• Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Martin ffs

So let me get this straight , the club is hesitant to offer more than a base deal for died in the wool freo player with big upside (already shown too) in Nod due to his injury concerns but are quite happy to throw ****en mercenary Martin a deal coz , like he’s more likely to be fit and available and add “something” I assume?

FMD this club
Can we do a Jack Martin for Will Brodie trade with Brodie ending up at North or Richmond? I like Will but I cant see him getting a game for us bar an injury catastrophe.

Can we do a Jack Martin for Will Brodie trade with Brodie ending up at North or Richmond? I like Will but I cant see him getting a game for us bar an injury catastrophe.
I would do it because whatever he's on is too much. Makes Martin a net positive even in a straight swap because Brodie is a cap dump at this stage.

A 28th round pick is still overs.

Waste of list space
Yea I’m seeing no upside in this what so ever , at what point does “almost never fit and available “for basically his entire career and especially the last 3/4 years actually count for something ??

I mean he’s not even that talented a player ffs .
Basically carved an entire AFL career out based off his “potential “ snd the fact he went pk1 in mini draft

The blokes a charlatan

Knowing how we are at the trade table it'll be NOD and the Saints 2nd for broken down 30 year old Martin, Straight into the leadership group.

Na cos he delisted himself

Technically previously delisted players are unrestricted free agents anyway. He’s not that because he didn’t spend long enough at either Gold Coast or Carlton and he was offered a contract by Gold Coast when he moved to Carlton via the PSD.

Only real difference between an unrestricted free agent and delisted free agent is one gets the team a compensation pick and the other doesn’t. Also delisted free agency runs later - not sure it’s ever happened but I believe you can even sign DFAs to the senior list between the National and Rookie Drafts.

Still don’t think they’d be any other outcome if we didn’t trade him than him joining us as a delisted free agent.

So, by your own account, he looked average in 2023. It required ‘something to click’ and now he deserves 2 years?

I’m not saying he won’t be offered 2 years but he’s yet to prove anything and if it takes his brother losing his chance to make him ‘click’ is he actually invested?

If these guys aren’t balls to the wall in their drive in the first place then what are we doing?
Injuries are a factor here as well in all fairness. Sturt looked awful in the pre-season and in his first few WAFL games this season coz of that knee. And at some point the switch flipped. NOD's been battling his own health demons particularly with knee issues as well, and the switch flipped early July for him coming back from the last in a series of medium-term knee injuries.

Honestly in an ideal world I'd probably agree that, with a talent this temperamental, I'd rather do the 1 + 1 year type thing we did with Sturt in 2022 (though I think NOD has shown more now than Sturt did then). But it's not the hill you die on if it means losing a player who could be a fairly important piece in the team for years to come.

He is talented and worth more than that would be my reason.

He looks a step above WAFL level IMO, this is coming from someone who was absolutely gobsmacked with his 2022, before that and in 2023 he genuinely looked average at WAFL level, something has clicked with him (maybe AOD losing his chance has changed him?)

He genuinely looks good at WAFL level now and we have seen he can have impact at AFL level, 2 years is a no brainer now
I only watched about half of his games at Peel so I could be wrong but I thought after he came back from his injury his disposal had improved a ton in terms of his long kicking and good hands in close in both his Peel games and his 5 quarters of afl football.

Lots of discussion on NOD.

In all seriousness why should he get offered more than 1 year or 1 with a trigger by Freo? He’s done little in 3 years. He’s come good towards the end of this season.

Should get 1 with a trigger.

If someone wants to offer 3 years and he wants to take that then good on him.

If he’s actually got confidence in himself he should sign the 1-2 year with Freo and back himself in.
Why? Because players like Worner got 2 based off 2 games in a season. He hasn’t broken into the team.
JOM has 4 years based on reputation.
Cox and Darcy got 6 based on potential. They’re frequently injured.

1 year isn’t safe, nor secure in a short career in AFL. Players want security for their future.

Sturt got 2 after not playing all of 2022 and only played 31 games since 2020.

NOD‘s best footy is easily B22. He was a break out in 2022.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries are a factor here as well in all fairness. Sturt looked awful in the pre-season and in his first few WAFL games this season coz of that knee. And at some point the switch flipped. NOD's been battling his own health demons particularly with knee issues as well, and the switch flipped early July for him coming back from the last in a series of medium-term knee injuries.

Honestly in an ideal world I'd probably agree that, with a talent this temperamental, I'd rather do the 1 + 1 year type thing we did with Sturt in 2022 (though I think NOD has shown more now than Sturt did then). But it's not the hill you die on if it means losing a player who could be a fairly important piece in the team for years to come.
Sturt had a very good end to last year... and was made to work for any opportunity at it too.

O'Driscoll's best (or even just up to the level) was rapidly becoming a very long time in the rearview mirror and (somewhat unkindly) almost looked like a fluke by the way he was playing last year.

Whatever the vague notion of "a switch flipping" is, there is a mix of different factors involved. Talent, commitment and physical durability amongst them. It's the physical durability that's the worry for O'Driscoll. Very hard for anyone to put faith in that long term.

Man, if 10 years ago you told me Freo ended up with 3 of the 4 mega-hyped mini-draft picks I would have assumed we were destined for a premiership dynasty.

But if you then told me 2 of the 3 turned out f**king useless, while the 3rd was f**king useless while he was here before becoming a Coleman medallist after being traded back out for a packet of chips... well then I'd go 'yep, that sounds more like my Freo'.

Lots of hysterics over Martin. He's probably going to be on minimum wage, so it's not really that big a deal. Signing Martin might actually help us keep the likes of Noddy because every player on minimum chips gives us more room for the rest.

He might not be a star, but he's still AFL standard. Was very good for Carlton in the finals last year. He's a better forward than Banfield, Emmett and the current versions of Walters, Simpson and Delean. If he ends up injured all year, it's not going to break our list.

Lots of hysterics over Martin. He's probably going to be on minimum wage, so it's not really that big a deal. Signing Martin might actually help us keep the likes of Noddy because every player on minimum chips gives us more room for the rest.

He might not be a star, but he's still AFL standard. Was very good for Carlton in the finals last year. He's a better forward than Banfield, Emmett and the current versions of Walters, Simpson and Delean. If he ends up injured all year, it's not going to break our list.
Don’t disagree, however , if he is out injured all year I want whomever Ticked off his medical to be shown the door.

Knobels still the one I'll be most gutted on unless he's massively decreasing the draft pick price of a trade. He's perfect insurance for Darcy not staying on the park within the next two years and beyond.
The issue is, in two years he’ll be too good to only get a game when Darcy is injured, then we have Meek mkII and he leaves for opportunity where he can be No1 ruck.

Last edited:
The issue is, in two years he’ll be too good to only get a game when Darcy is injured, then we Meek mkII and he leaves for opportunity where he can be No1 ruck.
Or Darcy’s still providing us with same output he is now , injuries ,fitness and chunks of games missed included so we send him on his way and give big Maxy the keys to the No1 ruck position

Last edited:
Why? Because players like Worner got 2 based off 2 games in a season. He hasn’t broken into the team.
JOM has 4 years based on reputation.
Cox and Darcy got 6 based on potential. They’re frequently injured.

1 year isn’t safe, nor secure in a short career in AFL. Players want security for their future.

Sturt got 2 after not playing all of 2022 and only played 31 games since 2020.

NOD‘s best footy is easily B22. He was a break out in 2022.

I’m not saying it’s fair. I’d love to just give the bloke 3 years and hope he plays to his potential.

I’m unsure any of your examples aid your argument. You’re literally saying long term deals now look stupid for our injured players whilst advocating for NOD to get a longer term deal when he’s had his own injury issues!

Plus, we don’t even know what’s been offered etc. Likely, lots of jumping at shadows like Sturt.

If he leaves for a 3 year deal over a 2 year deal I won’t lose sleep.

You either want to be here and work hard to prove yourself or you want to be elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back