Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I said they. Two players.

Baker is being underrated here.
He's being underated in the context of his value to Richmond. He's the exact sort of player you would like to hold onto during a rebuild. A solid player with great leadership and work ethic to impress upon the kids. That's his value to Richmond and why Richmond would like something high for him.

However, Freo don't need those attributes and will be rating him on his ability to contribute something special to the side, something more than our bottom 6 players and he isn't that player. He's a sideways trade for us and not worth trading for unless cheap (also the fact he's out of contract and leaving anyway means you take what you can get for him).

If Richmond could convince him to stay, I'd love that. You need him and we don't.

How highly everyone is rating Baker? 90% of people on here seem to think he is not that good which is the most surprising thing.

These are his CBA attendances over his 4 top 6 B&F years for Tigers.
2020 - 2 total (<1%)
2021 - 54 total (9%)
2022 - 49 Total (7%)
2023 - 27 Total (4%)

and for this year 167 total (38%)

He never played a defensive foil midfideld role. His two premiership years he played as a rebounding half back and a small defender. In more recent years he has played more HFF. Averaging 19-20 disposals in the roles he has played is very good. He hasn't played well when he played inside mid this year that is fair, but it's never been his role.

Saying his high B&F finishes are because of the role he plays and not his impact on games is just way off the mark. It's definitely true that he is a role player and hes not a topline gun, but he had a massive impact on tigers' games during his flags. He would look much better in our team than the current 2 win tigers. To win flags you need guys that win 1-on-1 contests all over the ground

Obviously there is an opportunity cost you have to weigh up and we have other players we need to prioritize first. I would't want him if it costs us Warner etc. But he is a better player than what the consensus opinion is on here
That's probably more of an interpretation thing than difference of opinion. His role was playing half back and pushing into the midfield as the defensive foil. I never said he started in the midfield. His role allowed him to move through there and support the midfield and play more of a role. Those are still a large number of CBA's for someone playing a half back flank in any case and as I said, he hasn't performed well this season with a more prominent role in the middle.

I don't think much of what you're saying is different from what I said but our interpretation is a bit off.

He's being underated in the context of his value to Richmond. He's the exact sort of player you would like to hold onto during a rebuild. A solid player with great leadership and work ethic to impress upon the kids. That's his value to Richmond and why Richmond would like something high for him.

However, Freo don't need those attributes and will be rating him on his ability to contribute something special to the side, something more than our bottom 6 players and he isn't that player. He's a sideways trade for us and not worth trading for unless cheap (also the fact he's out of contract and leaving anyway means you take what you can get for him).

If Richmond could convince him to stay, I'd love that. You need him and we don't.
Baker is a better fit for Eagles I would have thought.

They could offer him more money than us (especially if we are set on Bolton and Warner).

They need some leadership during their rebuild which he will offer them and also is a big upgrade on most of their spuds.

He also reportedly was an Eagles supporter and they have met with him the same as us.

Rhino talking about Bolton. Nothing particularly new, but reckons he'll be here next year
The interesting part

"Theres been some discussion that fremantle have been chasing him, thats not necessarily the case. They have a lot of things going on, they're interested in Chad Warner, their interested in Liam Baker. My understanding is they were like well yes you're shai bolton of course we would be interested but how do we make this happen."

The whole "how do we make this happen" screams they must be confident chad is coming. Otherwise it would be very easy to make it happen

I thought Bailey already had a contract offer from Freo.

Out of contract Fremantle forward Bailey Banfield says he’s been comfortable to play the season without having a deal locked away for next year because he’s finally feeling like an important part of the team.
Banfield is the most prominent player at Fremantle who is waiting for a deal beyond this year. He’s played every game and is in career best form, but is still on the list of available free agents.
The 26-year-old has spent his career on the fringe and was the sub 10 times in 2022. But he’s kicked a career-high 20 goals this year, hasn’t been subbed on or off the field, and has also shown an ability to slot into other positions when needed.
Banfield said it was important to prove his worth instead of rushing into asking for a deal.
“My manager is sorting all that out and working through it. I’m pretty happy here at Freo and hopefully, they should be able to sort something out. I’m pretty confident,” he told The West Australian.
“The weekly (selection) thing was probably more immediate stress. There’s more immediate stresses that come with that than the contract stuff.
“With the contract stuff, it’s more if you’re playing good footy and you’re in the team, you’re going to have options and you’re going to get a contract. So just keep playing good footy and then that sort of stuff will look after itself.”
The Dockers have the opportunity to retain their spot in the top four and challenge for a top two finish when they play against Essendon at the MCG on Sunday.
Fremantle have won three of their last four games at the MCG and won’t play at the venue again before the finals. Banfield said the team was approaching the clash with huge anticipation
“What you have to do to perform at your best is see things like this as an opportunity. If you’re scared or you’re playing not to lose, as opposed to playing to win, you’re not going to put your best foot forward,” he said.
“This time of year is so exciting, and to be able to set ourselves up for a big final series, we’ve got to take care of business in games like this. If we can put our best foot forward, we’ll give ourselves our best chance to win. The competition is so tight, I think it is a massive opportunity for us, and that’s that’s really exciting.”

I understand it’s about cost and opportunity cost.

But

In an old school, school yard picking for teams who are you picking first out of:

Baker, Banfield, Emmett, Walters, Sturt, Frederick, Switta, Aish, Wagner, Walker, Erasmus, Brodie, Simpson?

If Baker isn’t in the top 3 then I don’t know football.

Seeing as everyone likes to bang on about how he barely fits in our bottom 6. Let’s reverse the question.

Who from that list is finishing top 6 in Richmond’s B&F 4 years in a row???

But that doesn't have much relevance for whether Baker is a good idea for our football club.

For starters, many of those players are fringe players and are being paid accordingly. I would guess none of them are being paid even close to $600k (which would be the max I'd offer Baker). Let alone the $800k number some would lead you to believe is Baker's value. His salary is the crux of the issue.

And many of them are "worse" than Baker, but in the context of our side they would be picked first due to their point of difference that is more valuable than Baker (e.g. Sturt as our only medium forward, Walker's height/speed/lockdown, Switta's speed, Freddy's speed/marking/kicking).

For 2024, the main changes will be:

• Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.
  • The AFL will also continue to run its review on changing the NGA zones ahead of Tasmania's entrance into the game and the required eligibility and sign-up process for NGA draftees.
  • Free agency compensation picks will from now take into account contract length as a determining factor, however contracts less than two years, or more than five, will not be given any weight. The League will be more transparent with its free agency compensation formula using the year lengths of deals.
  • Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.
  • More flexibility in the drafting of father-son prospects as primary-listed players or rookie-listed players. Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Graham going to WC opens the door for Baker to join him there. Get them pick 22 for a spud, pay less on Baker

A spud you say? Equal second in the Richmond 2021 B&F. With guess who? Baker! A match made in heaven for this pair of guns, cause as some keep insisting, B&F results illustrate how good players really are.

A spud you say? Equal second in the Richmond 2021 B&F. With guess who? Baker! A match made in heaven for this pair of guns, cause as some keep insisting, B&F results illustrate how good players really are.
Haha, Graham is a spud when even the nuffiest of Richmond supporters are happy he's going

I think I need to reword my comments in a far more simpler way.

1) Baker would make us a better side.
2) If that cost doesn’t squeeze someone out or mean we can’t chase someone he would make us a better side.
3) He may not necessarily ‘play’ someone else’s ‘spot’ better but he would be best 22.
4) If the compensation is worth an end of round 1st or the Saints 2nd that is good value. I’m not wanting to give up a pick inside 15 for him.
5) He seems durable and if he’s considered leadership material he will make our side better.

After going through the list 1-5 and things turn out accordingly. He will make us a better side.

If he doesn’t then no, he’s not worth it.

That’s where I sit.

I strongly disagree with anyone thinking he’s not best 22 or borderline.

I thought Bailey already had a contract offer from Freo.

Out of contract Fremantle forward Bailey Banfield says he’s been comfortable to play the season without having a deal locked away for next year because he’s finally feeling like an important part of the team.
Banfield is the most prominent player at Fremantle who is waiting for a deal beyond this year. He’s played every game and is in career best form, but is still on the list of available free agents.
The 26-year-old has spent his career on the fringe and was the sub 10 times in 2022. But he’s kicked a career-high 20 goals this year, hasn’t been subbed on or off the field, and has also shown an ability to slot into other positions when needed.
Banfield said it was important to prove his worth instead of rushing into asking for a deal.
“My manager is sorting all that out and working through it. I’m pretty happy here at Freo and hopefully, they should be able to sort something out. I’m pretty confident,” he told The West Australian.
“The weekly (selection) thing was probably more immediate stress. There’s more immediate stresses that come with that than the contract stuff.
“With the contract stuff, it’s more if you’re playing good footy and you’re in the team, you’re going to have options and you’re going to get a contract. So just keep playing good footy and then that sort of stuff will look after itself.”
The Dockers have the opportunity to retain their spot in the top four and challenge for a top two finish when they play against Essendon at the MCG on Sunday.
Fremantle have won three of their last four games at the MCG and won’t play at the venue again before the finals. Banfield said the team was approaching the clash with huge anticipation
“What you have to do to perform at your best is see things like this as an opportunity. If you’re scared or you’re playing not to lose, as opposed to playing to win, you’re not going to put your best foot forward,” he said.
“This time of year is so exciting, and to be able to set ourselves up for a big final series, we’ve got to take care of business in games like this. If we can put our best foot forward, we’ll give ourselves our best chance to win. The competition is so tight, I think it is a massive opportunity for us, and that’s that’s really exciting.”
Says he is still waiting for a deal.. so the talk of having a deal on table was just speculation then 🤔

For 2024, the main changes will be:

• Clubs having access from pick No.1 onwards for NGA prospects in a return to previous rules to align with northern Academy and the father-son bidding system. The AFL has prioritised this change, revealed by AFL.com.au last month, because it does not want to further see a decline in diverse and Indigenous talent.
  • The AFL will also continue to run its review on changing the NGA zones ahead of Tasmania's entrance into the game and the required eligibility and sign-up process for NGA draftees.
  • Free agency compensation picks will from now take into account contract length as a determining factor, however contracts less than two years, or more than five, will not be given any weight. The League will be more transparent with its free agency compensation formula using the year lengths of deals.
  • Clubs will be able to retain rookies for up to a maximum of five years, up from the current three years. This is to help give clubs more time to develop key position and taller talents as well as players from different backgrounds. Stipulations will mean the player cannot have played more than 10 games at the end of his fourth or fifth season to retain rookie status.
  • More flexibility in the drafting of father-son prospects as primary-listed players or rookie-listed players. Current rules mean clubs have to nominate before the national draft if a player will be a national or rookie father-son, with the tweak giving more scope to make decisions during the live draft.
I like these changes.
Happy Jim Carrey GIF

The interesting part

"Theres been some discussion that fremantle have been chasing him, thats not necessarily the case. They have a lot of things going on, they're interested in Chad Warner, their interested in Liam Baker. My understanding is they were like well yes you're shai bolton of course we would be interested but how do we make this happen."

The whole "how do we make this happen" screams they must be confident chad is coming. Otherwise it would be very easy to make it happen

The first “how do we make this happen” is to cancel any Baker plans.

Both clubs are using the media strongly early to get their messages out. Though Cleary should have been better with saying "Richmond are saying they arent trading him" rather than "they dont want to..."

Step up ya game Cleary, ya got bills to pay

I don't think it's fair tbh but if the club doesn't start negotiations with second rounder for Baker they're pretty silly tbh.

I'm not sure Richmond can ask for the highest first rounder for Baker and be taken seriously either.

The answer is somewhere in between.

Bolton is probably worth two first rounders. Which ones and what Freo gets back is the discussion point.

If we were to get both Bolton and Baker, I'm reasonably happy to give up all three first rounders subject to Richmond also making sure we still have a draft hand (i.e. they throw in some second rounder/s).

With all the permutations being discussed where do people sit with the following:

Trade out pick 7 for ~15 and a future first (assuming someone would look at that sort of trade)

Instead of 7,12,16,25 and F1
We enter negotiations with 12,15,16,25, F1x2

Essentially we create an extra pick.

Thought? This would be my first move… also assuming we do actually have to get deals done.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back