Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What makes anyone think that JLo cares about forward half pressure? We were one of the poorest ones all season and he didn't seem to make any changes to try and rectify that.
i guess when your options to add in some chase and pressure come down to tom emmett and banfield and some first year players, youd probably be a bit hesitant to change things up in a forward line that was mostly kicking

Our forward line is our problem. Ball waltz's out of there consistently.
That's how modern day AFL teams score, from the back half. Turnovers in oppo forward lines are KPI's these days, coz it gets the oppo in a compromised situation.
If Longmuir doesn't get that, he's toast
from the back half? i think 90% of teams atm score from turnovers in the forward half. if youre only getting turnovers in your defensive half, youre probably already pressed up into the 50 with the oppo having spares behind the ball, not exactly an efficient way to generate scores

Freddy is a much greater goal threat than Garcia.
Yes he is however we are complaining about touching the ball and laying tackles in Freddy's game ie. get more involved. Garcia getting more disposals and more tackles provides more opportunity for goals by himself or others.

What makes anyone think that JLo cares about forward half pressure? We were one of the poorest ones all season and he didn't seem to make any changes to try and rectify that.
Because we were doing it prior to this season much better. The decline in Walters game hasn't helped. There is nobody on the list that will improve it.

We didn't have the players to address it.

Who could he have played, that would have provided pressure and a goal threat.

Yes he is however we are complaining about touching the ball and laying tackles in Freddy's game ie. get more involved. Garcia getting more disposals and more tackles provides more opportunity for goals by himself or others.

Have you watched Garcia play? He doesn't impact scoring, his goals and goal assist numbers were both well below par. He essentially would play the Switta role if he left.

Martin makes sense if we’re also planning on taking Berry in the draft, Martin replaces Walters for 2 years while Berry develops his body/game at peel, I don’t think Martin makes sense if we’re also targeting Pickett, who’d start ahead of him.
Bolton is already replacing Emmett/Banfield.
Martin also makes sense if we’re having a red hot crack at Warner.
Berry might be best available at ports pick tbh

Have you watched Garcia play? He doesn't impact scoring, his goals and goal assist numbers were both well below par. He essentially would play the Switta role if he left.
IF Martin gets on the park with any regularity he has shown he can impact both with turnovers and transition. It's just a massive massive if.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF Martin gets on the park with any regularity he has shown he can impact both with turnovers and transition. It's just a massive massive if.

I don't mind a throw at the stumps with Jack Martin. The cost will be very low and the reward if he plays could be great. BUT, if he's the player that JLo is getting to help with forward half pressure then thats a worry. As you said, he's more likely to play under 5 games than over.

Maybe that why have been linked with Richards & garcia?

Richards would be OK but he reportedly has a 4 year deal from Port so I highly doubt we match that and Garcia absolutely doesn't help with forward pressure. He's an inside mid playing HHF in the AFL, he gets his tackles from being an extra number at the contest not from harassing the ground ball inside 50s.

Richards would be OK but he reportedly has a 4 year deal from Port so I highly doubt we match that and Garcia absolutely doesn't help with forward pressure. He's an inside mid playing HFF in the AFL, he gets his tackles from being an extra number at the contest not from harassing the ground ball inside 50s.
This matches my thoughts 100%

Sturt Treacy Jackson
Bolton Amiss Martin

I have two massive concerns if we line up in round 1 next year like this.

1. We won't provide enough forward pressure. It will be less than this year, when we were in the bottom 4 teams in the comp.
2. You lose half of the value of Bolton, if you pigeon hole him as a forward pocket. Ideally, you play him as the 7th forward, and this gives him the freedom to run through the midfield for small stints. (5 mins per quarter)

I think Martin at this best is a highly skilled half forward (playing the same role as O'Meara, but with better skills), he could also play the half back role if he was fully fit. I don't think it solves the face we don't have an AFL ready small forward on our list.

Watched his highlights. He is a good 2 foot player. Good skills, better mark than what I thought and dangerous in the contest. (Based on highlights only )
Not one run down tackle, there were a few in the contest. He really plays as a 4th tall, and often finds space on the lead.

Martins pressure is very good when fit. Generally only an offensive threat when he's in and out of the team with injury but he was awesome defensively in the finals and in the patches he did get extended runs at playing time.

Martins pressure is very good when fit. Generally only an offensive threat when he's in and out of the team with injury but he was awesome defensively in the finals and in the patches he did get extended runs at playing time.

So we just need him to have a good injury run. :)

Gotta love how posters who are all too happy to rag on other posters for “projecting” their views of different scenarios about jlo and the club in a negative light about what they did/didn’t do aka freo1997 etc on coaches playing injured players*
but then in the very next criticism “our team doesn’t value pressure “ they immediately project themselves - “oh nahhhhh that’s not true ,hE jUSt dOnT HaV dA pLAyeRs”

So your telling me despite the stats (basically the evidence) all year showing our pressure was sub par and nearly always below 180 and then in the final 3 weeks of our season on the line ,spot in the finals whilst our opponents regularly ran up ratings of 220+ we continued to hover around the 170 mark topping 200 only fleetingly in very small patches was all due to not having “the” players ??

Umm can some one enlighten me how our players are just so different to every other teams that they’re incapable of pressuring??

cope much?

* also yes medicos get things wrong , a lot more than you think btw ,see petracca as perfect example !… the bloke had to have a life saving operation ffs yet “qualified medicos AND ]Simon Goodwin were fine with him going back out on the field.
Hinkley put clearly concussed players back on the field before too… coaches want to win and medicos have previously said of the pressure they feel under to clear players .

But not our medicos and coach right?.. they’re different to other teams .. just like our players are not suited to pressuring as well I suppose!!?

News flash : People make mistakes , including Jlo!!

Who was he meant to bring in? he can only work with what he has on list

I agree, there are few options who can be brought in to help with forward half pressure.

Surely there is some improvement available by coaching the existing forwards to make chasing and tackling part of their game? Treacy and Switta are reasonable at it.

Players can definitely add strengths to their role within the team. Treacy for instance has greatly improved his marking this season and that has been part of what helped to elevate him into one of the best KPFs in the AFL.

I agree, there are few options who can be brought in to help with forward half pressure.

Surely there is some improvement available by coaching the existing forwards to make chasing and tackling part of their game? Treacy and Switta are reasonable at it.

Players can definitely add strengths to their role within the team. Treacy for instance has greatly improved his marking this season and that has been part of what helped to elevate him into one of the best KPFs in the AFL.

You could easily argue he has done this with Sturt, and he looks pretty good in the back half of the year.

I will back JL this year, but watch him closely. I also hope we give him a few more players in the forward line to work with, so he has a good chance of succeeding.

Yes I have watched him and he strikes me as exactly what the Cats and Hawks are doing with their 'small forwards' which I would call them forward midfielders. These teams have 3 Swittas in their forward lines.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back