Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont consider Aish to be wasted cap space tbh. He wouldnt be on a great deal and is very handy depth for a number of positions. The others are a bit of a nightmare though.
Not that confident in our other HBF depth tbh. At least Aish keeps it at an okay level when we develop someone else.

I interpreted it as not having enough cap space for both Bolton and Pickett which we should do. Especially if Richmond pay some of Bolton's salary.
The number 1 narrative from everyone the whole year has been we want Warner. If it is true that cap is an issue (which would seem odd and piss me off even more given RDs tweets on it), it is because Bolton, Warner AND Pickett is a bridge too far and I mean really, if Carlton does that are we not calling for investigation?

I maintain, Warner can re-sign and I am not ever passing up adding Pickett with Bolton because of cap

Think that’s the real issue, to get Richmond to pay a large chunk of Boltons contract we need to caugh up the good picks 9&10, we probably asked the what it looks like with 9&17 and they said “your paying his salary” so either have the cap space but not the picks, or we have the picks but not the cap space.

Especially when we don’t know what pick ports will end up being. Best case scenario is 13 or 14 which suddenly becomes more appealing then 17 or 18

The number 1 narrative from everyone the whole year has been we want Warner. If it is true that cap is an issue (which would seem odd and piss me off even more given RDs tweets on it), it is because Bolton, Warner AND Pickett is a bridge too far and I mean really, if Carlton does that are we not calling for investigation?

I maintain, Warner can re-sign and I am not ever passing up adding Pickett with Bolton because of cap

We should be fine for cap space shouldnt we? By all reports we have been attempting to pay unders to almost everyone, which has lead to a tonne of players leaving.

Would we have expected to lose players if Schultz, Henry, Blake Acres, Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker, Rory Lobb, Lloyd Meek etc had stayed?

I get that some players have taken off like Treacy, but before him we were planning big money for McDonald. That would be the money for Bolton.

Salary dump of Brodie and a trade of Switta easily gets us enough for Picket.

Then we could do a heap of moves to get enough money to squeeze Warner in.

Fyfe, Jom, Walters , Aish, Brodie.

A fair bit of wasted cash next year.

I'd keep Aish but rid the rest

I think Freo are timing it so next year we have a tone of cap space for Warner if he is interested and Pickett took them by surprise a bit. You wouldn't blink at delisting Banfield knowing Pickett and Bolton are heading over.

We should be fine for cap space shouldnt we? By all reports we have been attempting to pay unders to almost everyone, which has lead to a tonne of players leaving.

Would we have expected to lose players if Schultz, Henry, Blake Acres, Griffin Logue, Darcy Tucker, Rory Lobb, Lloyd Meek etc had stayed?

I get that some players have taken off like Treacy, but before him we were planning big money for McDonald. That would be the money for Bolton.

It's too hard to know, caps are too fluid with the way they are juggled. I would personally think Pickett being on less means him and one of Bolton and Warner is maybe possible without losing anyone this year or next. Someone decent has to go out to get all three IMO, you're talking about needing $3m of capspace

It's too hard to know, caps are too fluid with the way they are juggled. I would personally think Pickett being on less means him and one of Bolton and Warner is maybe possible without losing anyone this year or next. Someone decent has to go out to get all three IMO, you're talking about needing $3m of capspace

Do you still have hope of pickett?

Bolton and Pickett Is a superio combo, Walls needs to forget about Warner. Richmond and Hawthorn dynasties were built on elite small forwards.

I think the Treacy extension would have eaten a fair chunk of the Logan $$ and fair enough, he earned it.
Warner next year means both Fyfe and Walters are gone, so that close to 800k freed up (depending on how much was AFL marketing money) Bolton at 1.2 is the Warner money. If we can get Bolton at 800 and trade out a couple on 4-500 we can probably fit Pickett as well, that’s consistent with the “they have a fair bit on their plate” comments we have heard from a lot of the media.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I suggest to people who think salary cap should not be an issue ... estimate what you think we would be paying Young-Cox-Darcy-Brayshaw-Serong-Jackson (6 biggest), plus Treacy-Amiss-Pearce-Clark-Ryan and anyone else you think is on good coin. Then see how much is left out of the salary cap, which will be $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027.

Let's say we eat up 8 million on the 11 players above (which is pretty easy with 6 x 800k average plus 5 x 550k average). Add Bolton on 800k (Richmond paying the balance) and let's round it to 9 million. It leaves roughly 300k on average for everyone else. You can get there with a mix of 150-500k types of contracts, maybe you can squeeze in a 600k Baker (I have my doubts), but it is tough. If you try throwing in 900k for Pickett or 1.2 million for Warner, it's getting close to impossible unless we have a good system for payments off the books (which I hope we do) or move on a Darcy/Cox type of contract.

Sure, we can eventually remove the contracts of O'Meara, Fyfe, Walters, Aish, etc. That's fine, but that would largely be factored in already and the maths remains the same with ~300k per player after the top end are paid. Look over most of the good clubs and they'd be sitting on around 7 players on "high" salaries. We've got 6 already on our list with Bolton to come. Pushing it to 8 or 9 with Pickett/Warner? If we can pull that off I'd be impressed.

Watch Freo ask the question again or make a push for Warner.

Bolton isn’t the only big name we will push for
I think the Warner talk has cooled because Sydney are in the finals. It’s the professional thing to do from both player and club chasing him.
Wouldn’t be surprised if post finals the talks and media heat up.

God this is so boring can someone make up a rumour and discuss it like it’s actually happening so I can have some entertainment to get me through this night shift
Bailey matera played with a small
Forward currently at another club who is looking at coming back.

We’ve trying to narrow down who it may be.

We’ve got to Willem drew so far.

Bailey matera played with a small
Forward currently at another club who is looking at coming back.

We’ve trying to narrow down who it may be.

We’ve got to Willem drew so far.
Nothing solid on this, just a throw away line.

And it was school footy apparently

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back