Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The only way that us persuing Jack Martin is okay in any sense, is if we pick up him essentially free and don't have to pay much for him at all.

A guy like him cheap, is worth it in my opinion, means if he CAN play and does play well, we exceed all our expectations for him.

I have a feeling if he came over they'd try and play him in the Best 23, when he really should be someone used as depth.

The only way that us persuing Jack Martin is okay in any sense, is if we pick up him essentially free and don't have to pay much for him at all.

A guy like him cheap, is worth it in my opinion, means if he CAN play and does play well, we exceed all our expectations for him.

I have a feeling if he came over they'd try and play him in the Best 23, when he really should be someone used as depth.

Someone said it earlier. Basically DFA and you’d think ‘Yeah, I guess. Can’t overly hurt’

If it’s any more than that then we’re just not doing our job.

It'll surely be low money and no draft capital as a DFA, but the "asset" you probably fear being used is the list spot itself. We're liable to do the whole "give the extra year in exchange for lower year-to-year salary" strat. And I'm not sure I'd love signing him on 2 years when the range of production can be anywhere btwn "genuine best 22 contender who we manage well" and "Phil Merriman's new best mate".

Someone said it earlier. Basically DFA and you’d think ‘Yeah, I guess. Can’t overly hurt’

If it’s any more than that then we’re just not doing our job.
Not sure I can see a spot on the senior list for him tbh.

If I had a spot on the senior list and it was between Tom Emmett and Jack Martin I'd go Tom Emmett. If they were the same age I'd probably go Jack Martin but they're not. Genuinely serious.

Not sure I can see a spot on the senior list for him tbh.

If I had a spot on the senior list and it was between Tom Emmett and Jack Martin I'd go Tom Emmett. If they were the same age I'd probably go Jack Martin but they're not. Genuinely serious.
You're right. Martin could be Gaz Snr but if he only plays 3 games for the year (and half fit at that) then he might as well be Jack Delean.

You're right. Martin could be Gaz Snr but if he only plays 3 games for the year (and half fit at that) then he might as well be Jack Delean.
But he's borderline best 22 at best even of he's available for all games. But also the type that could occasionally play an amazing game out of nowhere - so basically he'd be best 22 in case it was one.of his good weeks. That isn't enough if you're genuinely competing.

Honestly if he's willing to take a rookie spot and have no guarantees of playing I might be interested depending on what's available. Otherwise he can **** right off.

I find it hard to believe we'd be interested in Jack Martin when part of our problem is the ball waltzing out of our forward line.. he doesn't help fix that..

Jack Martin?

Jesus Christ, gouge my eyes out with a spoon.

Why do we go after all the promising WA talent at the wrong time, O'Meara and Martin would have been ****ing great to have years ago.
They wouldn't have come to us then. We tried to get O'Meara before he went to the Hawks and very few WA guys leave a club like Carlton to come to us until they are washed up.

Jack Martin?
Hasn’t ever played a great game that’s even worthy of a third rounder. Plus injured 70% of the season.

Spud

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do we go after all the promising WA talent at the wrong time, O'Meara and Martin would have been ****ing great to have years ago.
Just thank the lucky stars that we didn’t.
Both went to Carlton and Hawthorn, and been injured majority of the time. JOM did his knee and was never the same
No thanks.

If 12 months ago someone told you we could trade Schultz and our first rounder for Bolton and a bright young prospect(Simpson). Would you have said yes?

Will still have a first and a good second to use in the draft if Baker is out of the picture. Provided we don't do anything stupid and waste a good pick on a Martin type in a trade.

Last edited:
If 12 months ago someone told you we could trade Schultz and our first rounder for Bolton and a bright young prospect(Simpson). Would you have said yes?

Will still have a first and a good second to use in the draft if Baker is out of the picture. Provided we don't do anything stupid and waste a good pick on a Martin type in a trade.
If someone said we could trade Weller for Schultz would you do it??
Probably

But that does not mean you trade Pick 2 for Schultz, once you get that for Weller. Of course not.

Once you get overs for 1 trade, you don't give away the advantage you got because Collingwood surprisingly dropping down the ladder

I find it hard to believe we'd be interested in Jack Martin when part of our problem is the ball waltzing out of our forward line.. he doesn't help fix that..

He's not actually that bad. Wouldn't say he is a pressure machine, but he can at least stick a tackle (a few examples below) and make a smother. He has quite a hard body and uses it. A bit like the Mzungu frame.

I understand the melts based on his age and injury history, but he's an AFL standard forward when he is on the park. He performed well in finals last year when it mattered. And we lack medium forward options even if Sturt stays.

If we need to be giving him 300-400k to sign him up, it's a massive no. If he is on minimum wage and it's a DFA type pick up, it's not the end of the world even if he ends up injured.

He's not actually that bad. Wouldn't say he is a pressure machine, but he can at least stick a tackle (a few examples below) and make a smother. He has quite a hard body and uses it. A bit like the Mzungu frame.

I understand the melts based on his age and injury history, but he's an AFL standard forward when he is on the park. He performed well in finals last year when it mattered. And we lack medium forward options even if Sturt stays.

If we need to be giving him 300-400k to sign him up, it's a massive no. If he is on minimum wage and it's a DFA type pick up, it's not the end of the world even if he ends up injured.

Yeah he basically got the Blues into the finals last year with his play. I guess it's his injury history and age profile, also the fact that we need crumbing agile small forwards with goal nous.
Makes me wonder if we are targeting him because we know Sturt is a big change to depart.

Yeah he basically got the Blues into the finals last year with his play. I guess it's his injury history and age profile, also the fact that we need crumbing agile small forwards with goal nous.
Makes me wonder if we are targeting him because we know Sturt is a big change to depart.
We’re targeting him because Walters is cooked and any new draftees will take a couple of years to come on.

Club would be doing its due diligence on Martin on the presumption he'll get delisted by Blues.

Carlton's S&C management is terrible, so Freo would be assessing whether they can better manage his soft tissue injuries.

Could be a low cost/low probability/high upside DFA opportunity, but then again maybe it isn't - that's what due diligence is for I guess.

Bolton & a fit Martin has more danger than Banfield & Emmett.

If Bolton wants to break his contract with Richmond and play for Freo, why does Freo or Richmond need to cover his wage?

I see a lot of, he'll come to Freo but Richmond will pay some of this wage. Surely he forgoes anything in the Richmond contract and he works out with Freo how much he gets paid.

Start the car! Start the caaaaaaaar!!!
100%!! Now we just need to keep Sturt and Hopefully Switta and that is a serious forward line. Draft this Berry kid everyone keeps going on about with the other first and a winger/outside mid who can kick with the Saints 2nd and we are sweet.

If Bolton wants to break his contract with Richmond and play for Freo, why does Freo or Richmond need to cover his wage?

I see a lot of, he'll come to Freo but Richmond will pay some of this wage. Surely he forgoes anything in the Richmond contract and he works out with Freo how much he gets paid.
Ideally yeah but if you signed a contract for 1.2 million a year are you giving any of that back?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back