Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take off my Freo hat for a moment. Bolton is taking the absolute piss with his upcoming trade request. 4 years still on his contract and he wants out? This isn't good for the competition in my opinion.
I think there's way more egregious examples of players requesting trades. 4 years in contract is never really a good look, but it's the right trade for Richmond to do anyways, Shai probably signed that contract assuming that Richmond were gonna be contending (Richmond clearly thought they were gonna contend with the Taranto + Hopper deals) and I guess a fair amount can change in 2 years family-wise (though there will probably be skepticism on Shai's true motives). Plus, clubs have been treating these long-term contracts like they're cancel any time for years (notably Collingwood with their salary cap stuff), so if players do it too I'm not hugely fussed.

I find it crazier when players sign their deals knowing what's up and when circumstances don't really change, they reneg and potentially screw their club over. Especially when it just tears up previously safe assumptions, particularly when it comes to draftees. JHF is probably the biggest example: a #1 pick leaving because the garbage Vic club that finished last to get the pick for him...turned out to be a garbage Vic club? I think unless draftees are having a harder time than expected breaking into a team, they should stay at their club until the end of their 1st non-rookie deal at minimum.

Or when players sign deals and then moan about being underpaid and so they **** off to Brisbane. Allegedly. Blame your manager, not the club.

So what? He entered into a legal contract and the ink is barely ****ing dry.

Imagine if Bolton had to work a 8-5 Monday to Friday job for minimum chips. I bet he'd find that real difficult.

You don't even need to earn Free Agency status anymore. Everyone is practically a FA now.
Signed in December 2022, so ink is pretty damn dry

People can negotiate their way out of contracts in the real world too

I don't see a massive problem with it as long as either
a) The club is compensated enough to let them go
b) If not, then the player stays and completes his contract

I don't see a situation where one of these aren't hit with Shai, we clearly have enough to compensate the tigers

Two children without your mum around to help, because your partner is a 24/7 athlete who needs to prioritize themselves, is really difficult. I understand why they would want to come home.
Or Bolton's partner is an absolute weapon who's got their parenting locked down and doesn't need parents to help them, but they still want their kids to have a good relationship with their grandparents.

(Making a concentrated effort here to celebrate Mums coz hot damn they take on a massive mental load)

Or when players sign deals and then moan about being underpaid and so they **** off to Brisbane. Allegedly. Blame your manager, not the club.
Surprising that people still believe this to be true

Neale saw more in Brissy than money, he has been proven right, we made finals once in the time he has left, he has challenged every year, made a GF and come away with 2x brownlow medals

Bells "Feather" was to dump a bag of money in Neale's lap, it didn't work, he had his eyes set on other things.

I don't see a situation where one of these aren't hit with Shai, we clearly have enough to compensate the tigers
I'd also add you shouldn't be able to trade your way out of a front-ended deal once the front-end years have passed (which isn't the case here). Like I'd want the AFL to pass a trade rule that goes something along the lines of "if your contract is more than X% front-ended and you try to trade your way out of the lesser paying years, you can't get paid more than that for those years once you're traded."

I'd also add you shouldn't be able to trade your way out of a front-ended deal once the front-end years have passed (which isn't the case here). Like I'd want the AFL to pass a trade rule that goes something along the lines of "if your contract is more than X% front-ended and you try to trade your way out of the lesser paying years, you can't get paid more than that for those years once you're traded."
Serong and Young are here because they rightly held Brad Hill to a high value as he was effectively doing what you're saying, swings and roundabouts really if you can make it work

I think you just factor it into the compensation

If a club has a player tied up on the cheap due to front paying, then a club should pay more to extract them as the club losing the player can't just walk out and buy a replacement at that lower price

Neale saw more in Brissy than money, he has been proven right, we made finals once in the time he has left, he has challenged every year, made a GF and come away with 2x brownlow medals

Bells "Feather" was to dump a bag of money in Neale's lap, it didn't work, he had his eyes set on other things.
And he has won as many premierships as Fyfe in that time.

Shane Kersten says Hi 👋

And he still had a year to go on his contract.

We didnt have to trade him. It was a dumb move from Bell/Club.

We clearly had no confidence as a club we could to change his mind 12 months later.

Would Brisbane still be keen 12 months later they might have found another scalp somewhere else.

I think Tom Papley was out the door with the Swans but they refused and he ended up staying.

I would have rolled the dice with F/A if he left then so be it unless we were getting 2 x 1st Rounders

Freo (Motlop, Edwards), Melbourne (Mac Andrew) & West Coast (Collard) should all be going to the AFL for compensation for missing the opportunity to draft the Academy prospects due the knee-jerk decision to block access, only for that to be revoked in a year that Essendon stand to benefit.

Melbourne especially, Losing their Academy prospect to a team that was unaffected by the changes is disgusting.

Freo (Motlop, Edwards), Melbourne (Mac Andrew) & West Coast (Collard) should all be going to the AFL for compensation for missing the opportunity to draft the Academy prospects due the knee-jerk decision to block access, only for that to be revoked in a year that Essendon stand to benefit.

Melbourne especially, Losing their Academy prospect to a team that was unaffected by the changes is disgusting.

The Crows missed out in Izac Rankine as well. (Drafted the same year as Thomas for North, but SA and WA clubs did not get access to NGA players)

They don't care abou the non vic clubs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very, very keen for the trade period to start. Have 100% confidence we'll bring in Bolton.
I want to be excited for trade period but I really really want us scraping into finals however we can. Feels a bit bleh if we cant get there

If that happens I'd be way more keen on trade period ending than starting tbh. It's going to be painful listening to all the rubbish until the trade is actually done which I assume will happen quite late.
I expect the tug-of-war trade for Bolton to last the whole trade period. Will make for an interesting roller-coaster of emotions

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarko going after an experienced leader

One Jaeger O'Meara coming right up

Pretty sure Neale was on particularly low money by the time the end of his contract was approaching.
You could say, well he signed it, but it goes a bit both ways - we could have approached his manager and said “Hey Lachie - you’re performing way above your pay grade, how about we restructure and extend your contract to factor in your improvement.” This is what we did with Treacy recently.

Back then Bell and co thought it was clever cap management to have players on way unders - not factoring the inevitable whispers in the ears from other clubs. But yeah, from all reports there was other cultural stuff at play around that time as well.

Last edited:

Of course people can negotiate their way out of a contact. The point is we have an elite player leaving a rebuilding team to a contending team. It just seems very convenient that these family issues have arisen after:

1. It was reported that Bolton approached the Tigers for a trade and was rebuffed.
  2. It became quite apparent the Tigers were up for a significant rebuild.
Obviously if both parties are happy to call it quits, then no worries, everyone is a winner.

Personally I think the AFL and probably Australian sport in general and it's fans need to grow up a little bit.

Players getting transferred mid contract in most other major sports is just normal. It probably is in the AFL tbf but fans seem to think it shouldn't be. Why exactly?

Personally I think the AFL and probably Australian sport in general and it's fans need to grow up a little bit.

Players getting transferred mid contract in most other major sports is just normal. It probably is in the AFL tbf but fans seem to think it shouldn't be. Why exactly?
I get your sentiment, I think however there needs to be some maturation in how clubs manage trades as well. Having watched a bit of NBA trade periods (I am no expert mind you), it is a given that if you want a player of significant value the club trading for him has to give up something of commensurate value, whether it be several players on equivalent salaries and draft capital. It always seems there is a d*ck measuring contest where clubs try to 'win the trade' without being prepared to give up something of equivalent value.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back