NOD - sign
Knobel - sign
Jones - sign or cut
Emmett - cut but potentially rookie
Tabs - cut
Hughes - cut
Corbett - cut
Kuek - cut
Stanley - cut (I do like but spots are tight)
Williams - cut

That leaves 4 main list spots (Bolton & 3x ND picks) plus a couple of rookies depending how things end up.

We always seem to lose or trade players so another spot could open up. Not really a fan of getting Martin but like the idea of filling a late rookie spot with a SSP over another rookie so wouldn’t be terribly upset if they go in that direction.

Last edited:
The list decisions are relatively straightforward this year:

Voss - sign
Reidy - sign
NOD - sign
Knobel - sign
Jones - sign or cut
Tabs - cut
Hughes - cut
Corbett - cut
Kuek - cut

That leaves 4 main list spots (Bolton & 3x ND picks) plus a couple of rookies depending how things end up.

We always seem to lose or trade players so another spot could open up. Not really a fan of getting Martin but like the idea of filling a late rookie spot with a SSP over another rookie so wouldn’t be terribly upset if they go in that direction.
Agree with Stanley a bit there, but we need the space.

The hate towards JOM is a little excessive. Yes he had a slow start to the season after some delays in the PS. Yes he had some games where he didn’t perform to the required level.

He played some different roles for the team in 2024. Some new roles. Not sure that wing is his best position but with some injuries and lack of depth in the role he fulfilled the Wing role with stints at HF and HB. He made a bad decision to play on late in the GWS game. He played well in the game against WC and ok against Port. The three games in between were average. Sharp has some average games on the other wing also.

What is driving me coco is the calls that Will Brodie should have played instead of him. Brodie is no good on the wing. Had very short stints at Peel and didn’t go well. Brodie has a terrible tank. Like back of the running time trial packs.

There is an article about his personal best time trial in his last pre-season at Gold Coast. The article also mentioned that all the boys were finished and clapping him and he encouraging him to the end.

I also then read we need to play Erasmus instead of JOM. I’m an advocate for Erasmus but Erasmus also doesn’t form part of the wing rotation. Erasmus for mine is similar to Fyfe just smaller in body size. He needs to start to replace Fyfe next year. Fyfe to be managed, play sub etc. Erasmus to be brought into the mix more.

I do agree that JOM due to his pecking order now in the team will be in and out of rotations - incl. sub and some games at Peel. Walters, and Aish have dropped to this level. Fyfe unlikely to play at Peel but instead managed more often.

Also the talk about the Meek loss to Hawks being a result of us bringing in JOM is rubbish. We used one of the picks from Lobb to bring in JOM. His first year salary basically paid by Hawks. There many clubs interested in Meek - incl. West Coast. He chose Hawks. Regardless of whether the last min trade of JOM happened or not Meek was on his way to the Hawks.

I have to put up with Eagle supporters telling me consistently now how we lost another good player and players get better after they leave Freo. At the end of the day I’m actually pleased for Meek. He served his time as an understudy developing away at Peel. At one point he was playing a lot of WAFL reserves and found his way into the league side playing full back. What it shows me is our development programs are very good and our talent identification is also very good especially for ruckmen. Hence interest it seems from other clubs in both Reidy and Knobel.

It’s all interesting.

Personally, I think it’s the 4 year deal that seemed crazy and from that you expect more. He’s in the leadership group. On field, there’s an argument he’s not a leader.

I think it’s a worthy debate, when there should be no debate.

I would hope there’s significant phasing out of Fyfe, JOM, Walters and Aish who are currently all ‘safe’ selections.

Carry maybe one.

The list decisions are relatively straightforward this year:

Voss - sign
Reidy - sign
NOD - sign
Knobel - sign
Jones - sign or cut
Tabs - cut
Hughes - cut
Corbett - cut
Kuek - cut

Straightforward? Yes and no.

Kuek is one of a few tricky ones. They've persevered with him as a longer term investment for a few years now, sunk cost fallacy or hold for more return this year?...it'd be one for summing up.

O'Driscoll's signature value could be tricky if he took to the idea of walking out on a club that had supported him so much through injury.

Emmett has shown enough glimpses as a second year player to give at least another year. Good trade presents itself, it might be take and run.

Jones needs more time. A single season on a list ain't generally in the cut table range. He's definitely up for at least one more year your think.

Last edited:
It’s all interesting.

Personally, I think it’s the 4 year deal that seemed crazy and from that you expect more. He’s in the leadership group. On field, there’s an argument he’s not a leader.

I think it’s a worthy debate, when there should be no debate.

I would hope there’s significant phasing out of Fyfe, JOM, Walters and Aish who are currently all ‘safe’ selections.

Carry maybe one.
Personally with the shortage of hardened experience game day, I would want more desperation and edge from O'Meara.

On the other hand, given his injury history, there's probably a sense from the coaching group of better having him out there giving what he's giving, than sidelined in the rehab group all the time.

It’s a difficult balance for the coaching group. You have club greats in Fyfe and Walters. You have vets that are in the leadership group and you have mature agers that have bled purple, but the wheel needs to turn completely.

A team that has:
Fyfe
Walters
JOM
Banfield
Aish

And to a lesser degree:
Switta
Wagner

Is too much to ‘carry’. They’re all dependable, workmanlike players that on any given day can feature somewhere near our best 10 players on game day, but rarely top 5.

There’s also likely no upside to any of them.

Delean has a contract for next year

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That hasn’t been an issue before.

Move him to the rookie list then.

At the end of the day I was responding to the West Australian article about Walters kicking on for another year. My feel is he should be retired again he has a year contract but those matters can be dealt with under the salary cap.

The fact remains if Walters stays on it will cost a younger player a list spot. Plain and simple. Whether that be Emmett or Delean. One of them will need to make way (potentially both and could find themselves on the rookie list).

List management discussion point if we can be objective. Do we think the days of 3 talls up front are done? Is the ideal (and other methods can be varying levels of successful) one genuine clunking tall (Treacy), a mobile hybrid tall (Amiss), a medium and then a fleet of fast running smalls?

If you are confident the three works as much because of what having Jackson as 2nd ruck should be doing in the middle (average year notwithstanding), does Sturt provide enough pace, pressure and ball movement to hold his spot in the future?

Basically, the more I watch of these finals (and even previous years), the more I think the 3 talls and a medium may not be sustainable, particularly because I think Bolton almost is a medium with his leap and marling ability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely!
Sturt is surplus to our F6 if we add Shai.
Not good below the knees and not really an aerial target. Plus Young is going to rest forward. He can get play the 3rd
He and Freddy to battle out for the same place. And id prefer Freddy

List management discussion point if we can be objective. Do we think the days of 3 talls up front are done? Is the ideal (and other methods can be varying levels of successful) one genuine clunking tall (Treacy), a mobile hybrid tall (Amiss), a medium and then a fleet of fast running smalls?

If you are confident the three works as much because of what having Jackson as 2nd ruck should be doing in the middle (average year notwithstanding), does Sturt provide enough pace, pressure and ball movement to hold his spot in the future?

Basically, the more I watch of these finals (and even previous years), the more I think the 3 talls and a medium may not be sustainable, particularly because I think Bolton almost is a medium with his leap and marling ability.
Depends on the three talls. Both Amiss and Jackson (when fully fit) are agile and good at ground level.

I guess with Jackson he would just spend some cameo’s down forward as part of rotations. He would relieve Darcy when Darcy needs a rest but his best work would be as the old ruck rover style.

Amiss, Treacy, Sturt/Banfield and a bunch of pressure forwards working their butt off to keep the ball in the forward line.

Depends on the three talls. Both Amiss and Jackson (when fully fit) are agile and good at ground level.

I guess with Jackson he would just spend some cameo’s down forward as part of rotations. He would relieve Darcy when Darcy needs a rest but his best work would be as the old ruck rover style.

Amiss, Treacy, Sturt/Banfield and a bunch of pressure forwards working their butt off to keep the ball in the forward line.
So on your last point, do you think having Jackson, Amiss, Treacy and Sturt as starting forwards can be successful in September or do you think it's unbalanced and not enough pressure / smalls?

So on your last point, do you think having Jackson, Amiss, Treacy and Sturt as starting forwards can be successful in September or do you think it's unbalanced and not enough pressure / smalls?
I think it can work, but I think there's a bigger likelihood of a different combination working a lot better.

There were games where our forward line looked really good with those guys in it, but at no point did we have good smalls to complement them. So I don't think you can come to any conclusions until we see what it looks like with decent smalls.

I definitely do. It's all about the right plan. But they've all got a tonne of development left in them. Just need more attack from the wings and the mids to rack up a few more goals. Again, potentially, Bolton's a great addition and with more development in O'Driscoll as a mid, plus Young... that'll help in that department.

Jackson is just so mobile, he's a perfect third tall/part time ruck.

Straightforward? Yes and no.

Kuek is one of a few tricky ones. They've persevered with him as a longer term investment for a few years now, sunk cost fallacy or hold for more return this year?...it'd be one for summing up.

O'Driscoll's signature value could be tricky if he took to the idea of walking out on a club that had supported him so much through injury.

Emmett has shown enough glimpses as a second year player to give at least another year. Good trade presents itself, it might be take and run.

Jones needs more time. A single season on a list ain't generally in the cut table range. He's definitely up for at least one more year your think.

I really don’t see the Kuek decision as a tough one. 24y/o next season, never played a game, no chance of being promoted to the senior list, very lightly built as an afl player and coming back from an ACL. One of him or Jones should go but due to age/size/ACL I prefer Jones but honestly if both go, no dramas.

I think it can work, but I think there's a bigger likelihood of a different combination working a lot better.

There were games where our forward line looked really good with those guys in it, but at no point did we have good smalls to complement them. So I don't think you can come to any conclusions until we see what it looks like with decent smalls.
We can take it further and tie it in with the club clearly chasing Warner very hard while getting Bolton at the same time. Incredibly, the defensive balance isn't there and there's only 22 spots on a field. While Bolton/Warner/Brayshaw/Young/Serong is mouthwatering on paper, you need a support mid to do the dirty work, every top team has them, which means basically every one of those names needs to have a 2nd position making best 22 spots even harder to come by.

Last edited:
I really don’t see the Kuek decision as a tough one. 24y/o next season, never played a game, no chance of being promoted to the senior list, very lightly built as an afl player and coming back from an ACL. One of him or Jones should go but due to age/size/ACL I prefer Jones but honestly if both go, no dramas.
I think the coaches really want Kuek to succeed. The upside could be so dazzling.

I definitely do. It's all about the right plan. But they've all got a tonne of development left in them. Just need more attack from the wings and the mids to rack up a few more goals. Again, potentially, Bolton's a great addition and with more development in O'Driscoll as a mid, plus Young... that'll help in that department.

Jackson is just so mobile, he's a perfect third tall/part time ruck.
I agree on Jackson but I think once you have all 4 of those names, you are possibly not getting enough pressure and speed for the modern game. Sturt, Treacy and Jackson are fine for their size, but fine for their size isn't the same as elite small pests

We can take it further and tie it in with the club clearly chasing Warner very hard while getting Bolton at the same time. Incredibly, the defensive balance isn't there and there's only 22 spots on a field. While Bolton/Warner/Brayshaw/Young/Serong is mouthwatering on paper, you need a support mid to do the dirty work, every top team has them, which means basically every one of those names needs to have 2nd position making best 22 spots even hard to come by.
Why I'd prioritise getting Pickett over Warner. Warner is a luxury. Pickett is a need.

This is all also to say just how much better Pickett and one of Bolton/Warner would be than both of the later. The Pickett stuff seems genuine, it means to me, the club has to do what they didn't do with Hogan and say sorry Chad, we've had to pivot. It's really hard to do but the club would be better off

I agree on Jackson but I think once you have all 4 of those names, you are possibly not getting enough pressure and speed for the modern game. Sturt, Treacy and Jackson are fine for their size, but fine for their size isn't the same as elite small pests
Sturt is working on his defensive pressure. He's quick enough and a bonus with his surety before the goals. Treacy scares the crap out of defenders and I would love Voss as super-sub swingman option.

But yes one of two more swarming mid-small forwards wouldn't go astray. Freddy could offer a little more defensively, but I'm not sure that's in his brief.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back