Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely we have resting midfielders who are just as good at doing that without wasting a spot in our 22.

The only one we have that is good at doing that on a regular basis is Young.

He isn't playing in defense or midfield. I don't pay any attention to his stats this year, playing in a team that gets beaten every week.
Doesn't change the fact that he doesn't get involved when it goes down there and he isn't a good snap shot. We need classy goal kickers who have a defensive side. Not another defensive forward who doesn't kick goals.

Interesting looking back that when we bought Jackson in we could have traded Darcy & picked up some handy mid/forward talent and played Meek.

Hindsight & all but with what Knobel/Reidy are showing we could still do it & pay for Bolton/Baker & keep a sweet draft hand.
We didn't know how good Meek was because he never played and had the chance to develop playing AFL like he has at Hawthorn. Selection policy has been a joke honestly. Continually playing older B graders instead of getting games into the young talented kids who are the future. And where has it got us? Going to miss finals again anyway most likely and the likes of Erasmus get stuck at Peel. Ras should of played 50 full games by now and he'd be a much better player for it. Same goes for Sturt who was constantly dropped back to Peel. You need to fast track a rebuild by identifying the future and getting games into them ASAP. Where does playing the likes JOM and Aish or Colyer ahead of them get us? The last 2 years have been wasted. Even playing Emmett over Simpson is the wrong move. Again short term pain but Cooper has real class and needs to be playing to learn at the level. Emmett just tries his guts out.

Aish is fine. Not sure what happened to him this year.
Aish has been good for us but he isn't the future. Just a stopgap player who keeps a young guy who needs games out of the team. If we had made finals the last two years you could justify it but we're in no mans land. No finals. Shit picks and very little experience for the young talented guys we have on the list at Peel. If not for Cox and McDonald going down injured would we have seen Draper this year? And look how he's coming along with a chance to play.

Can only develop so much at the lower levels. If the coaches are waiting for these guys to become elite AFL standard playing in the WAFL they are clueless.

Aish has been good for us but he isn't the future. Just a stopgap player who keeps a young guy who needs games out of the team. If we had made finals the last two years you could justify it but we're in no mans land. No finals. Shit picks and very little experience for the young talented guys we have on the list at Peel. If not for Cox and McDonald going down injured would we have seen Draper this year? And look how he's coming along with a chance to play.

Can only develop so much at the lower levels. If the coaches are waiting for these guys to become elite AFL standard playing in the WAFL they are clueless.

Well neither is Nathan Fyfe and that's in a position we have great depth, or Michael Walters in one we don't.

Banfield and Aish are both utilities. I'd be watching for Aish to play forward next year if Banfield leaves as a free agent.

Could say exactly the same about Jaegar. Has stagnated Brodie and Erasmus behind him for what? 2 years of mediocrity sprinkled with 1-3 good games. With 2 years still to come with diminishing returns.

Also ‘driving standards’ my ass. We’ve had more players than ever show up out of shape.

I have a really good feeling about Max Knobel ,just turned 20 and 206cm tall ,the second coming of Aaron Sandilands,make no mistake. This guy will dominate in the ruck and is a very good player around the ground. As far as I'm concerned his ceiling is enormous way ahead of Reidy who I think should be traded or delisted.
Problem with Darcy is his body he can't get on the park ,in the 8 years he's been in the team ,he only manages 57% on the field so 50% of the time he absent ,that's not sustainable for our number one ruckman and at 26 years of age ,it is not going to improve anytime soon,why we signed him until 2030 baffles me. He has a problem keeping his weight down and apart from 2021/22 when he managed to be on the park more times then usual ,he was really really good but of late ,because of his body and fitness ,is finding it difficult to get to that level again.
I hope we offer Knobel and attractive incentive to stay with us for the future,step in when Darcy is injured or even play them in tandem and utilise Jackson a lot better elsewhere ,maybe take over from Fyfe as a fulltime midfielder and resting in the forward line,he has the attributes for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well neither is Nathan Fyfe and that's in a position we have great depth, or Michael Walters in one we don't.

Banfield and Aish are both utilities. I'd be watching for Aish to play forward next year if Banfield leaves as a free agent.
Not sure I can see Aish playing forward.. have we ever seen him in that position? What skillset have you seen that would make him a fwd

Not sure I can see Aish playing forward.. have we ever seen him in that position? What skillset have you seen that would make him a fwd

I think back in 2021/2022 he was our highest retention inside fifty kick, that tidy moving on the ball for a mark i50.

The worst thing is we traded all 3 in

This is why I don’t get when people say we’ve been good at trading in players for cheap. Apart from maybe Aish they’ve all done about as much as could be expected from the price paid - pay ** all and expect ** all.

I’ll go back until 2016 - these are the players traded in for value less than a second rounder:
  • McCarthy
  • Hamling
  • Kersten
  • Matera
  • Lobb*
  • Conca
  • Colyer
  • Aish
  • Corbett
  • JOM

I’ve put an * next to Lobb as whilst the points value index doesn’t value what we gave up I think it’s BS and we actually paid second round value.

McCarthy, Hamling, Aish and even JOM have had enough moments that you almost think about whether it was worth it. They are (excluding Lobb) the four most expensive trades there.

You get what you pay for when trading. When we’ve paid a bit more we’ve seen players than provide a bit more of a contribution. I could argue with you about some but I think we can agree Hogan didn’t work - the rest of the more expensive trades you could argue whether the price was right but they’ve played AFL-standard footy most of their time at the club.

From memory all the cheap trades were offered at least three years and a lot of the time the third year was a total waste of time.

This year where we’ll have **** all list spots to work with and we have good picks cheap trades should not be considered IMO. I’m happy to trade for genuine best 22 players with 5+ years left - otherwise said players can GAGF as I’d rather use the picks.

Yeah managers are generally all over teams salary caps and what’s available etc .
I doubt he’s pushing it if he doesn’t think freo can satisfy Shais needs financially.

The only caveat to that is maybe shai and his management in particular have got known the details about freos chad pursuit and how much coin is on offer but realise it’s still no certainty to happen , certainly not this year anyway and they’ve decided to make their move now and take this opportunity in the hope freo change tact and take the guaranteed option of Bolten now (as they also have the picks this year) instead of walls waiting on an answer from warners camp next year
Possibly, but I have a hard time believing that Bolton isn't more likely to go than stay given the messaging from his camp and the stuff Daniels has said. Given Daniels gets his stuff from over here, I can't not conclude that Freo thinks this happens.

I also don't believe we'd give up on Chad if we've been tracking him since his draft.

And then it sounds recently like Baker is heading here.

Something doesn't add up. Either we have an absolute mountain of cap space or there are some other shenanigans about to take place.

I have a really good feeling about Max Knobel ,just turned 20 and 206cm tall ,the second coming of Aaron Sandilands,make no mistake. This guy will dominate in the ruck and is a very good player around the ground. As far as I'm concerned his ceiling is enormous way ahead of Reidy who I think should be traded or delisted.
Problem with Darcy is his body he can't get on the park ,in the 8 years he's been in the team ,he only manages 57% on the field so 50% of the time he absent ,that's not sustainable for our number one ruckman and at 26 years of age ,it is not going to improve anytime soon,why we signed him until 2030 baffles me. He has a problem keeping his weight down and apart from 2021/22 when he managed to be on the park more times then usual ,he was really really good but of late ,because of his body and fitness ,is finding it difficult to get to that level again.
I hope we offer Knobel and attractive incentive to stay with us for the future,step in when Darcy is injured or even play them in tandem and utilise Jackson a lot better elsewhere ,maybe take over from Fyfe as a fulltime midfielder and resting in the forward line,he has the attributes for it.
The past fee games I've come to the same conclusion as well. I think Walls found a hidden gem with him and we need to keep him. The way he effortlessly kicked a goal outside 50 after the siren was awesome to watch.

Daniel Curtin tonight in game 5 of his career:
11 disposals (7 contested)
82% disposal efficiency
2.0 Goals
3 Clearances

He is developing nicely especially if you look at his SANFL numbers. It's a shame he wants to return to WA (if the rumours are true) because I was bullish on him in his draft year. Can't fault us choosing to pursue Bolton and Warner though.

Robert Murphy is moving back to Victoria.
At least one change for next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back