Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes I have watched him and he strikes me as exactly what the Cats and Hawks are doing with their 'small forwards' which I would call them forward midfielders. These teams have 3 Swittas in their forward lines.

No they don't, Cats have Miers who is similar to Switta but gets a lot more of the ball. The other smalls at the Cats are goal scoring threats, Garcia isn't.

Who are the three Swittas at the Hawks? All their smalls are capable of kicking multiple goals.

Yes I have watched him and he strikes me as exactly what the Cats and Hawks are doing with their 'small forwards' which I would call them forward midfielders. These teams have 3 Swittas in their forward lines.

Watson and Ginnivan are true small forwards, who may push up the ground but their primary responsibilities are tackle, kick goals and duck to draw high free kicks.

Richards would be OK but he reportedly has a 4 year deal from Port so I highly doubt we match that and Garcia absolutely doesn't help with forward pressure. He's an inside mid playing HHF in the AFL, he gets his tackles from being an extra number at the contest not from harassing the ground ball inside 50s.
Think you underrate Garcia pressure

Watson and Ginnivan are true small forwards, who may push up the ground but their primary responsibilities are tackle, kick goals and duck to draw high free kicks.
Yeah definitely Watson but Ginnivan isn't that small. My point is they are playing like mids, they both go up the ground and back.

Yeah, this is my great frustration.

We have interviewed Berry a lot, so I can hope we get him.
Genuine question - how do you know how many times we have interviewed various players?

I’ve seen this comment thrown about a lot “we have interviewed X player several times”

Unless people on here know Joe berry I cant see how that is possibly public knowledge?

Not having a go at all by the way just genuinely curious

Genuine question - how do you know how many times we have interviewed various players?

I’ve seen this comment thrown about a lot “we have interviewed X player several times”

Unless people on here know Joe berry I cant see how that is possibly public knowledge?

Not having a go at all by the way just genuinely curious

One of the in the know people, mentioned we had interview him the most of any draftee (or it could have been the top 2).

someone tagged me. I can't find the post.

If we get him I hope that's the case. Personally I think people look at his tackle numbers and assume that will translate to forward half pressure. I also don't want both Switta and Garcia in the same forward line when neither can kick a goal.
I'm not all for getting him but these are the players we are linked with

I don't mind a throw at the stumps with Jack Martin. The cost will be very low and the reward if he plays could be great. BUT, if he's the player that JLo is getting to help with forward half pressure then thats a worry. As you said, he's more likely to play under 5 games than over.
Also as a coach I'd prefer not to have the disruption of sweating on a player's fitness so frequently.

I'm not all for getting him but these are the players we are linked with

Thats fair. For some reason I watched a fair bit of the Dogs VFL this year, Garcia is a very very good state league inside mid. I just haven't seen that translate to a forward role in the AFL, whenever I watched him play he was playing very high and rarely impacted the ball inside 50. He had 0.7 tackles per game inside 50 compared to Freddys 0.6 and I think we all are in agreement that Freddy doesn't impact enough on that end.

How much would Jack Martin cost? Surely very little. Bit of a free hit, best case scenario he gets himself injury free and plays games in a position of need. Low risk, decent reward, seems like a good go to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much would Jack Martin cost? Surely very little. Bit of a free hit, best case scenario he gets himself injury free and plays games in a position of need. Low risk, decent reward, seems like a good go to me

If I was in charge, you would let him train with the club and if he stayed injury free until January or Feb, you add him to the list.

At least this way, you get 2 months of seeing him train, and understand how his body is going.

If his contract costs us NOD from a salary cap perspective, you give the extra $$$ money to NOD.

That’s what people are worried about.

We are paying a bunch of potato (1-2 good games a year) players over 27 years of age, for not much return. Potential return of NOD is much higher.

Not sure if we have enough numbers in the forwardline to put on any pressure. We are often out-numbered by 3 or so opposition. It might have more to do with numbers than personnel. Considering one of our forwards tends to be brought up as an extra to the stoppage and therefore is a good chance to leave an opposition loose man in our forwardline.

Not sure if we have enough numbers in the forwardline to put on any pressure. We are often out-numbered by 3 or so opposition. It might have more to do with numbers than personnel. Considering one of our forwards tends to be brought up as an extra to the stoppage and therefore is a good chance to leave an opposition loose man in our forwardline.
yeah im sure its a two parter, mostly down to a system preference. numbers at the contest, win the ball and run it forward to more isolated contests. this falls down a bit when we dont kick it to treacy whos about the only reliable contested mark ahead of the ball. jackson and amiss improve in that regard and we should win more games

If his contract costs us NOD from a salary cap perspective, you give the extra $$$ money to NOD.

That’s what people are worried about.

We are paying a bunch of potato (1-2 good games a year) players over 27 years of age, for not much return. Potential return of NOD is much higher.

How are those players related? I'm a bit out of the loop on contracts. We definitely don't want to lose NOD.

But I would've thought we knew we were interested in Martin a while out, e.g. when we signed up Banfield for an extra 2 + 1 years who plays in a similar position.

We didn't have the players to address it.

Who could he have played, that would have provided pressure and a goal threat.
Forward pressure isn't a skill, it's a mindset. If Jlo wanted someone like Frederick to be a high pressure forward he could do that. But Jlo doesn't ask that of the players. Frederick is nearly always looking to run goal side when the ball is 50/50. Not to apply tackling pressure. Have a look at the Port final when Horne Francis kicks one of his goals (3rd quarter?). There's a contest about 10m from Fr. And HF. Our player collects the ball, Frederick immediately runs towards our goal. HF waits. Our player is tackled, ball spills, ends up with HF who goals. Frederick is nowhere near the ball.
That's a clear instruction that if we look like getting possession, Frederick is to break forwards.
In our F50, Frederick is almost never front and square at the contest. That's the best place to be to a) get the ball from the contest and b) be in position to apply pressure to the defender who will be running towards you with the ball or be going laterally, where Frederick can chase and pressure those disposals.
It's completely a coaching thing and if Jlo is not giving those instructions and the players are doing it they should be dropped for some who will. But given Frederick plays whenever fit, he obviously doing what the coach asks.

Forward pressure isn't a skill, it's a mindset. If Jlo wanted someone like Frederick to be a high pressure forward he could do that. But Jlo doesn't ask that of the players. Frederick is nearly always looking to run goal side when the ball is 50/50. Not to apply tackling pressure. Have a look at the Port final when Horne Francis kicks one of his goals (3rd quarter?). There's a contest about 10m from Fr. And HF. Our player collects the ball, Frederick immediately runs towards our goal. HF waits. Our player is tackled, ball spills, ends up with HF who goals. Frederick is nowhere near the ball.
That's a clear instruction that if we look like getting possession, Frederick is to break forwards.
In our F50, Frederick is almost never front and square at the contest. That's the best place to be to a) get the ball from the contest and b) be in position to apply pressure to the defender who will be running towards you with the ball or be going laterally, where Frederick can chase and pressure those disposals.
It's completely a coaching thing and if Jlo is not giving those instructions and the players are doing it they should be dropped for some who will. But given Frederick plays whenever fit, he obviously doing what the coach asks.

Forward pressure is a skill, as well as a mind set. Some players live for it.

A slow player who has the turning circle of the QE2, will never provide good forward pressure.

You need to be quick, read the play well so you are in the right spots at the right time, have good fitness so you can repeat the pressure otherwise will never provide elite forward pressure.

Frederick is someone who should be able to provide better pressure, but maybe his fitness is holding him back.

Swapping out Walters for a quick, nimble small forward would help a lot.

They wanted the F2 we got from Lobb trade. We were never trading an F2. They then got their knickers all knotted up about us then using it as part of the JOM trade. The whole thing was bizarre and then they complained about us afterwards. Then proceeded to play Sharp for zero AFL games when he was fully fit and playing the season at VFL.
I heard the JOM trade was last minute so threw original plans out the window.. my understanding is Freo had discussions well progressed with Gold Coast on Sharp, i assume had factored his salary beinfg removed from TPP, which explains why he never played as likely had a per match fee they didn’t want to pay. When JoM happened on last day and Freo needed to make a call and took him, I actually understand the frustration from Gold Coast here but equally it was the best decisions for our club.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back