Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

As soon as we get one injury, you have Banfield playing, then Dealan.

My team has Richards, 3 first round picks, then Banfield.
These players will go past some of the best 22, improving the overall squad, increasing competition and leading to long term success.

This is why I believe we are better to pass on Bolton. Understand, not everyone agrees.

It's not straight to Banfield and then Delean. There's Emmett, Walters, Simpson. Could bring in Winder for minimum wage instead of Richards and you'll still have a high level state league player. And it's all a wash of B/C graders who aren't going to do much at AFL level. Plus, we could give up two firsts for Bolton and still draft forwards like Berry and Davis with our 2 other picks (assuming Baker is in the bin).

Maybe the question should be is when are we aiming to win a flag ? What is realistic?

Most of the A graders are under 25. I think we are 2 years away from the window, with or with out Bolton.

I think most GF teams have the core of the team between 26 and 30.

It is only really Pearce (29), Ryan (28) and Cox (26 ) that are a bit older. (Ignoring JOM, Fyfe and Walters who are borderline best 22 next year)

We should be aiming at 2025 and if we aren't then I agree with you that we should be going to the draft again. This is the weakest I have ever seen the AFL, the media calls the competition even but that just means there isn't a standout team. We should be doing all we can to win it all in 2025.

Maybe the question should be is when are we aiming to win a flag ? What is realistic?

Most of the A graders are under 25. I think we are 2 years away from the window, with or with out Bolton.

I think most GF teams have the core of the team between 26 and 30.

It is only really Pearce (29), Ryan (28) and Cox (26 ) that are a bit older. (Ignoring JOM, Fyfe and Walters who are borderline best 22 next year)

Put Bolton in the side and it is on like donkey kong for the 2025 premiership. I would be disappointed if we didn't go all the way if we had a good injury run. Add Warner in end of 2025, and it would be a monumental failure (again, injuries aside) to not win the 2026 flag.

We should be aiming at 2025 and if we aren't then I agree with you that we should be going to the draft again. This is the weakest I have ever seen the AFL, the media calls the competition even but that just means there isn't a standout team. We should be doing all we can to win it all in 2025.
Yep, it’s why the prospect of missing finals this year is so depressing, did the ladder predictor and if we scrape in it would be Hawks, Cats, Sydney, GWS to claim the flag, with Treacy, Pearce and Darcy (or even just two of them) back it looks doable.

Put Bolton in the side and it is on like donkey kong for the 2025 premiership. I would be disappointed if we didn't go all the way if we had a good injury run. Add Warner in end of 2025, and it would be a monumental failure (again, injuries aside) to not win the 2026 flag.

I think this is pretty close to our best 22 at the moment.

DOCKERS
B: L.Ryan, A. Pearce , B.Cox
HB: B.Walker, H.Chapman, J.Clark
C: J.O’Meara, H.Young, J.Sharp
HF: B.Banfield, S.Switkowski, M.Frederick
F: J.Amiss, J. Treacy , L.Jackson
FOLL: S. Darcy , C.Serong - C, A.Brayshaw
I/C: N.O’Driscoll, N.Fyfe, M.Johnson, C.Wagner, S.Sturt

By 2026 at the latest, Walters, Fyfe, Aish, O'Meara are gone. I don't think they will offer much next year.

If are also losing players like Sturt and Switta, then suddenly our depth starts to get really tested. Banfield, Fyfe, Walters and Jaegar played 100

I really feel we don't have the depth to replace Walters, Fyfe, Aish, O'Meara if we don't hit the draft. Let alone losing Sturt and\or Switta as well.

DOCKERS
HF: Simpson, Bolton, M.Frederick
I/C: N.O’Driscoll, Erasmus, M.Johnson, C.Wagner, Warner

P.Voss, J.Draper, L.Reidy, Banfield, Wagner, Simpson.

No doubt the best 22 improves short term, but it absolutely kills our depth.

I think we are a lot better only getting one of Bolton and Warner, keeping players like Sturt, Switta happy, hitting the draft and having a good 25 to 30 players. As we have seen this year, you need more than 23 players to win a premiership.

Yep, it’s why the prospect of missing finals this year is so depressing, did the ladder predictor and if we scrape in it would be Hawks, Cats, Sydney, GWS to claim the flag, with Treacy, Pearce and Darcy (or even just two of them) back it looks doable.

There is not a single team in the finals that I don't think we can beat if we can get those guys back.

I think this is pretty close to our best 22 at the moment.

DOCKERS
HF: B.Banfield, S.Switkowski, M.Frederick
I/C: N.O’Driscoll, N.Fyfe, M.Johnson, C.Wagner, S.Sturt

By 2026 at the latest, Walters, Fyfe, Aish, O'Meara are gone. I don't think they will offer much next year.

If are also losing players like Sturt and Switta, then suddenly our depth starts to get really tested. Banfield, Fyfe, Walters and Jaegar played 100

I really feel we don't have the depth to replace Walters, Fyfe, Aish, O'Meara if we don't hit the draft. Let alone losing Sturt and\or Switta as well.

DOCKERS
HF: Simpson, Bolton, M.Frederick
I/C: N.O’Driscoll, Erasmus, M.Johnson, C.Wagner, Warner

P.Voss, J.Draper, L.Reidy, Banfield, Wagner, Simpson.

No doubt the best 22 improves short term, but it absolutely kills our depth.

I think we are a lot better only getting one of Bolton and Warner, keeping players like Sturt, Switta happy, hitting the draft and having a good 25 to 30 players. As we have seen this year, you need more than 23 players to win a premiership.
Think you just lost any remaining credibility by placing banners on the field instead of Sturt in your current B22!

Bolton is on 1.2 million.
Bolton plus 2 other players on min salary is 1.5 million.
If you sign Bolton, Banfield plays most weeks and at best you have 1 first round pick.

Other option is Sturt - 500k, Baker - 600k, and someone like Richards - 400k.
If you don't, you go to the draft with 3 first rounds picks.

Who cares if Bolton turns up when he comes to WA, in the 5 or 6 games he has played. I don't think it improves our 22, if Sturt and other players are pushed out especially as it costs you multiple first round picks.
Bolton an even 1M

Ideally we end up keeping Sturt and trading in Bolton, however, if you HAVE to choose between the two, Bolton is a no brainer, he's miles ahead of Sturt, would be a massive upgrade.

We have almost our whole spine in the best U22 team, if we are drafting then draft smalls. If we are trading then trade smalls.

We need to turn a handful of under two goal losses into wins, that's it. The brand stands up when we have one of Jackson, Treacy taking marks. Even on the weekend we suddenly looked more dangerous with Voss taking grabs.

Add Bolton and he lands as the number one small forward in the team, everyone else slides down one and suddenly the opposition playing their unaccountable rebounding defender is matched up on Frederick or Sturt and both only need a touch of space to leave their man behind while he thinks about sliding off the side for a cheapy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s our Fritch from the dees, that’s the player I think he most resembles in the way he plays, although this year Sturt is actually applying more pressure than the Dees version.
That's a bit better. But can we perhaps restrict ourselves to comparing him to players from teams less successful than Freo? Doesn't leave us a lot to work with, I know.

I think we make top 4 without any changes. Get another elite forward or two and we are contending.

Not sure how we can stuff up when we are so draft capital rich. After slowly building and meticulously planning our path, they aren’t going to go blow it all on one go. Have some faith.

Even 2018 is now less than a disaster considering the return we got on Shultz. Everything we touch is working out, even if we still fall short on the field.
Wait, we meticulously planned to lose Schultz? So cunning.

If Sturt leaves, are there any medium KPFs in this draft?
Im really confident Sturts not going anywhere but if he did I think we'd look at Jobe Shanahan who's doing really well at vfl senior level in recent times. He's 193cm but super mobile and could play the Sturt role.His stock is rising significantly in recnt times.

If Richmond has the best offer on the table for Sturt, why would they oackage him up in any Bolton, Baker deal. If he doesn’t agree to terms at Freo, Richmond can pick him up No 1 in the PSD.
Richmond aren’t asking for Sturt in any deal going forward and if Freo offer, Richmond says no thanks.

They are going to be in PR mode over losing three players.

Having a player come as part of the deal distorts the value, it makes it look more than it is. Sturt and picks is easier to sell than picks and then Sturt literally after the draft

[/QUOTE]
Expected value in picks plus his yearly salary
I couldn’t give a **** what picks we use or his salary i want to win flags we wont be doing that with kids playing at Peel , half the reason we lost close ones this year is our inexperience we’ve got the base time to trade in experience and class.

I couldn’t give a **** what picks we use or his salary i want to win flags we wont be doing that with kids playing at Peel , half the reason we lost close ones this year is our inexperience we’ve got the base time to trade in experience and class.
[/QUOTE]

Me 2.

I just don't think Bolton is the best way to get a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back