Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think Rowbottom is that fast from what I've seen but I don't watch a lot of Swan's games?
He isn't lightning but he is fast enough

Erasmus is genuinely close to ruckman level slow (it doesn't mean he can't make it, Mick Barlow famously was too, just would get found out on spread nowadays)

Only way we should be prioritising Warner is if he’s definitely requesting a trade the second his seasons over. We should not be passing on Pickett for the chance we get Warner the following year. Sydney are good at keeping them
Absolutely, we should be looking at having at least 2 of Bolton, Pickett, Warner lining up at the start of 2025, (or at least round 4 if it's Pickett)

People are forgetting about Erasmus, he is the perfect prototype for a defensive mid. In fact I think that's the only position he will be successful in. Has size, grunt and a large tank so can tag and do the dirty work. His lack of pace and kicking become less of an issue in that role while elevating the team.
That is what he is. A Dunkley/Tarranto.

We can take it further and tie it in with the club clearly chasing Warner very hard while getting Bolton at the same time. Incredibly, the defensive balance isn't there and there's only 22 spots on a field. While Bolton/Warner/Brayshaw/Young/Serong is mouthwatering on paper, you need a support mid to do the dirty work, every top team has them, which means basically every one of those names needs to have a 2nd position making best 22 spots even harder to come by.
I think with the support mid and the "are we too tall?" discussions, you bring up a number of valid problems, but there's enough workarounds to mask or reverse the negatives

On the fwds, you can do Triple J with Jackson rotating btwn midfield, 2nd ruck and fwd with Sturt and still be at least ok in the ground ball and pressure aspects. But it doesn't work right now coz we have too many mediums/smalls who don't contribute in those respects. Switta is hard carrying in those areas so unless we get multiple players in you gotta hang onto him. Sturt has taken a leap there, and if he can further improve that's great but he's no longer the main culprit. Freddy needs to take a leap in those respects or change position. The rest are a mix of developmental projects and players who are what they are: you gotta take it or leave it. Need guys who can pressure, attack the ground ball and score from that (what makes Switta annoying is if he could score from the ground balls he gets he'd be basically perfect).

The midfield is interesting. I don't think we expected Hayden Young to be quite this good offensively. In the first half of the season, it was him and Fyfe that were talked about as being the defensive guys, but now you can't justify making Young be that. If Chad comes, I think you can make defence by committee work with Brayshaw being the head of it: none of the mids firmly on a leash, none of them with fully free reign either. Apart from the few games Berry played significant midfield minutes, Dunkley was really their defensive guy, but he's so much more than that as a player. Brayshaw can be that.

They're both interesting structures, and a clearer division btwn roles would create less headaches. Oliver Henry, unlike Sturt, isn't asked to really do any of the pressure stuff: he's pretty much a key fwd for Geelong. And then you have eg Sydney and Port midfield wise who have a clear division btwn the stars and the workhorses. But, if done right, the team's ceiling would be limitless.

Warner has been absolutely blanketed this game. Great offensive player but not great at winning his own ball and imposing himself on the contest. It will hold him back from being a top 10 player. Young on the other hand...

I’m not sure you can make that argument while we have shit small forwards who can’t kick goals.

You reckon it can’t work with Bolton instead of Emmett? Emmett, tripping over his own feet running into the forward line, or Bolton showing the ball while kicking snags..
But I'm saying I'd rather the actual elite small forward? Not following how this applies to what I said. If we have Bolton and Warner both playing a fair bit up front.

I think with the support mid and the "are we too tall?" discussions, you bring up a number of valid problems, but there's enough workarounds to mask or reverse the negatives

On the fwds, you can do Triple J with Jackson rotating btwn midfield, 2nd ruck and fwd with Sturt and still be at least ok in the ground ball and pressure aspects. But it doesn't work right now coz we have too many mediums/smalls who don't contribute in those respects. Switta is hard carrying in those areas so unless we get multiple players in you gotta hang onto him. Sturt has taken a leap there, and if he can further improve that's great but he's no longer the main culprit. Freddy needs to take a leap in those respects or change position. The rest are a mix of developmental projects and players who are what they are: you gotta take it or leave it. Need guys who can pressure, attack the ground ball and score from that (what makes Switta annoying is if he could score from the ground balls he gets he'd be basically perfect).

The midfield is interesting. I don't think we expected Hayden Young to be quite this good offensively. In the first half of the season, it was him and Fyfe that were talked about as being the defensive guys, but now you can't justify making Young be that. If Chad comes, I think you can make defence by committee work with Brayshaw being the head of it: none of the mids firmly on a leash, none of them with fully free reign either. Apart from the few games Berry played significant midfield minutes, Dunkley was really their defensive guy, but he's so much more than that as a player. Brayshaw can be that.

They're both interesting structures, and a clearer division btwn roles would create less headaches. Oliver Henry, unlike Sturt, isn't asked to really do any of the pressure stuff: he's pretty much a key fwd for Geelong. And then you have eg Sydney and Port midfield wise who have a clear division btwn the stars and the workhorses. But, if done right, the team's ceiling would be limitless.
It sounds odd but I'd think if we somehow get both Warner and Bolton, Youngs second position actually needs to be defence because no one else in the midfield can go there.

Warner has been absolutely blanketed this game. Great offensive player but not great at winning his own ball and imposing himself on the contest. It will hold him back from being a top 10 player. Young on the other hand...
I think this is why one of Warner or Bolton is perfect. We have the guys to feed it to them to make the flashier plays. Unlike Sydney as well, who don't have anything useful up front, it wouldn't be "stop the midfield stop the team"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we have been planning for Warner over the last couple of years, which we have. And we reportedly made big offers to Logan McDonald and Gulden and Baker, then surely we must have cap space for all of Pickett, Bolton and Warner.
It sounds logical, but I doubt that’s the case

If we have been planning for Warner over the last couple of years, which we have. And we reportedly made big offers to Logan McDonald and Gulden and Baker, then surely we must have cap space for all of Pickett, Bolton and Warner.
Treacy's value went up and Baker was probably being decided on when we were starting to pull out of Logan

Except you'd argue Gulden offer was a load of shit just pushing up his price as much as possible and getting him rules out McDonald. Then you'd say Baker is less than Pickett and the McDonald/Gulden money is at least partly going to Treacy.

There is no way we can fit in 3m of capspace without losing at least one highly paid player. Probably more.

But I'm saying I'd rather the actual elite small forward? Not following how this applies to what I said. If we have Bolton and Warner both playing a fair bit up front.

And I’m saying 3 talls plus Sturt may work better with two elite small forwards not two potatoes

We would already have accounted for Warner, that still leaves big offers for Logan and Errol, and the offer for Baker.

That is still big $$$$ despite Treacy's contract.
Then at best, that's Bolton, not Bolton AND Pickett.

I'm happy to see how it goes but I think it's too tall in the modern game, even with Sturt improving his defensive side.

I dunno.
I’d like Jackson to thin out a little to get some
More mobility but Sturt is fast enough and he’s deadly by foot.

I think Bolton changes a hell of a lot

Except you'd argue Gulden offer was a load of shit just pushing up his price as much as possible and getting him rules out McDonald. Then you'd say Baker is less than Pickett and the McDonald/Gulden money is at least partly going to Treacy.

There is no way we can fit in 3m of capspace without losing at least one highly paid player. Probably more.
Lucky for us we have one player on good money that we can get off the books that will have little affect on our team performance

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back