Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well you are kinda proving the point I’m making about supporters not taking external factors into account.
We might not have a choice? We gave Hughes a 3 year deal. We gave Brodie and JOM a 4 year deal.
He’s much more proven than Richard and also younger. I think it’s crazy Richard’s getting 4 years but - the market decides. Not us.

The bottom line is if a club in Melbourne is offering him 4 years or 5 years and we are only offering 2, he will leave. Anyone would in that scenario.

We went though this all already with acres and I think he’s a lesser player than Sturt.
I obviously hope you are right and he stays but I’m around long enough watching these scenarios to know it’s not at all certain.

Agree with all of that. The market is currently crazy. 7 year deals are becoming normal, means 4-5 year deals for not established best 22 guys are becoming the norm.

We can cite Acres, but on the flip side we have guys like Brodie, JOM on longer term deals that have already or will start to become questionable.

It’s a balance.

3 years if he’s loyal and pay is fine an incentive laden should be enough. Throw a 4 year trigger if needed.

If a competitor throws a 5 year deal at him, hmmm, it starts to become a rough one IMO.

Freo isn’t ready to trade out our best draft hand for years, for so called ‘finishing’ players.
Our lack of depth has been exposed these last few weeks, we have players that just aren’t up to standard, and others that will be retiring.
IMHO, we still need to add more quality young players through the draft.
And let’s face it, Freo’s trading in the past decade has been average/poor, so I have little faith they’ll get it right.

Lack of depth is a bit misleading. No one really has good Key position depth, cause they get poached. Carlton barely covered for Charlie/Harry and went small.

We’ve found one in Draper while Cox/Pearce missing. Also have Oscar Mac back fit.
Yet to be decided on Voss, but he’s had moments while in for Darcy/treacy.
We all can acknowledge that JLo should have played Reidy every time Darcy missed. Structure wise, much better team.

Our depth is mainly mid. But we haven’t had many injuries to cover. We have Raz, Brodie, Odriscoll (back now) all for depth for mid. More than handy enough.

Even have a couple guys who can cover HBF in Hughes (yuck I know but has exp) and Worner (can plug a hole)

We have absolutely no depth in small fwds. When Switta or Freddie miss we look awful. No speed.

Trading in Bolton is a no brainer. None of our smalls have any crumbing/half chance ability. Most are too unselfish and won’t have a ping. Guarantee if we have Bolton this year, we’d have qualified already. No doubt in my mind we’d have 2 more wins.

It would be great to keep a first rounder tho.

Well you are kinda proving the point I’m making about supporters not taking external factors into account.
We might not have a choice? We gave Hughes a 3 year deal. We gave Brodie and JOM a 4 year deal.
He’s much more proven than Richard and also younger. I think it’s crazy Richard’s getting 4 years but - the market decides. Not us.

The bottom line is if a club in Melbourne is offering him 4 years or 5 years and we are only offering 2, he will leave. Anyone would in that scenario.

We went though this all already with acres and I think he’s a lesser player than Sturt.
I obviously hope you are right and he stays but I’m around long enough watching these scenarios to know it’s not at all certain.
How would we know? The so called depth players don’t get a game at Freo.
Walls has done a great job in finding talent, the issue is pretty obvious
that the coaching group felt the outside pressure to make finals and picked a
team for Today.
Now right at the end of a long season, they are all long, the lack of rest and
rotations of the list has shot them in the foot.
Oh injury has moved the goalposts, no it’s the ineptitude of the think tank.
They can’t create or manufacture wins, so we will import the finished product.
Its self inflicted with certain players getting games, that should be told that
Father Time is undefeated.

Bolton is a gamble worth taking.

Mercurial and inconsistent yes, but complements our talls really well, and will draw a lot of attention from the opposition defenders so the other smalls/mid sized/forwards drifting forward may get a touch more space.

I’m not convinced on Chad Warner.

If we get Bolton, do we still need another small forward in the best 22?

Personally, I think we need another 1 or 2 small forwards on our list even if we get Bolton.
Adding Winder\Richards plus Berry and Bolton would compliment the list very well. (Not saying they will all be best 22), but I don't think locking Bolton into a forward pocket role would get the most out of him.

Is Sturt out of contract at the end of this year? If so, the fact he hasn't signed is a bad sign. Hopefully it will all work out but when a players like him (in and out of the team for years) hasn't signed a contract by round 24...danger.

If we get Bolton, do we still need another small forward in the best 22?

Personally, I think we need another 1 or 2 small forwards on our list even if we get Bolton.
Adding Winder\Richards plus Berry and Bolton would compliment the list very well. (Not saying they will all be best 22), but I don't think locking Bolton into a forward pocket role would get the most out of him.

I’ve got a feeling Richards is a plan b if Richmond decide not to trade, or ask for too much.

Personally I think we should develop Simpson as the next small in, his pace and smarts to get out the back will be a weapon.

Not a fan of trying to develop him as a mid, maybe after a couple of years but not to start.

Hypothetically

If Sturt and Switta were traded in order to get

Bolton , Baker and Warner would we do it ?

I’ve got a feeling Richards is a plan b if Richmond decide not to trade, or ask for too much.

Personally I think we should develop Simpson as the next small in, his pace and smarts to get out the back will be a weapon.

Not a fan of trying to develop him as a mid, maybe after a couple of years but not to start.

Simpson is a midfielder / forward flank.

We need forward pockets to compliment what the Forward/flanks and mids can add to the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Simpson is a midfielder / forward flank.

We need forward pockets to compliment what the Forward/flanks and mids can add to the team.

It is where he played juniors, but that doesn’t mean it is either his best fit at AFL level, or that it is what the team most needs from him.

I think he has the attributes to be a 30+ goal small forward.

Agree he could do well in the half fwd role, especially how Freo uses it.

Bolton is a gamble worth taking.

Mercurial and inconsistent yes, but complements our talls really well, and will draw a lot of attention from the opposition defenders so the other smalls/mid sized/forwards drifting forward may get a touch more space.

I’m not convinced on Chad Warner.

I am. I think Sydney’s midfield on the inside is Heeney.

Warner is mainly outside run, as is Gulden.

What do we have? We have some good inside players…Serong, Fyfe, even Andy and Young, Brodie and Erasmus.

Plug Warner into that, Serong, Young, Bolton, Warner rotating inside/out, and through half forward as necessary.

Bolton is an upgrade on switta son in ok if he's part of the trade

Don't want to loose Sturt given he's now becoming reliable

Simpson for me can develop into the defensive hard running forward to offset the loss of switta's defensive game that Bolton won't provide

Banners, Voss become decent depth players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I think I’d cry watching Sturt turn into Luke Breust

With nothing else going out? Not even a remote possibility the other clubs would consider it.

With picks going out, it would depend on which ones.
I haven’t done the numbers ( not very good on that stuff - plenty in here are though )

Obviously we are well Int’l all of them but a bit short on capital

I wonder if this helps the situation as it aligns with the Switta rumours and Sturt not signed yet

I’d be happy to keep both but probably more happy to see the other 3 come in

3 absolute guns who can win games

I mean look at this team:

Bolton, Amiss Sturt
Freddy, Treacy Switta
Sharp Serong ODriscoll
Clark Pearce Chapman
Walker Cox Ryan

Darcy Warner Young

Brayshaw Baker Simpson Jackson

Emg Johnson Wagner Simpson etc

That’s a multi premiership winning team.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back