100%

3 team trade.
Freo gain Warner, 19 give 8 and 16
Eagles gain 8, 16, give Barrass 23
Swans gain Barrass, 23 give Warner, 19

This values Warner at ~ pick 7
This values Barrass at ~ pick 6

Some future pick upgrades swaps etc.

Regardless of the actual deal, Barrass selecting Swans means they may need to move Chad or would certainly be more open to it.
I am happy with the trade

So Freo winning pretty easily.
Maybe give Sydney 19, and us a future 2nd pick

I think the Bolton thing is a “this year only” kind of deal though, as his partner will give birth next year and the support network is most needed in the first 6-12 months.
Warner actually becomes cheaper next year as he’s out of contract.
My preference is still Warner but if we want both I can see Bolton this year and Warner next, unless Richmond are willing to take “unders” to secure picks in this years even draft.

What is the deal with Banfield's and I assume Sturt's contract?

Are they both waiting until the end of year?

I assume this is to wait and see what happens with Bolton, Warner, Baker and Co and then see how much cash there is left.

I feel Sturt is too important to wait, and we should sign up before we look to bring in additional players. Would hate to lose him now.

That’s a stupid comparison because you’re basing it off non realistic hypotheticals.

All of this is based on the discussion Warner wants Freo and Barrass wants Swans.

If Papley was lured by Freo and Brayshaw wanted to leave to Swans then a player for player swap with an additional pick is about all you could hope for isn’t it??

I think it's a fair comparison, as long as you make it clear that in our example Brayshaw has told the club he is leaving next year no matter what and the opportunity to maximise value now for him and fill a positional need is there.

I think it's a fair comparison, as long as you make it clear that in our example Brayshaw has told the club he is leaving next year no matter what and the opportunity to maximise value now for him and fill a positional need is there.

Yes, and in that case Papley and a pick is about as good as we could hope for?

Yes, I’d be ropable. Doesn’t mean that wouldn’t be the reality.

I think the Bolton thing is a “this year only” kind of deal though, as his partner will give birth next year and the support network is most needed in the first 6-12 months.
Warner actually becomes cheaper next year as he’s out of contract.
My preference is still Warner but if we want both I can see Bolton this year and Warner next, unless Richmond are willing to take “unders” to secure picks in this years even draft.
That’s my read, but if they’ve committed verbally to Warner and he’s done everything Freo want to hear, then it’s a tough sell to ask Warner to stick out his final year so that they can grab Bolton first.

I don’t see either of them filling that role to be honest. Erasmus is a poor man’s Brayshaw with worse disposal and Johnno is more a Mundy/Young type. But not as good maybe in 5 years.
I agree about Ras but I wouldn't put a ceiling on Johnson yet. He has the height and size to be a contested beast but obviously no guarantees, just look at Ginbey. His game against Sydney showed that potential with 21 disposals, 13 contested possessions and 6 clearances. He is also top ten players for broken tackles in the AFL. We just need to be patient with him. We also have that dude Lucas Robinson in our NGA from Lake Grace. Although early days he has put up some insane numbers.

I would trade four firsts for Bolton and Warner. My only concern at that point going forward would be if Johnson can keep raising his standard to become an elite defensive mid to replace the role that Fyfe is playing. Warner would be even better in our team than in Sydney IMO as we can allow him to play even more as an outside mid pinching forward.

The ideal scenario is we get both, Johnson becomes an A grader, and NOD gets his sparkle back. Add on Cooper Simpson becoming AFL quality and we're set for a few years at least.

Plenty of KPD depth in Draper, Davies, and Murphy. Small chance that Delean becomes a good player to give small forward depth and hopefully Emmett can get to AFL level.

It's a risk certainly - but with the way our forward line is shaping up, now is the time to go for it. Getting two bona-fide A(+) graders is better than taking four punts at the draft (albiet good ones). We could land Young and Serong or we could land Stephens and McAsey.

Would love to get a player like Bo Allen though, so it's a bit of a catch 22.

I still think we have zero chance of Warner this year. I think Warner saying he wants out is still in play, but Sydney simply will not trade him. They won't care if they get less next year. Their time is now, as they have 5 or 6 guys over 30 who are still an important part of their side. They will keep Warner to maximise their chance of a flag next year (which includes not making us stronger).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would trade four firsts for Bolton and Warner. My only concern at that point going forward would be if Johnson can keep raising his standard to become an elite defensive mid to replace the role that Fyfe is playing. Warner would be even better in our team than in Sydney IMO as we can allow him to play even more as an outside mid pinching forward.

The ideal scenario is we get both, Johnson becomes an A grader, and NOD gets his sparkle back. Add on Cooper Simpson becoming AFL quality and we're set for a few years at least.

Plenty of KPD depth in Draper, Davies, and Murphy. Small chance that Delean becomes a good player to give small forward depth and hopefully Emmett can get to AFL level.

It's a risk certainly - but with the way our forward line is shaping up, now is the time to go for it. Getting two bona-fide A(+) graders is better than taking four punts at the draft (albiet good ones). We could land Young and Serong or we could land Stephens and McAsey.

Would love to get a player like Bo Allen though, so it's a bit of a catch 22.
I'm assuming we will also get a few late picks back if we do those dream trades so expect us to still be in the 40-60's of both drafts. We will get more looks at late talent and might unearth another gem who ends up being best 22. Our strike rate has been amazing in the past, although opportunity might stifle the next gen if we are challenging.

I think we are going to be set for awhile as we can access the top end of the draft with the occasional NGA if the rules come in.

I'm assuming we will also get a few late picks back if we do those dream trades so expect us to still be in the 40-60's of both drafts. We will get more looks at late talent and might unearth another gem who ends up being best 22. Our strike rate has been amazing in the past, although opportunity might stifle the next gen if we are challenging.

I think we are going to be set for awhile as we can access the top end of the draft with the occasional NGA if the rules come in.
Better than occasional NGA at the moment, possibly 3 elite talents over 2025 and 2026 at this stage. I am worried they tighten eligibility to **** us on access to Hart, Whan and Robinson

If Bolton and Warner are ins. And they both play forward/mid.

There are 2x spots from
The weekend that they will take.

1 is Emmett.
Who’s the second? Banners? Switta? Sturt?

No contract in front of 2x of those players.

be prepared the lion king GIF

If Bolton and Warner are ins. And they both play forward/mid.

There are 2x spots from
The weekend that they will take.

1 is Emmett.
Who’s the second? Banners? Switta? Sturt?

No contract in front of 2x of those players.

be prepared the lion king GIF
It will be unpopular and I expect bricks but in the crazy arse scenario where Bolton and Warner are somehow coming next year (I would need to see the actual trades go through before believing it will happen), then losing Sturt and Switta makes sense

It will be unpopular and I expect bricks but in the crazy arse scenario where Bolton and Warner are somehow coming next year (I would need to see the actual trades go through before believing it will happen), then losing Sturt and Switta makes sense
Yep.

Love them both.
Both also made of glass.

I was listening to Sydney's draft guru Kinnear Beatson on Gettable saying that they struggled to narrow down to 65 players to nominate for the draft combine this year. He said its so deep that there will be players get drafted late or in the rookie draft that end up being very good players and people will ask why how they slipped. Definitely a good draft to have late picks, in this scenario

No way Sturt makes sense. We don't get any value. Moving him on does nothing for cap space or collateral.

Switta I can understand because either of those two could do his job and he probably has value in the marketplace.

I'd be really surprised if we pushed players out though. I think our MO these days would be to say try again next year for Bolton if we are already wed to Chad.

You are lucky we don't have the brick reaction option.

This has to be another reason we will only get one of them, or we make the call to play Bolton as a small forward only.

No way Sturt makes sense. We don't get any value. Moving him on does nothing for cap space or collateral.

Switta I can understand because either of those two could do his job and he probably has value in the marketplace.

I'd be really surprised if we pushed players out though. I think our MO these days would be to say try again next year for Bolton if we are already wed to Chad.
It makes sense because he's still out of contract. I dont think we are pushing anyone out but these are the type of players I expect to lose to better offers by getting both of those names.

It makes sense because he's still out of contract. I dont think we are pushing anyone out but these are the type of players I expect to lose to better offers by getting both of those names.
I expect him to get better offers, not sure he has enough runs on the board to get offers that get him to move.

Always the risk I guess. Him and Banners.

What is the deal with Banfield's and I assume Sturt's contract?

Are they both waiting until the end of year?

I assume this is to wait and see what happens with Bolton, Warner, Baker and Co and then see how much cash there is left.

I feel Sturt is too important to wait, and we should sign up before we look to bring in additional players. Would hate to lose him now.
In 2021 Banfield was offered a one year contract, which he signed in September. He then signed a contract in 2022 that took him to 2024, which was also signed in September. I think he believes in concentrating on the season, before considering his contract. He's an intelligent man who probably likes there to be some kind of order in life. If he agrees to sign, I think it wont be until September (going by his pattern).

"A desire to be in Fremantle’s first premiership side was the driving force behind Bailey Banfield’s decision to commit to the Club for the next two seasons, signing on until 2024."
I believe Banfield and Freo have ticked a few boxes. He is getting that regular spot in the side he was chasing.

The 24-year-old instead decided to stay put and fight for his spot in Fremantle’s side after a return to finals in 2022.

“I did have a bit of interest elsewhere and I seriously considered that. It would’ve been remiss of me not to think about my options and whether or not my footy would be better off elsewhere,” he said.

“I think I showed this year I could contribute and I could continue really strongly at AFL level and have an impact on the scoreboard which is an important part of the modern game.

“Two years is great. It’s nice to get a bit of job security and not be worrying about it every year.”

“It’s about the group we’ve got at the club and the fact we’ve been a part of it, building over the past four or five years, it would’ve been a massive shame to leave now having tasted a little bit of success,” Banfield said.

“Hopefully we can go a few steps further next year. I love the club, not only on the field and the group we’ve got but all of the stuff like this outside of footy. It has a special place in my heart.”

Darcy reminds me of Zion Williamson in the NBA. They are so heavy that it results in leg injuries from trying to carry too much mass. It's a bit of a vicious circle though ... once they are so big, it is harder to do the training required to drop the weight without causing injuries.

Weight loss is 90% diet

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back