Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Family reasons, and having a second child away from home is genuine family reasons, should mean he can accept a smaller contract at Freo - which would do well in the media too from Richmond's point of view.

Leaving to Fremantle for a pay rise and claiming family reasons would be poor form.

I must laugh at any suggestions Baker isn’t an upgrade on nearly all of our front half smalls.

Banfield, Switta, Frederick, Sturt, Walters, Emmett

Come on guys. He’s ahead of all of these.

Depending on how we view him he would be an upgrade on some backs like: Walker, Wagner and Aish.

I get people want to see some of our other youngsters break into the side, but Simpson, Erasmus etc are clearly behind.

Bolton and Baker make us better. One of them makes us better.

Agree with all that it’s about the cost, opportunity cost etc.

But if they chose Freo and if get the trade done. We’re a better side, create greater depth etc.
Yeah think you've missed the train completely here and actually fell off the platform..

Agree but the fact they will lose baker dusty graham plus Rioli and Bolton wanting out will they want to lose all 5?

Dusty and Graham are free agents and Bolton is the one with the family reasons to want to move. So I'd be more worried if I were GC trying to pry out Rioli.

I must laugh at any suggestions Baker isn’t an upgrade on nearly all of our front half smalls.

Banfield, Switta, Frederick, Sturt, Walters, Emmett

Come on guys. He’s ahead of all of these.

Depending on how we view him he would be an upgrade on some backs like: Walker, Wagner and Aish.

I get people want to see some of our other youngsters break into the side, but Simpson, Erasmus etc are clearly behind.

Bolton and Baker make us better. One of them makes us better.

Agree with all that it’s about the cost, opportunity cost etc.

But if they chose Freo and if get the trade done. We’re a better side, create greater depth etc.
I'm not sure he's much better than Freddy and Switta at their specific roles. Particularly he doesn't have the pace of Freddy and I think Switta is pretty comparable really. Baker better elsewhere and would be an upgrade on Wagner and Banfield.

If you are adding Bolton to that front half presumably taking Banfields role, is it worth spending 600k and a pick around 20 (at minimum) to slightly upgrade Switta or Wagner? I don't think it is

If there were a draft and no salary cap Liam Baker isn't someone who finds himself without a spot on a list, and I'm happy to have him on our list because I think he is tidy and moves the ball on. He is reliable. Very similar to James Aish when we got him.

A team full of Aish and Baker would be really hard to play against with the superstars needing to dominate their positions to get above the clean grind from the Aish/Baker.

I'd be happy to have him, but I think we have the meat on the plate already - we should look to add some more custard tarts on the kitchen bench for after.

Bolton deal is longer and he’s younger, don’t think will be straight forward

I think of all the "family reasons" to involve Fremantle, Bolton wanting to come TO Freo would be the biggest family reasons reason since Joel Hamling.

So I expect his manager to have him talking to trade radio about how a second baby is going to be really difficult away from family support. The leverage game from Bolton will have much more potential than Rioli seeking bucks at GC.

We are due to get a win here on this stuff.

What is Bolton alone realistically worth? AA in 2022. 3rd in BnF last year. 1.9 goals/game in his best year 2022, but that average has dipped to 1.4-1.5 over the last 2 years. In fact all of his stats seem to have just dipped a touch this year. Obviously very talented and a matchwinner on his day but those days are few and far between, and he seems to be quite inconsistent.

It feels like one of those trades where 'fair' is going to be hard to find for both parties because Richmond want him and value him and he's contracted, and will want a kings ransom due to that which we won't want to pay. Hopefully Collingwood keep stinking it up and give us pick 6-7 as a good starting point. IMO pick 7 + the early St Kilda 2nd (23ish) is a fair price but I'm sure Richmond would laugh at that. They'll want all three firsts no doubt which is ridiculous overs. I wonder if two firsts, being pick 7 + 14-16ish (hopefully 18) would end up being fair.

Bolton deal is longer and he’s younger, don’t think will be straight forward
Per Richmond fans as well, Rioli is supposedly the better leader. IF they force one to stay, it SHOULD be Rioli but we'll see. I again cant see any reasonable argument for them forcing Bolton to stay there short of Freo being flogs with currency offered, which we all know, we wont be.

What is Bolton alone realistically worth? AA in 2022. 3rd in BnF last year. 1.9 goals/game in his best year 2022, but that average has dipped to 1.4-1.5 over the last 2 years. In fact all of his stats seem to have just dipped a touch this year. Obviously very talented and a matchwinner on his day but seems to be quite inconsistent, and those days are few and far between.

It feels like one of those trades where 'fair' is going to be hard to find for both parties because Richmond want him and value him and he's contracted, and will want a kings ransom due to that which we won't want to pay. Hopefully Collingwood keep stinking it up and give us pick 6-7 as a good starting point. IMO pick 7 + our early 2nd (23ish) is a fair price but I'm sure Richmond would laugh at that. They'll want all three firsts no doubt which is ridiculous overs. I wonder if two firsts, being pick 7 + 14-16ish (hopefully 18) would end up being fair.
OOC probably 5-8 + mid/late 2nd or equivalent

1 year left - 5-8 + late first but we get a 2nd back

2+ years 5-8 + late first + a sweetener

That's my guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we get Bolton I feel like our team will have enough A graders that I’d rather spend 600k each on upgrading our bottom 3 players then getting Warner and say playing Emmett and Banfield or aish

Would it be worth paying 1.2m a year for a player to be our 4th best midfielder and having players like Emmett banfield be inconsistent and not sure which one will show up or
Have Matt Johnson be our 4th mid get blokes like baker Cummings rivers for example to upgrade on the bottom 3-4 players

Question is do you trust Banfield Emmett Walker Sturt on grand final day I’m not sure the answer is yes
Do I trust baker grand final day yes I do he’s a leader he’s got some mongrel and he’s played well on that before

I think we'd live with the 2+ years deal in the end, but not sure Richmond will. Could get ugly at trade time
It will be the best two firsts, I'd almost guarantee it. That's enough that most Freo fans will be pretty annoyed, reasonable Richmond fans know it's a good deal and Richmond nuffies scream how they should have gotten everything or kept him.

Question will be what pick we get back late and/or how much cap is chucked in. I actually think there's more risk of it being slightly more than that then anything less

If we get Bolton I feel like our team will have enough A graders that I’d rather spend 600k each on upgrading our bottom 3 players then getting Warner and say playing Emmett and Banfield or aish

Would it be worth paying 1.2m a year for a player to be our 4th best midfielder and having players like Emmett banfield be inconsistent and not sure which one will show up or
Have Matt Johnson be our 4th mid get blokes like baker Cummings rivers for example to upgrade on the bottom 3-4 players

Question is do you trust Banfield Emmett Walker Sturt on grand final day I’m not sure the answer is yes
Do I trust baker grand final day yes I do he’s a leader he’s got some mongrel and he’s played well on that before
Emmett should not be in that group, the others, yes. They are perfectly good role players in an elite side

I think we'd live with the 2+ years deal in the end, but not sure Richmond will. Could get ugly at trade time
It's perfectly fair really. It would be up there with the biggest trade hauls (of known value) ever. While he's very good, we're not talking about Judd, Fyfe etc here.

Bolton is clearly forcing the issue from his end. The leverage we have is that it is very unlikely we have this much capital for some time. So they can absolutely play hard ball as is their right, but it looks very likely he's going at some point so I suspect they'll take the best we offer this year and run.

The problem is, you pay overs for those players when you bring them in. Someone like Cumming would probably cost 700k a year. If had to guess, Banners is probably on 350k. Cumming is better, but he's not twice as good.

I still think our bottom end is as good as their is in the league. I want more A graders.

The problem is, you pay overs for those players when you bring them in. Someone like Cumming would probably cost 700k a year. If had to guess, Banners is probably on 350k. Cumming is better, but he's not twice as good.

I still think our bottom end is as good as there is in the league. I want more A graders
Yeah and I get that 100% might not be twice the player of Banfield but his trust levels would be 5x and I think that’s worth paying that. As good as Banfield has been his worst is deplorable and costs us dearly and if that happens in finals could easily cost us a game

I'm not sure he's much better than Freddy and Switta at their specific roles. Particularly he doesn't have the pace of Freddy and I think Switta is pretty comparable really. Baker better elsewhere and would be an upgrade on Wagner and Banfield.

If you are adding Bolton to that front half presumably taking Banfields role, is it worth spending 600k and a pick around 20 (at minimum) to slightly upgrade Switta or Wagner? I don't think it is

I understand it’s about cost and opportunity cost.

But

In an old school, school yard picking for teams who are you picking first out of:

Baker, Banfield, Emmett, Walters, Sturt, Frederick, Switta, Aish, Wagner, Walker, Erasmus, Brodie, Simpson?

If Baker isn’t in the top 3 then I don’t know football.

Seeing as everyone likes to bang on about how he barely fits in our bottom 6. Let’s reverse the question.

Who from that list is finishing top 6 in Richmond’s B&F 4 years in a row???

In an old school, school yard picking for teams who are you picking first out of:

Baker, Banfield, Emmett, Walters, Sturt, Frederick, Switta, Aish, Wagner, Walker, Erasmus, Brodie, Simpson?
Banfield! You always pick the rich kid so you get invited to swim in his pool.

I understand it’s about cost and opportunity cost.

But

If Baker isn’t in the top 3 then I don’t know football.

Seeing as everyone likes to bang on about how he barely fits in our bottom 6. Let’s reverse the question.

Who from that list is finishing top 6 in Richmond’s B&F 4 years in a row???
I 100% agree that he is a better all round player than all those players and anyone arguing he's not upgrade overall is wrong though I still think I'd rather Freddy and Walker playing their current roles over him.

I also think that it has to be acknowledged that that discussion point is inconsequential because of the cost/benefit argument though.

That's a dreadful take. He's a totally different player to almost all of those forwards and only comparable to maybe Aish and Wagner in the backline.

Baker is not in anyway worth missing on Chad. Chad is better and younger.

I never said anything about it meaning we miss out on Chad…

If comparing to only Aish and Wagner then he’s ahead of both of those guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back