Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Baker for me is also a yes if we can get him.

At the end of the day, everyone’s Gonna have an opinion of who the last 6 picked are. Those last 6 players make a big diff if they’re decent players.

If baker is better than any of the last 6 we have now (he is) then getting him is a good thing. Upgrade on Aish, Wagner, Walker, Omeara, Walters/Emmett, banfield and Sturt (and I like many of those players).
Arguably Fyfe too. Tho diff roles.

Baker for me is also a yes if we can get him.

At the end of the day, everyone’s Gonna have an opinion of who the last 6 picked are. Those last 6 players make a big diff if they’re decent players.

If baker is better than any of the last 6 we have now (he is) then getting him is a good thing. Upgrade on Aish, Wagner, Walker, Omeara, Walters/Emmett, banfield and Sturt (and I like many of those players).
Arguably Fyfe too. Tho diff roles.
Baker won't be in the last few picked if he's at Freo next year. If he is the team will barely be changing apart from injuries and without heaps of injuries we'll be top four minimum.

He's much better than a bottom six player. He's not a structural player but he's a very good user and smart footballer that'll make everyone else look better.

Baker won't be in the last few picked if he's at Freo next year. If he is the team will barely be changing apart from injuries and without heaps of injuries we'll be top four minimum.

He's much better than a bottom six player. He's not a structural player but he's a very good user and smart footballer they'll make everyone else look better.

Yes I agree. I’m saying he’s an upgrade on players in our bottom 6 - not that he’s a bottom 6

Everyone just keep in mind that the current best two draft picks were bought with Schultz and two picks in the 30s.

So whatever we do with two first round picks, the end result is Schultz and 2x picks in the 30s for that outcome.
We also got pick 38 with Schultz. So it's more like Schultz and a pick in the 30s, plus a small downgrade.

Yes I agree. I’m saying he’s an upgrade on players in our bottom 6 - not that he’s a bottom 6
Also think the player/s he'd make bottom six are too good to be there as well.

It's a bit different to 2013. Not sure we have the genuine star power of Pav, McPharlin and Sandilands as talls (our current talls are good but not that good) but we had like a bottom ten back then consisting of good role players but also guys that also had no business playing in a Grand Final.

Also think the player/s he'd make bottom six are too good to be there as well.

It's a bit different to 2013. Not sure we have the genuine star power of Pav, McPharlin and Sandilands as talls (our current talls are good but not that good) but we had like a bottom ten back then consisting of good role players but also guys that also had no business playing in a Grand Final.
Agree with this. Much more even team. We had distinct top end and bottom end back then.

Still, early days for the KPFs and they don't have to be as good as Pav to be good enough because we have 3 instead of 1 this time.

He's much better than a bottom six player. He's not a structural player but he's a very good user and smart footballer that'll make everyone else look better.

I don't think he is that much better than a bottom 6 player in a good side.

Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Clark, Chapman (projected).
Darcy, Serong, Young, Brayshaw, Johnson (projected).
Amiss, Jackson, Treacy, Bolton.

That would put him in at 15th, which is on the cusp of bottom 6. And there are players like Sturt, Freddy, Walker, Switta, Sharp who Baker might be "better" than, but they bring athletic attributes (speed and/or height) which make them more valuable to our team balance than Baker. You can throw Chapman and Johnson into this category if you strike out the "projected" part above.

So I personally see him as being one of the last few picked. I think he is an Aish level player, and Aish has found himself in a borderline position in the side.

And that's all fine if we bring someone in to prop up the bottom 6-10 of our team. But the real issue is how much we would be paying him. We have bigger fish to fry, and bringing in Baker makes it very difficult to manage our salary cap. It's a firm no for me, I'm really hoping there is some Graham + Baker package deal to WC.

That would put him in at 15th, which is on the cusp of bottom 6. And there are players like Sturt, Freddy, Walker, Switta, Sharp who Baker might be "better" than, but they bring athletic attributes (speed and/or height) which make them more valuable to our team balance than Baker. You can throw Chapman and Johnson into this category if you strike out the "projected" part above.

So I personally see him as being one of the last few picked. I think he is an Aish level player, and Aish has found himself in a borderline position in the side.

And that's all fine if we bring someone in to prop up the bottom 6-10 of our team. But the real issue is how much we would be paying him. We have bigger fish to fry, and bringing in Baker makes it very difficult to manage our salary cap. It's a firm no for me, I'm really hoping there is some Graham + Baker package deal to WC.
Yes. And probably worth mentioning that we have players like Simpson, Erasmus and O'Driscoll who we could legitimately expect to have a shot at selection after another preseason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's hard to celebrate JT signing on until 2030 when we are pushing for players from other clubs to disregard their contracts. I think contracts just mean other clubs have to end up paying more, but it's the lack of respect for contracts that I find scary.

At least JT got it tattooed on his arm :)
Don't believe everything you see on the internet

So it looks like Bolton is coming. Yay! Banfield would be worried as I imagine that is his position that Bolton will be taking.

I knew the 2025 cup was ours but I couldn't forsee who the Norm Smith would be. Now it makes sense. The final piece is coming together.

btw: is it wrong to vote on the Richmond trade thread to trade Bolton out?

At risk of being quoted five years from now, I am wary of this Shai Bolton celebration. Seems the kind to come home and take it easy.
If he was that kind you’d think he’d be taking it easy this year while they’ve been shit. He’s on track to have his second best year in terms of goals now. Anyway, we could build incentives into his contract.

We need that stickied poll up top ☝️ updated. McDonald has re-signed and Curnow is a joke. Let's get serious. We have 4 realistic possibilities in Baker, Bolton, Warner and Heppell.
U Know Flirt GIF by Wimbledon

you would think if Bolton wanted to take it easy, he would choose not to move states and stay high paid at Richmond where there will be no expectations on him and given the lack of other talent, could command a mill + for showing up and kicking a couple of goals a week in a losing side.

You know thinking about it the way to make this work for everyone is to get a third club involved that really need the cap space.
You think? I reckon if we have sights set on Bolton and Warner there won't be too many other clubs that value cap space as much as us

I agree that Baker is a not a higher priority than others, but some of the discourse about Baker on here I just dont understand.

Baker has finished top 6 in the B&F 4 years in a row. The year before that he only played 19 games in his first 'full' season.

Here are his seasons finishes with the clubs win-loss record:

2020 - 6th (15-1-4) 22yo
2021 - 2nd (9-1-12) 23yo
2022 - 4th (13-1-9) 24yo
2023 - 6th (10-1-2) 25yo

Baker doesn't have the athletic traits but he is the ultimate 'winning' player. Playing for a 2 win team this year has been tough. He's a competitor that wins 1-on-1 contests, plays with our trademark desparation and uses the footy well. He might not look like a top 15 player on paper but I'd be pretty confident he'd end up top 10 in our b&f if he was here. Theres a reason clubs love him and fans don't seem to rate him.

Ryan Daniels has said a couple times the money is 'only' 600k. Is Warner + bolton really an option?

I must laugh at any suggestions Baker isn’t an upgrade on nearly all of our front half smalls.

Banfield, Switta, Frederick, Sturt, Walters, Emmett

Come on guys. He’s ahead of all of these.

Depending on how we view him he would be an upgrade on some backs like: Walker, Wagner and Aish.

I get people want to see some of our other youngsters break into the side, but Simpson, Erasmus etc are clearly behind.

Bolton and Baker make us better. One of them makes us better.

Agree with all that it’s about the cost, opportunity cost etc.

But if they chose Freo and if get the trade done. We’re a better side, create greater depth etc.

I must laugh at any suggestions Baker isn’t an upgrade on nearly all of our front half smalls.

Banfield, Switta, Frederick, Sturt, Walters, Emmett

Come on guys. He’s ahead of all of these.

Depending on how we view him he would be an upgrade on some backs like: Walker, Wagner and Aish.

I get people want to see some of our other youngsters break into the side, but Simpson, Erasmus etc are clearly behind.

Bolton and Baker make us better. One of them makes us better.

Agree with all that it’s about the cost, opportunity cost etc.

But if they chose Freo and if get the trade done. We’re a better side, create greater depth etc.
That's a dreadful take. He's a totally different player to almost all of those forwards and only comparable to maybe Aish and Wagner in the backline.

Baker is not in anyway worth missing on Chad. Chad is better and younger.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back