about 50% of games each year.
Averages about 1 goal a game, 2 to 2.5 tackles per game and 10 possessions.

He is not an upgrade on Sturt or Banfield.
But he's never had Phil Merriman looking after him. Look at the difference him and his S&C team have made for us.

An example of list management elsewhere. The darkness by which the light of our own is seen and allows measure.
Mind Blown GIF

Holy crap. Looks a beast

Also Lake Grace eh? We had another decent player from down that way i think :cool:

Last edited:
Holy crap. Looks a beast

Also Lake Grace eh? We had another decent player from down that way i think :cool:
I know that Freo will be on to this.

But does Freo know about this kid.
Someone tell the academy bosses just in case they have had a slip up.
😜

At the time I posted about schache he’d kick 21 goals in 4 games in the VFL for the dogs… freo were crying out for a key forward. He wouldn’t have cost much. As I said who knows freo could have untapped his potential.

It’s not always going to work out.

As for Martin, Freo’s best trading beside Jackson & Clark has been bang for buck trades & recruiting with AFL experience. Aish Sharp Wagner and to a lesser extent Voss.

Just think if freo can’t get Bolton or Warner this year, I don’t mind Martin as a back up plan. Freo have got Chapman body right why can’t they get Martin’s?
FFS - a plank of wood is about as useful as Schache has been at AFL level. That was obvious even back then.

Don't even try to make us believe it made sense back then. It's something you just own up to and move on.

Think he is good depth tbh

If he gets an offer elsewhere then you let him go otherwise you sign him on chips

Kinda like what willo would've been on last year
yeah 100% agreed - wouldn’t be shocked if someone in a similar position to us in late 2019 brings him in

If we don’t get Bolton, Martin is a good stop gap. Would be an SSP if he can prove fitness though.

8 games each out of him, walters and Simpson/delean. Whoever is fittest plays finals.

Maybe the club has their eyes on someone to bring in in a couple of years, and we just need cover until
Then? Who knows.

But agreed, if Bolton comes in, no need for Martin.

Have to sign Voss on for a few years.
Get him to sign, with the promise that we’ll look after him another club comes along. At least in contract we can extract some value.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back