Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is another reason I want to hit the draft.

I think we could bring in 3 or 4 good kicks of the ball this year, rather than bring in bolton.

FYI - I don't think so Bolton is an elite kick of the ball either, so won't help us in this area.

Baker is an excellent kick. Elite decision maker and excellent at moving the ball on quickly with his 25-40m passes.

Yet some don’t want him.

Elite kicks in the draft are hard to find and transfer to AFL level.

You need elite decision makers.

Anyway, I think you’ve made your stance known.

I strongly disagree and would welcome Bolton and Baker with our current group over 3-4 lucky dips.

The draft is super important, but comes a time when you need to stop developing and start strengthening.

We don’t need to develop further IMO. We need to strengthen.

We still have plenty on the sheds to develop anyway.

If Isiah Winder was playing as well for Peel, as he is for his current WAFL side we would be all asking for him to come in.

Why shouldn't we be looking at him. Pretty sure he is available as a DFA.
Winder has spoken to a few clubs but they have not told indicated if they will pick him or not. He may also not need his pre-planned surgery which is a positive sign for recruiters.

Not sure you have ever watched Bolton play. It's honestly the only explanation as to your rating of his overall game.

Yep. I’m not getting it either. I think he views him simply as a seagull. Liam Ryan type. He’s miles off being that sort of player.

You’d have to seriously just be a hater to think his 4 goal performance against us wasn’t impressive.

Even on the weekend Shai smothered a ball, pounced on it, ran away from the defender and kicked a goal high over another defender.

When’s the last time we had a forward do anything g remotely like that?

are you saying Bolton is an elite kick to a player on a lead?

He is as good as Mundy or Walters or Young?

Just in general, every post you seem to say Bolton is poor or average at X. Plenty of posters have given data and stats to suggest that he's up there with the absolute ELITE small forwards but you haven't once said a positive thing about him. It's just weird. We aren't getting Bolton to exclusively kick inside 50 (he will be handy at that), we are getting him to kick goals given our smalls at the moment seem incapable of doing so. This in turn will give us the very best shot at a flag, going to the draft just makes the team younger and pushes the timeline out even further.

Just in general, every post you seem to say Bolton is poor or average at X. Plenty of posters have given data and stats to suggest that he's up there with the absolute ELITE small forwards but you haven't once said a positive thing about him. It's just weird. We aren't getting Bolton to exclusively kick inside 50 (he will be handy at that), we are getting him to kick goals given our smalls at the moment seem incapable of doing so. This in turn will give us the very best shot at a flag, going to the draft just makes the team younger and pushes the timeline out even further.

All I said was he is not an elite kick of the ball to a leading target.

Baker is an excellent kick. Elite decision maker and excellent at moving the ball on quickly with his 25-40m passes.

Yet some don’t want him.

Elite kicks in the draft are hard to find and transfer to AFL level.

You need elite decision makers.

Anyway, I think you’ve made your stance known.

I strongly disagree and would welcome Bolton and Baker with our current group over 3-4 lucky dips.

The draft is super important, but comes a time when you need to stop developing and start strengthening.

We don’t need to develop further IMO. We need to strengthen.

We still have plenty on the sheds to develop anyway.

Agree with Baker, I have seen him do some elite kicks.

Yep. I’m not getting it either. I think he views him simply as a seagull. Liam Ryan type. He’s miles off being that sort of player.

You’d have to seriously just be a hater to think his 4 goal performance against us wasn’t impressive.

Even on the weekend Shai smothered a ball, pounced on it, ran away from the defender and kicked a goal high over another defender.

When’s the last time we had a forward do anything g remotely like that?
The more I think about it, I think it's actually incredible we've had the scoring power we've had the back half of the season. Like, I watched Kozzie break a tackle on the 50 earlier in the year and jam it on his boot of one step for a goal. It was a good goal but nothing special but I was like, man, we have NO ONE who could do even that in the forward 50.

Our goals are all from marks and transition with basically nothing from stoppage. It will be unreal to watch Bolton do his thing up there

The more I think about it, I think it's actually incredible we've had the scoring power we've had the back half of the season. Like, I watched Kozzie break a tackle on the 50 earlier in the year and jam it on his boot of one step for a goal. It was a good goal but nothing special but I was like, man, we have NO ONE who could do even that in the forward 50.

Our goals are all from marks and transition with basically nothing from stoppage. It will be unreal to watch Bolton do his thing up there

Watching the Bolton highlight package posted earlier and there was about 10 goals kicked that not a single one of our players could do. He's special.

What excites me most about Bolton and to a lesser degree Baker is the flexibility it will provide us.

They can both have stints through the midfield and have genuine impact. We can rotate our actual mids through the forward line like we’ve doing recently.

OR we can play Bolton exclusively in our forward line and know his 10-15 touches will actually amount to something. Sure, that might be 2 goals 5 behinds but on other occasions he’ll kick 4 and be electric.

Baker could play anywhere. Maybe strengthen our rebound and pressure on back half.

These guys are not spuds.

What excites me most about Bolton and to a lesser degree Baker is the flexibility it will provide us.

They can both have stints through the midfield and have genuine impact. We can rotate our actual mids through the forward line like we’ve doing recently.

OR we can play Bolton exclusively in our forward line and know his 10-15 touches will actually amount to something. Sure, that might be 2 goals 5 behinds but on other occasions he’ll kick 4 and be electric.

Baker could play anywhere. Maybe strengthen our rebound and pressure on back half.

These guys are not spuds.

Bolton is a special talent that doesn't come around often and Baker would absolutely make us better. Getting both would be the dream but if it's a choice between the two I am choosing the guy that can rip a game open.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our forward line in the back half has progressed immensely. We pass it in. We separate. It’s exactly why other ‘measures’ are down.

You either win the one on one contest and hence have a shot on goal or you lose it and it bounces out.

We’re not kicking to pack situations as much, where it’s then easier to lay a tackle and have repeat forward 50m stoppages.

There can be some misleading stats.

Tackles inside forward 50m can be a misleading one.

If ever there was a time to cash in on a strong draft hand, it's now.

2018 was poorly thought out and ended up setting the rebuild back but the squad's at a completely different stage in 2024.

If this was 2020/2021 I would want to go to the draft but we have more than enough young talent on the list and with 3 first round picks...we should all be gleeful at the prospect of adding some established talent to the already talented and young list.

I am 100% sure the club feels the same way hence not using the picks/trading into the draft at a high end last year. We know where we sit and it's pretty damn good.

OK. So you want to draft 3-4 elite kicks of the ball to leading targets. That sounds great, who do they replace in the 22 for 2025 when we should be pushing for a flag?

This year Fyfe, Walters, O'Meara, Banfield and Aish played 100 games.
By the start of 2026, I don't think any of them will be best 22, and 3 of the 5 won't be best 22 next year.

I have said multiple times I like Baker coming in.

Berry could replace Walters.
Lalor or Hotton could replace Banfield.
Baker could replace O'Meara or Aish.
Erasmus\Brodie for Fyfe

If Switta leaves, that opens up another role.

Even Sharp, if someone is playing really really well then you could push him out.

I don't think list spots are as tight as other people think, and we have had virtually no injuries this year to our non key position players.

If this was 2020/2021 I would want to go to the draft but we have more than enough young talent on the list and with 3 first round picks...we should all be gleeful at the prospect of adding some established talent to the already talented and young list.

I am 100% sure the club feels the same way hence not using the picks/trading into the draft at a high end last year. We know where we sit and it's pretty damn good.

Yep exactly. We've been justifiably focused on drafting for the last 7-8 years. The squad's talented enough and there's no point future proofing against a post-premiership window decline if we never make it to that window in the first place.

Walls also doesn't need a huge amount of currency to work some magic with the later rounds of the draft anyway.

2022 just in case some need more convincing. I know it’s a highlights package, but they’re special highlights.

Plenty of crumbing goals and opportunistic goals that we lack.

I’d argue that you couldn’t create a package anywhere near as impressive with our entire smalls or mids from last 2 years.

This is the Bolton version I’m sure we’ll get in a team where the heavy lifting is done by others. If that makes him a front runner I don’t care.

Especially with the amount of dirty ball that also gets sent down there with us.

This year Fyfe, Walters, O'Meara, Banfield and Aish played 100 games.
By the start of 2026, I don't think any of them will be best 22, and 3 of the 5 won't be best 22 next year.

I have said multiple times I like Baker coming in.

Berry could replace Walters.
Lalor or Hotton could replace Banfield.
Baker could replace O'Meara or Aish.
Erasmus\Brodie for Fyfe

If Switta leaves, that opens up another role.

Even Sharp, if someone is playing really really well then you could push him out.

I don't think list spots are as tight as other people think, and we have had virtually no injuries this year to our non key position players.
Now replaced those names with Cerra, Henry and Shultz. Erasmus is another one who is a high end talent but hasn't been able to get AFL game time since it is becoming a log jam in his spot. We have had a big windfall, time to spend it on known talent to remove the risk.

The thing about recruiting older players is they have to get game time. This pushes Banners, Aish or Emmett out of the 22. This makes us stronger. We recruit kids and there isn't the pressure to play them, we all know how our coaching group has been behind in this metric.

Tabs is pretty good
Chappy is good too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back